The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic options for Bassman Condenser Microphones
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Guru

ok tough guy .. LOL .. no worries .. a Dimed out amp would probably crush the 4038 for sure at 2 feet unless the Null was facing the Amp .. haha .. funny .. i use it in front of a Bass Amp and my Ampeg Reverb Rocket but not Dimed out . no .. cheers john
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Guru

ok tough guy ... LOL .. you are correct a Dimed out Amp would be a rough deal .. cheers and a have a good evening .. john
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Qn: anyone tried a 77dx about 3 feet away with volume on amp slightly under 3, near breaking point? Then maybe a 57 by the grill?
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Qn: anyone tried a 77dx about 3 feet away with volume on amp slightly under 3, near breaking point? Then maybe a 57 by the grill?
yes with a 77d, but it had to be further out than 3 ft. ended up using it in non directional with the v1 roll off. sounded awesome. raoyer was the spot mic, though
Old 14th September 2015
The usual suspects will always work. I find a Bassman to sound super clear/huge and larger then life almost if you're going for that I have very surprisingly good luck with a Lawson L47 on mine 6+ inches away. I usually haaaaate condensers on guitar.. but clean guitar they usually seem to be the ticket. also th 57+royer combo is good. m160 is good.. might need something else in there too.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi Clarence,

Seeing all of the recommendations for ribbons brings to mind... I have not forgotten about the Coles. As soon as I get em back from Wes I will drop em off.

Also, I have a pair of Royers. The Royer might be the perfect mic for that amp.

Perhaps the Church Cine-mic may beat out the ribbons on occasion.

A 57 will sound good as usual.

Try running some of your keys thru it too.

For bass keep the amp low volume, and throw the mic back a few feet further than the usual close mic for guitar. For bass the Church mic or the 47fet might be the ticket... maybe the Coles too?
Old 14th September 2015
Dipole mics never worked great for me, it's always the rear lobe pickup that gives me issues. Close up they capture the reverse phase signal and mix that in with proximity effect = mush. Further back they pick up my less than Carnegy Hall room. I'd rather use a great omni mic than a dipole.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru View Post
Hi As soon as I get em back from Wes I will drop em off.
Also, I have a pair of Royers. The Royer might be the perfect mic for that amp.

A 57 will sound good as usual.

Try running some of your keys thru it too.

For bass keep the amp low volume, and throw the mic back a few feet further than the usual close mic for guitar. For bass the Church mic or the 47fet might be the ticket... maybe the Coles too?
Thanks Jeff. Yes when ready is cool. I'm experimenting on mics and the song and part are also playing a roll in what is probably going to be used.
I'll definitely try the 47fet and also keys for sure!
Thanks again bro and chat soon!
C
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

BTW,

The Royers are great if the amp is turned up.

If the amp is not that loud the Coles will excel! Actually, many feel that the Coles often sound better than the Royers. It is that the Royers hold up to SPL better than most other ribbons.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

An SM7 and a condenser or a ribbon depending if you're wanting it to sit more in the midrange or low end.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search