The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any love for the Tube Tech CL2A? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Any love for the Tube Tech CL2A?

Looking for a two-channel compressor for vocals and acoustic instruments. Anyone using/happy with the CL2A in these applications?
Old 5th September 2015
Exactly fitting for this application.
Warm and more or less clean tone.
Rejuvenating cure for vocals.

Love mine !

R.
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Exactly fitting for this application.
Warm and more or less clean tone.
Rejuvenating cure for vocals.

Love mine !

R.
Great to hear - thanks!
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Been looking at one I found here locally but afraid to pull the trigger on it....
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Been looking at one I found here locally but afraid to pull the trigger on it....
What are you afraid of..?
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Don't go thinking that the CL2A is going to be like a CL1B. Similar but much more subtle. I was foolish enough to accept the hype that a CL2A was a dual CL1B as it was advertised. When I first got mine I was pretty disappointed compared to a CL1B I had experience with. I've embraced it's subtle nature and often I'll run one channel into the other to get more character. I'll re-tube it one day as that may help, but there are so many other choices that I now prefer and find more useful for the money if I had to choose again.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
What are you afraid of..?
I am afraid of exactly what AudioGaff stated above this post. Also afraid to part with the money until my new studio is completed. Waiting of flooring and doors at the moment and it a pretty expensive part of the construction build.
Old 8th September 2015
Here for the gear
The Pendulum OCL2 is also a great option! Little bit more transparent and hifi sounding to my taste!
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Addict

I use it for vocal after TubeTech MMC1A. Maybe it is not CL1B, but can't say anything bad about it.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
Don't go thinking that the CL2A is going to be like a CL1B. Similar but much more subtle. I was foolish enough to accept the hype that a CL2A was a dual CL1B as it was advertised. I'll re-tube it one day as that may help, but there are so many other choices that I now prefer and find more useful for the money if I had to choose again.
I wasn't under the impression it was a stereo CL1B - just a solid 2-channel clean opto compressor on vocals and acoustic instruments. Curious what choices you currently prefer in the 2-channel configuration?
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

For optical on the clean side, I prefer Pendulum OCL-2, Buzz Audio SOC-1. Other opticals I find more useful, LA2A, LA3A, Groove Tubes Cl1s, Manley EL-Op.

When CL2A first came out it was touted as being a dual channel CL1B. Perhaps nearly the same in overall design, but surely not the same in sound or tone.
Old 10th September 2015
I'm a big fan of the LA2A on voice, bass, pretty much anything...

Haven't used the 2ch Tubetech, but I've used the CL1B many times @ Bedrock. It's kind of like an less vibey LA2A with much more control... more hifi/modern sounding. I'd choose an LA2A any day.

I know it's kind of a tangent, but the Zener Limiter is magical on much more than the drum bus... it does clean and extreme vocal compression very well. Check it out.

I was not a fan of the pendulum BTW... it had a weird sound to it I didn't like on a lot of material. YMMV tho...
Old 10th September 2015
Here for the gear

The Inward Connections TSL-4 Vac Rac for a 2-channel opto. I love mine.
Sold my LA2A. It will do vocals and acoustic instruments with minimal fussing with knobs and is almost always my first choice for an opto.
Sometimes I go to an LA3A, but that is a for a slightly different sonic vibe and action......
The Tube-Tech is nice too don't get me wrong. I would be okay if I showed up to a session and had to use the tube tech as my only opto....there is certainly nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by DRR1981; 10th September 2015 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Added
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

The main difference between it and the CL1b is the lack of makeup gain. 10db compared to 30db, so you can't get nearly as aggressive with the gain reduction, which is where the opto units really shine. But for subtle compression, it's very nice, and works well in combination with a second compressor/limiter to add a bit of thickness to a VCA or FET comp.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Since your still looking around take a look at the nail compressor by a designs I ise it on many applications .
Old 12th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Anyone find the cl2a too "round" sounding on acoustic guitar?

Last edited by adirondack; 13th September 2015 at 08:00 PM..
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
Anyone find the cl2a too "round" sounding on acoustic guitar?
Ya, sometimes. Depends on the Ac Gtr and how it is played. Not usually an issue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search