The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks! 500 Series Preamps
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks!

I am ringing in the New Year with my First 2 completed LunchBoxes! I know that there are a lot of people using the format, so let's see'um! I admit, they are a joy to record with. Now do I go for another Lunchbox or upgrade to racks? Hmmm...

Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Holy 2 channels of Essence, Batman!!!!
Old 10th January 2007
Gear nut

Man, your rack is beautiful! never thought I would say that to a dude, but in this case it works. I purchased my first rack in December and dropped a Buzz Elixir in there. On the way this week are two A Designs P1's. I will get pics up when the P1's arrive. How are you digging those Buzz compressors? They sure do look sweet. THe 500 series racks are addictive.

Nice flavors, Buzz, Purple, Gamma, API....gotta love it!!
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Essence is a pretty good Comp. I have quite a few compressors and I got these strictly for portability. They sound pretty nice sort of somewhere between an LA-3a and a distressor set to 10:1. Most gear in that price range sounds pretty good though, my favorites are still my ADL1000, Electro-Harmonix NY2A and Manley Slam. Too bad we can't get tubes in these modules..
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Here's mine so far. I've got an Eisen pre on the way to fill up my last empty slot. Man these things are addictive!!

What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks!-12.23.06-001.jpg
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
Rob,

can you say anything about the Purple compared to the Shadow Hills (and perhaps both compared to an API)?

Anyone else could answer that as well.

I'm hoping to start a rack this year - and yes - I'll be demoing stuff...
I have to say the Shadow Hills are two of my favorite pre's I own next to my Martech MSS-10's and Drawmer 1962. Seriously, the bang for the buck on these is amazing. They literally sound like 3 different pre'amps. The nickel setting is awesome. The Purple is nice too having the Dual mode option and well, the API is an API. Honestly it is hard for me to compare them, I like them all for different reasons. Recently recorded a drum kit and the Purple was great on the snare. Big and Punchy, the API is also good for this as is on Toms. I am the worst person to ask to compare things and some of the times I pick gear depending on my mood. lol not very scientific huh? Anyway you look at it, with good mics all of these pre's can shine. Get them all, be a true Slut! I will say that everyone needs to try the Shadow Hills Mono Gama, it's that good. A buddy of mine borrowed them for his new album recording. The week after he used them he placed an order with VK for the 8 channel Gama. I am sure all the Gama users have nothing bad to say about these.
I need to hear one of those P1's and I am gonna be in front of the line on the SH Nova's! Cheers
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=drastic;1060994]Here's mine so far. I've got an Eisen pre on the way to fill up my last empty slot. Man these things are addictive!!
[QUOTE]

Hey Drastic, how do the Elixer and P1 compare? Any Thought? Which one is less colored?
Old 10th January 2007
Gear maniac

Every time I see a pic of cool lunchboxes / racks, I want one/ten. Funny how that always happens.
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

ill let you guys see my rack soon heh first i need to borrow my friends camera, because my cell phone's camera doesnt do my rack justice its basically an all Buzz/Eisen rack.
Old 10th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Now do I go for another Lunchbox or upgrade to racks? Hmmm...
<p>Upgrade to racks! Say, one 10 slot rack dedicated to Shadow Hills modules, another for buzzaudio, etc! Picture a 500V rack full of Shadow Hills modules... Probably even sexier than a GAMA 8... Anyway, your lunchboxes are looking mighty fine Mr. King, and I don't see you not upgrading to racks. Someone's gotta do it!<p>p.s I cannot wait to get my first pair of GAMA pres...
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynofi View Post
<p>Upgrade to racks! Say, one 10 slot rack dedicated to Shadow Hills modules, another for buzzaudio, etc! Picture a 500V rack full of Shadow Hills modules... Probably even sexier than a GAMA 8... Anyway, your lunchboxes are looking mighty fine Mr. King, and I don't see you not upgrading to racks. Someone's gotta do it!<p>p.s I cannot wait to get my first pair of GAMA pres...
i bet you cant, you little slut! heh

i plan on having an entire rack dedicated to Eisen pres one of these days. yes his pres are THAT good
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Rob,
Both the P1 and Elixir rock, and are different beasts!! To me the P1 is more forward in the mids, and the Elixir has a pretty big and smooth bottom end thing going on. As far as which is less colored, I'd say the Elixir. I'm not the best at comparing pre's either, just a damn drummer.

