The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coles 4038 storage question Ribbon Microphones
Old 9th January 2007
Gear interested

Coles 4038 storage question

Hi guys.. I'm wondering if there is a "best way" to store the 4038. It is in it's case lying on it's back, face up if that makes sense. Will the ribbon sag or whatever? Thank you all. R
Old 9th January 2007
Gear maniac

Straight up and down. Not on its back (flat) or even on its side because, yes, it will sag/stress the ribbon. You want gravity to pull down, evenly.

-- Adam Lazlo
Old 10th January 2007
Gear interested

Thank you!!
Old 11th January 2007
Gear addict

Old 12th January 2007
Gear Nut

I question the verticle storage theory. I've been using ribbon mics for years in many different studios and nobody stored them vertically. Now, years later, I keep hearing that it's important to store them vertically.

So actually the sound I enjoyed all this time was the sound of a stretched ribbon?
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Plenty of bull**** on that page IMO... tutt
for example?
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Plenty of bull**** on that page IMO... tutt
Given that he designs and builds ribbon mics for a living, I think his opinion probably carries a *little* more weight than that.

Michael
Old 12th January 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Mr. Crowley, what went wrong in your head?

I'm not seeing the problem with the info. It does seem a little misleading, about levels, and asymetrical responses. Not incorrect, but slightly biased against manufacturers that are maintaining older designs. I had also heard that ribbon mics should be stored vertically, and wondered how soft the ribbon must be to sag under it's own weight. Now, I still feel unsure, but it's easy enought to store them upright, so whatever.
Old 12th January 2007
Gear addict

Well, what bothers me on that page is that, under the excuse of breaking up the ribbon mics so-called "myths", Bob Crowley's doing a vaguely hidden advertisement for his own wonderful line of products. The C&T mics undoubtedly have all the qualities required to blow those "myths" away, but as if that brand was the new and only reference, this guy seems to be setting a new general rule for all the modern ribbon mics...

I have noticed that some of my ribbon mics like the 4038 or the R-84 are definitely on the very fragile side, unlike most of my other kinds of mics... So what Bob, am I a blind, superstitious, faceless ancestor ?...

Just the two last "myths" as an example :

Myth: "Ribbon mics have low output"
Fact: Modern ribbon mics have a HIGHER output than most stage dynamics. Remember that a condenser capsule has NO output and depends on the internal active electronics which are essentially a high gain voltage amplifier.

Myth: "You need a preamp with tons of gain"
Fact: No. Not only is the answer "no" but you can use your preamp wide open and unrestricted because ribbon microphones have extremely low self noise.

Well, I'm sorry, but if the C&T mics are breaking up those myths, these statements remain very true for the AEA and Coles ribbons I own...

Before objective knowledge there was dancing, fire, and superstition.

And before God there was Bob Crowley...

Just my humble opinion, no big deal anyway !...
Old 12th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I have noticed that some of my ribbon mics like the 4038 or the R-84 are definitely on the very fragile side, unlike most of my other kinds of mics...
I accidentally kicked my R84 over once...watched it fall all the way to the floor from maybe 5' up...works fine. It's certainly more fragile compared to other mics, but maybe not quite as fragile as some might think.

War
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search