The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Curve of Amphions- 15's vs 18's - which one did you choose and why? Studio Monitors
Old 9th December 2015
Here for the gear
Zak7 - How close? some <1,5 meters apart from another and some +>1,5 Meters in front of me. These speakers make me work otherwise as before and I am hoping it is a good move also ergonomically. To stay a little more away back is nice too. You let the space grow in front of you to put things (instruments) more loosely in the picture in the mix.

I have to get another movable table in front of me to be pulled out under the table :D To this point I have been working mostly as standing :D
Old 9th December 2015
Gear Maniac

@ Juuso.

It sounds that, like you, it can take me a bit of time and work to understand a new monitor. I hear this about Amphion but I assume it's quite similar for most monitors, at least I'm sure it would be for me.

Now that I've worked on the One18s for a while, they've really grown on me. I get good balances and when I switch to other speakers, most everything works, though the other references (NS10/Auratone/headphones/earbuds) will always tell me something new. I did try the One15s here and if I was only mixing, I'm sure they'd be more than fine, but for the few mastering gigs I do, the One18s will be way more suitable.

Really like them and stoked to continue mixing on them for a while!
Old 17th May 2017
I've seen a lot of comparisons between the One15, Two15, and One18, but none between the One18 and Two18. Anyone have any experience with these two? I'm trying to see if the $3000 difference is worth it..
Old 8th September 2017
Gear Nut

Myself and a few engineer friends have done 3 shootouts with all three speakers in three different studios: One 15, One 18 and Two 18.

To answer your question about the One18 and Two18, I could say that personally my ears were quite annoyed by the bump around 10kHz~13kHz. I found vocal sibilances (sss & tss) too strong for my taste and music that required bright high hats (similar to The Weeknd). I would say this is also a combination of the frequency bump and that all their speakers deliver very fast transients.

The Two18 felt much more natural in the range. Besides the obvious that the Two18 can reach a good 10Hz+ more and have more headroom, what impressed me the most was how amazingly clear 100Hz~350Hz were. There were zero questions as to what was going on in that range and how it needed to be fixed. I'm talking about even the slightest things that were out of balance were very apparent on the Two18. This was less so on the One18 and even lesser on the One15. I'm not hating on the other models, I personally loved the One15 the most because of how well they tell you the overall picture of the mix, their overall tone, and that they're even faster than the 18 series. I loved how well they tell you how fast and hard your drums are hitting. I've been trying to setup a listening session with the Two15.

I'm sure one can get the same end result while working on the One18, but the time spent and questioning would be much less on the Two18.

Hope this helped!

Cheers!
Old 30th September 2017
Here for the gear

Sean - thank you for the detailed explanation/description! Do you know/remember what amps you used to demo them?
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

I think the Two15 for me are the best for mixing and are more realistic in the sense that can relate more to the real world...
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

I’m confused. What produces more bass the One18 or the two15s
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
I’m confused. What produces more bass the One18 or the two15s
Should be the Two15. SA equiv to 7.42" D woofer on the One15 vs 6.5" diameter woofer on the One18
Old 13th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanluc00007 View Post
Sean - thank you for the detailed explanation/description! Do you know/remember what amps you used to demo them?
We used Amp100 on the One15 & One 18. Then we also used the Amp500 on the One18 & Two18.
Old 3rd December 2017
I might a deal on the Two 15, never really got they potential because the range is quite clever between ONE 12 15 18 , then TWO 18 then SUB. Coming from ATC I'd really enjoy keeping my clean low mids, I 'm also into soft domes and chill tweeters, curious to hear the range.

Any views on the Two 15? vs ONE/TWO18s
Old 4th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
I think the Two15 for me are the best for mixing and are more realistic in the sense that can relate more to the real world...
So how did you end up with the Two15 ?

SeanMS also mentioned a 10k bump and I'm curious because I'm totally allergic of hot high end (can't stand focal, and a lost of brands for that matter, pretty curious of the titanium tweeter from AMphion).

I have generally always stayed away with monitors that obtain their details most with the tweeter action and transient response. Also always hated tweeter "personality"

ATC is the main example of transparency due to a great design ( and clear mid) without the tweeter blasting "DEFINITION" !

Last edited by DownSideUp; 4th December 2017 at 01:16 PM..
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
So how did you end up with the Two15 ?

SeanMS also mentioned a 10k bump and I'm curious because I'm totally allergic of hot high end (can't stand focal, and a lost of brands for that matter, pretty curious of the titanium tweeter from AMphion).

I have generally always stayed away with monitors that obtain their details most with the tweeter action and transient response. Also always hated tweeter "personality"

ATC is the main example of transparency due to a great design ( and clear mid) without the tweeter blasting "DEFINITION" !
I tried them both, the two18 are much better. Give you the full picture in all genres. The HF is fast, but becomes relaxed and desperated. I feel like I’d do a tiny bit of guessing on the two15. The odds of guessing correctly are extremely high, but the two18 spits out what’s there- period
Old 4th December 2017
Quote:
I tried them both, the two18 are much better. Give you the full picture in all genres. The HF is fast, but becomes relaxed and desperated. I feel like I’d do a tiny bit of guessing on the two15. The odds of guessing correctly are extremely high, but the two18 spits out what’s there- period
Thanks ! I think I'll try to score some Two 18 ( maybe try the One 18 just to get an idea of the style first)
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

You might just fall for the one18. It’s no slouch. Its more intimate than the two18

Quote:
Thanks ! I think I'll try to score some Two 18 ( maybe try the One 18 just to get an idea of the style first)
Old 4th December 2017
Yes the One might just behave just great in my quite small room. I'd have to evaluate if two if needed ( it's just I had a good second hand offer, don't know if it's sill for sale).

