The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073 mpl 500 hiss Dynamic Microphones
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

BAE 1073 mpl 500 hiss

Hi all. I just received a bae 1073 500.
The noise floor seems abnormally high. Anyone know if this is normal?
It's ok-ish on a U87 clone if the gain knob is at zero or less. Above gets pretty bad.
I tried it on a ribbon, and had to crank it. TONS of white noise hiss. Really unusable.
Is that the nature of these things? Or is something wrong?
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Talk to BAE about it.
You can test it relatively easily and BAE may say how you could do it to check it conforms to their specifications.
The 1073 circuit is not quite 'state of the art' in terms of noise, but then it isn't 'bad' either.
Matt S
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Something is not quite right, contact BAE asap.....
Old 6th September 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks guys. Just left them a message. Hopefully they are responsive.
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Nut

just got one a couple days ago as well.. no hiss here. BAE is also very responsive via telephone in my experience (haven't ever emailed them, but I'm sure they're great there too). Love the pre

edit: err i got the 1073d, but fairly certain there shouldn't be any more hiss in the 1073mpl than the 1073d. goes without saying (hopefully), but just to be sure, make sure you don't have phantom power on ever when using ribbon mics!
Old 13th September 2015
Here for the gear

Just an update, BAE's customer service was awesome. They fedex'd me a replacement. Apparently this is a known issue that affected some earlier models.
My replacement has no hiss.
It does however have some weird dual tone thing around the 2K-ish area. Very mild only noticeable if you crank the gain up to 85% or higher. Totally usable still and I'm quite impressed with it.
It's my first Neve clone...but wow it really reminds me of my great river....a lot actually...
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterfish View Post
Just an update, BAE's customer service was awesome. They fedex'd me a replacement. Apparently this is a known issue that affected some earlier models.
My replacement has no hiss.
It does however have some weird dual tone thing around the 2K-ish area. Very mild only noticeable if you crank the gain up to 85% or higher. Totally usable still and I'm quite impressed with it.
It's my first Neve clone...but wow it really reminds me of my great river....a lot actually...

I read else where about hiss and noise floor on the heritage so I'm surprised to see this up here can you post any audio examples regarding the phasey tone thing you described.?

Also does anyone know the signal path of the DI?

I'm looking for a 1073 500 series clone but not sure which direction I should go.

Thanks
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc3kle View Post
I read else where about hiss and noise floor on the heritage so I'm surprised to see this up here can you post any audio examples regarding the phasey tone thing you described.?

Also does anyone know the signal path of the DI?

I'm looking for a 1073 500 series clone but not sure which direction I should go.

Thanks
My heritage was extremely noisy, sent it back and now use a BAE 1073MPL. Much, much quieter. There's still a bit of hiss when using an SM7b, but absolutely nothing with a condenser.
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieneedham View Post
My heritage was extremely noisy, sent it back and now use a BAE 1073MPL. Much, much quieter. There's still a bit of hiss when using an SM7b, but absolutely nothing with a condenser.
So which clone did u like better?
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale View Post
So which clone did u like better?
BAE by a country mile. Much cleaner and I prefer it on vocals over the Heritage.

The Heritage was a nice pre, but super noisy!
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Have u compared bae to ams
Old 27th October 2015
Here for the gear

Several times, different sources. BAE won over AMS and obviously over Heritage. Its the closest thing to the Vintage 1073s that we have in one of our production suites. Besides, BAE seems to be the only one using authentic Carnhill transformers. Yes, we have also opened them up and side by side, only BAE uses the same Carnhill matching the vintage specs(different color but same transformer). So the ABCD was not just sonic but we sure took a microscopic look under the hood. BAE is a no brainer.
Old 10th November 2015
Here for the gear

BAE MPL73 Under the hood x AMS NEVE x Heritage Audio.
https://youtu.be/T_3qQ1mQZWc
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Great video, clears up a lot of confusion and misinformation....thank you!"
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search