Man, I'm in the same boat on moving to a rack or getting another lunchbox. There are still sooooooo many options out there right now, and I haven't even started looking @ comps and eq's yet
Old 10th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynofi View Post
p.s I cannot wait to get my first pair of GAMA pres...
I have a pair in my lunchbox and they do inded rock the house. I lent them to a friend working on his own album and they completely retracked all of the guitar tracks after using the Gama pres. The initial tracks were previously done with Millenia HV-3.

I just sold my Germ so I can buy another Gama module.
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
......and I am gonna be in front of the line on the SH Nova's! Cheers

yeah, right behind me

Ill post some photos when I get my camera to the stizzy.
Old 10th January 2007
500 series nutjob

i hope to be adding another P-1 very soon: )
Attached Thumbnails
What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks!-dscn1951_1.jpg  
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Nice Pan! What would you say are the differences between the P1 and the Elixer you demoed? Where did you get your custom spacers done?
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic View Post
Rob,
I'm not the best at comparing pre's either, just a damn drummer.
So with what you have, what pre's do you use on each drum? Just curious.
Old 10th January 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Nice Pan! What would you say are the differences between the P1 and the Elixer you demoed? Where did you get your custom spacers done?
thanks Rob: )
the P-1 is more mid forward, but very smooth.
the elixir was more open on the top and maybe a bit more on the bottom.
for me the elixir was similar to EM Blue open top nice bottom.
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

And another.
Attached Thumbnails
What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks!-api-rack.jpg  
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Very Nice John! Looks like you will be in the market for a new rack soon as well..
Old 10th January 2007
500 series nutjob

i have had my eye on those Buzz Essence comps!
i hope i can get at least one in soon: )
Old 10th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Damn those Eisens look schweet. like Neve meets SCAMP
I can't wait to see the new 500's that are coming out...especially when they're on their way into a new 10 slotter in my rack!!
Attached Thumbnails
What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks!-lunch2.jpg  
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Very Sweet Lou!
Old 10th January 2007
Gear Addict

Hey! This is a nice interesting thread! I'm considering a lunchbox too, (but I live in a godforsaken outback) so please give me/us some audiosamples to listen to and to compare! I think it would help many to hear how different modules work on the same instrument... be it pre/eq or comp.

I can really understand how addictive this format is. yum.

- jesse -
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

This is in our B Studio.

Some nice racks here in GS.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks!-imag00062.jpg  
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

My modest setup, I do have another P1 on the way!!
Attached Thumbnails
What's in your Lunchbox? Let's see your 2007 API 500 Racks!-l2.jpg  

Last edited by s.d.finley; 10th January 2007 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: no pic
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i hope to be adding another P-1 very soon: )
PEQ...niiiiiiice
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Very nice rack Todd!
Old 10th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Rob,
Actually, right now I'm still experimenting with different configurations. I've been on the road alot lately, so I haven't had much time. I've got nothing going on the rest of the week, so hopefully I'll find my favorites.

Today I was messing around with the Biz on snare (which I really liked) 512 on Kick and the MP1-C's on rack and floor. Sounded pretty cool. I wish I had a pair of the the P-1's and Elixirs to try out on overheads. Anyone here try out the P1 or Elixir on snare yet, Or have any recommendations on what I should try on what?
Old 10th January 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic View Post
Man these things are addictive!!
very!!!!
Quote:
Hey Drastic, how do the Elixer and P1 compare? Any Thought? Which one is less colored?
the elixir was less colored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
PEQ...niiiiiiice
nice i wish i could afford another one, maybe next year.heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search