The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quad Eight or Flickinger mic pre? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quad Eight or Flickinger mic pre?

Want to buy one of these vintage mic-pre for that Motown vib.. Anyone with experience in them and can do a comparison?

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Addict

no one?
Old 10th August 2015
Here for the gear

I've used both the original Flickingers and the Skibbe 500 series. They're very, very close. I think Bill did a great job getting the transformers right on his versions. I've used Quad Eights two decades ago but my memory of them has faded too much to be of any use. I have used them side by side with Spectrasonic 110A pres and they share a lot of tonal similarities everywhere but in the low mids. Having worked on both cards before, they share a very similar design so I would probably attribute a large part of their differences to the iron.

They have a very meaty sound to them that works really well with anything with a speaker- guitar and bass amps, but I've recently finished with a couple of bluegrass sessions and they really sounded great on mandolin and banjo of all things. Really brought out the woodiness.

Sometime that fat low mid doesn't work right away with some voices and darker acoustics. I usually move on to something else. I do find their tone to be very useful with a big, but very detailed sound. Toms are great with these.
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner32 View Post
I've used both the original Flickingers and the Skibbe 500 series. They're very, very close. I think Bill did a great job getting the transformers right on his versions. I've used Quad Eights two decades ago but my memory of them has faded too much to be of any use. I have used them side by side with Spectrasonic 110A pres and they share a lot of tonal similarities everywhere but in the low mids. Having worked on both cards before, they share a very similar design so I would probably attribute a large part of their differences to the iron.

They have a very meaty sound to them that works really well with anything with a speaker- guitar and bass amps, but I've recently finished with a couple of bluegrass sessions and they really sounded great on mandolin and banjo of all things. Really brought out the woodiness.

Sometime that fat low mid doesn't work right away with some voices and darker acoustics. I usually move on to something else. I do find their tone to be very useful with a big, but very detailed sound. Toms are great with these.
Great, thanks for the info! Really appreciate your feedback, I will check them out.
Old 7th May 2018
Here for the gear

Are there any shootouts with samples of these preamps v others. Torn between a sphere Fab Four, a flicking twin flicks, a skibbe 736-5 or an API 3124+. Any input is welcome.
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO THOSE PREAMPS FROM Spectrasonic.Check out the interview in tape-op too

I think they make a rack version..Spectra Sonics
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

YouTube

man those look bad ass.I'd love to try them
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Just want to say that the production run of Flickinger Twin Flicks preamps are now coming online. They are designed with and built by Avenson Audio, in Austin, Texas. We have gone through 2 prototype stages and are now ready to start shipping our first full production run of these units. We have settled on a 2-opamp gain stage, 2-channel unit, with the first 52 dB opamp being identical to the 536-2 channel cards from the 1972 Flickinger 36-Ch Ray Stevens Nashville console, and we have added an additional 20 dB stage on the second 535-7 opamp, for a total of 72dB. We also have a promotional price on the first 10x units. Thanks, Stephen
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search