The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500: Anyone Tracking Dual Mono Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

API 2500: Anyone Tracking Dual Mono

Looking at this compressor and understand although two channels, compression is limited to one set of controls for ration/attack/release/etc. But anyone using this unit dual mono when tracking from two different instrument sources?
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Guru

Generally, with a stereo compressor with one set of controls, you opt to use it as a mono comp without patching in the other side if you want to use it on a mono source.
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Generally, with a stereo compressor with one set of controls, you opt to use it as a mono comp without patching in the other side if you want to use it on a mono source.
Thanks - I understand. Just wondering if it can be used this way for just knocking 2-3 db off of two mono sources using the one set of controls and was interested if anyone has used it this way...
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
Thanks - I understand. Just wondering if it can be used this way for just knocking 2-3 db off of two mono sources using the one set of controls and was interested if anyone has used it this way...
You can do it, but you'll need to find the happy medium for attack and release times. I'm sure it will be successful some of the time and unseccessful at others.
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
You can do it, but you'll need to find the happy medium for attack and release times. I'm sure it will be successful some of the time and unseccessful at others.
That's what I thought - glad to see it can be used that way in a pinch when tracking to two sources.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Use it all the time for kick and snare, myself.
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Use it all the time for kick and snare, myself.
Cool - even though it is labeled as a bus compressor I had a feeling that some were also using as a 2-channel tracking compressor. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
Cool - even though it is labeled as a bus compressor I had a feeling that some were also using as a 2-channel tracking compressor. Thanks for the confirmation.
Using it as a two channel tracking comp is fine on one source such as a stereo keyboard track OR just using one channel at a time (dual mono) to track the same instrument like acoustic guitar using a Mid/Side micing technique would probably be OK. Trying to do the same amount of gain reduction on two separate sources using the one set of controls simultaneously seems like an exercise in frivolous tail chasing to me. But hey! trying new stuff is half the fun in this biz!!!
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

of course you can do. I remember doing so with stereo vocals, vocal/git and vocal/bass at 4:1 or probably 6:1.
but obviously you have deal with the same settings for both channels. no problem if you have a good and versatile preamp before the 2500.
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
of course you can do. I remember doing so with stereo vocals, vocal/git and vocal/bass at 4:1 or probably 6:1.
but obviously you have deal with the same settings for both channels. no problem if you have a good and versatile preamp before the 2500.
Great - vocal/git was the application I was thinking of so that's helpful. I thought it should be possible as I have tracked with two separate comps in the past and when it comes to just taking 2-3 db off the top, the settings seem to be fairly close. It's great to have the flexibility of two separate units. But in a pinch, it's great to know the 2500 can be used in this manner.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search