The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chino Moreno style Vocal Delay Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 8th January 2007
Gear Addict

Chino Moreno style Vocal Delay

Apart from the pitching, heavy compression and other processing on his voice, does any body know how you achive this type of delay sound, in that very luscious way that just seems to just grab the ends of his words and stretch them out, as apposed to repeating them. Its all over his voice on both the deftones and the team sleep material

For the example, in the song kimdracula which you can hear on theyre myspace,
when he sings the words "the earth" it sounds like
<i>"the earth.......eeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrth"</i>
instead of
<i>"the earth......earth.....earth.......earth"</i>

or Ever from team sleep sounds like
<i>"Ever.......eeeeeeeerrrrrrr"</i>
instead of
<i>"Ever......er....er......er....er"</i>

Sorry for the crappy attempts to put this effect into words.
Old 8th January 2007
Gear Head

echo, and reverb?
Old 8th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162 View Post
Apart from the pitching, heavy compression and other processing on his voice, does any body know how you achive this type of delay sound, in that very luscious way that just seems to just grab the ends of his words and stretch them out, as apposed to repeating them. Its all over his voice on both the deftones and the team sleep material

For the example, in the song kimdracula which you can hear on theyre myspace,
when he sings the words "the earth" it sounds like
<i>"the earth.......eeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrth"</i>
instead of
<i>"the earth......earth.....earth.......earth"</i>

or Ever from team sleep sounds like
<i>"Ever.......eeeeeeeerrrrrrr"</i>
instead of
<i>"Ever......er....er......er....er"</i>

Sorry for the crappy attempts to put this effect into words.

Just experiment with a ton of different settings on delay and verb, I'm sure you'll come up with it , that's most likely how they came up with that sound. ( I'm not familiar with Deftones' sound so I can't really give a better answer)
Old 9th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I just returned from a drive and popped in the new defTones album "Saturday Night Wrist". The delay definately has an echo effect to it, it is soft but not as soft as I understood you to explain. I use Cubase and EFX are treated as tracks so they have there own mixer channel like audio tracks with inserts etc. for this type of effect I would use a reverb inserted into the delay channel to smooth the tale of the delay, also you can filter as well. I like to dirty it up with a distortion plugin or the like but the vocal itself is pretty hot and dirty so maybe a clean delay or effects chain is in order. I would say his vocal chain is dry vocal dirtied, compressed heavily, chorus to color and widen, delay effected? verb or fast slapback for depth.
Old 9th January 2007
Gear Head

Try high and low pass filters on the echo return... takes away the consonants i guess - makes it more of a sustaining note as you describe. Also the big ass echos like that probably shouldn't be on every word, so automate the send mute to only effect the words you want repeated (if you aren't doing any of this already).

I think that album sounds great. I was psyched to hear it as I've done a bunch of work at the Carriage House where most of it was tracked.
Old 9th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the response guys.

I have tried most of what you have said but i still end up with a lot of repetition
on the words instead of just sustaining them, no matter how i try to soften them.
I think Greg Wells processed his voice on the team sleep album, i mentioned the beautiful "Ever" in the first post.

Are you out there Greg???
Old 9th January 2007
Lives for gear

I posted this somewhere several months ago:

The Chino vocal sound is usually based on a healthy amount of quick compression and patch #23 on the SPX 90... a doubler effect with the left side 5-10 cents flat, and the right side 5-10 cents sharp. And swimmy delays. Terry and I are both fans of the Zoom 9030 box, originally made for guitars (and it's not great on guitars) but perfect for nutty vocal and drum effects.
Old 9th January 2007
Lives for gear

Joe Zook mixed "Ever" on the Team Sleep record and got very creative with the delays... quite brilliant, I thought.
Old 9th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
Joe Zook mixed "Ever" on the Team Sleep record and got very creative with the delays... quite brilliant, I thought.
Wow thanks for the quick response Greg!. As for the swimmy delays any ideas on how to get close to these sounds with plugins, sounds sort of like short delay times with alot of feedback and no consonants in the words?
Old 9th January 2007
Gear Nut

Hi man,

I was on a session with Terry Date a few years back (who produced a lot of the Deftones stuff) and he keeps a cheap zoom multi FX with him at all times which is all over the deftones stuff.

If you wanna get that kind of spready type delay effect instead of the distinct echoes (this has nothing to do with the zoom anymore!) basically you gotta fade in the aux send instead of straight up unmuting it. Try sending to a couple of different delays at the same time to smooth it out, then send them to a bit of verb. You can also send your automated aux ride to a longer verb too, or to whatever you want.

Hope this helps,

Damian
Old 9th January 2007
Lives for gear

I almost always roll off some high end on vocal delays, to make it sound more analog. I also like a tiny bit of modulation on the delay - makes it swimmier.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

The processing on the vocals on Ataraxia is amazing.

Listened to this album during a very hard time in my life and anytime i want to revisit that space i just pop this in and bam.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search