One or Two, I hope I don't miss the mid or overall quality and presentation of my (soon to be sold) ATC SCM150ASL.
They will go to a big room for a purist hifi music lover, and I shall go on producing with a cheaper set ( I already have a elegant and great amp) yet super transparent. (I had, and sold Focal, PSI, Cabasse and KH120).

can't wait to listen to them !
Old 4th December 2017
Quote:
You might just fall for the one18. It’s no slouch. Its more intimate than the two18
thanks, I totally love the more intimate setting for mixing in my room. I can reach very low levels of monitoring and I like the details + overview balance ( 3d and frequency wise). I also need monitors that can deliver the bass and same signature at low levels.
Old 29th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbar View Post
Finally got to try these things - One15, One18, Two15. All great, but came home with the One18 to try at my place.

They sound great, and yes, much bigger than you'd expect all while staying very calm and transparent. I was worried about my room being too small (11'x12'x8.5', well treated) and while I can see them really coming alive in a bigger place, I've found a good spot where they really are focused and large (roughly 1.3m/52" apart and away).

I've only done a few mixes so far and all's good, but I've put an order in to try the One15s here as well. Sonically, the mixes are translating well, but I'm getting a better overall musical balance, one that feels more finished and natural, on my mono Auratone. I think this is more due to how I hear and work so I definitely want to try the One15s before committing. I do hope the One18s grow on me as they're great for all the rest of the work - eq/compression/ rides/ FX - and I'd like to have something for mastering (though I don't do a lot here), and they're just damn fun to listen to.
Hey jarbar, what made you want the One 18 over two 15 ?
Old 30th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMS View Post
Myself and a few engineer friends have done 3 shootouts with all three speakers in three different studios: One 15, One 18 and Two 18.

To answer your question about the One18 and Two18, I could say that personally my ears were quite annoyed by the bump around 10kHz~13kHz. I found vocal sibilances (sss & tss) too strong for my taste and music that required bright high hats (similar to The Weeknd). I would say this is also a combination of the frequency bump and that all their speakers deliver very fast transients.

The Two18 felt much more natural in the range. Besides the obvious that the Two18 can reach a good 10Hz+ more and have more headroom, what impressed me the most was how amazingly clear 100Hz~350Hz were. There were zero questions as to what was going on in that range and how it needed to be fixed. I'm talking about even the slightest things that were out of balance were very apparent on the Two18. This was less so on the One18 and even lesser on the One15. I'm not hating on the other models, I personally loved the One15 the most because of how well they tell you the overall picture of the mix, their overall tone, and that they're even faster than the 18 series. I loved how well they tell you how fast and hard your drums are hitting. I've been trying to setup a listening session with the Two15.

I'm sure one can get the same end result while working on the One18, but the time spent and questioning would be much less on the Two18.

Hope this helped!

Cheers!
Great info on the difference between ONE and TWO 18. Did you end up trying the TWO 15 ?
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great info on the difference between ONE and TWO 18. Did you end up trying the TWO 15 ?
It goes to show, that people can hear different things. With the two18s and One18 no such sibilance. I can do ambient and pop glitchy Abstract drum fills with extreme precision on the 18 series... its the only monitors that when I switch on to the headphones... the FX are just as crisp as I heard it and not overdone. Very palpable up there, maybe it has to do with the bryston sst, which is suppose to be a very neutral amp. I’ve been testing cables out recently. I started using Van Damme up lc-ofc and it took these speakers to another level. Demoed the Amphion cables along with 4s11 and mogami, non of them were in the league as the Van Damme. The Amphion and the 3103 sounds extremely similar and a tab bit too forward in the high end. Whereas the van dammes is fuller, bass detail is miles away from the other cables I listed, and linear in the top end but it doesn’t make you mix bright at the same time. Def audition cables if you’ve made this investment. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not real. it’s very very real. The Van Damme costs are low, about the same as the canare, but some how manages to show better picture in my opinion. Not to slight Amphion because they’ve created my fav speakers of all time; but I would have kept even the canare over the Amphion cables.

If this makes sense, I’d take the One18 over the two15 and one15, but I’d take the one15 over the two15.

Last edited by IkennaFuNkEn; 30th December 2017 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 30th December 2017
Thanks a lot, I'm definitely in for some 18s.
Amp I already have a good amp that I like a lot, so I'll surely offer me a fine tuning with different cables as I have a Hifi friend reseller who stocks different brands.

He also has tons of amps ( macintosh, krell...) so I might feel slutty and try a new combo
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I'm definitely in for some 18s.
Amp I already have a good amp that I like a lot, so I'll surely offer me a fine tuning with different cables as I have a Hifi friend reseller who stocks different brands.

He also has tons of amps ( macintosh, krell...) so I might feel slutty and try a new combo
Theres a British guy on eBay, his name is lucasoundvision. I got my van dammes from him. he does returns as well. Check him out. The difference with the Van Damme has been a huge enlightenment for me. Especially in the low end. It’s a transformation. Very nice pairing with the 18 series.
Old 30th December 2017
Quote:
Theres a British guy on eBay, his name is lucasoundvision. I got my van dammes from him. he does returns as well. Check him out. The difference with the Van Damme has been a huge enlightenment for me. Especially in the low end. It’s a transformation. Very nice pairing with the 18 series.
Thanks a lot! i 'll try that then wich Van Damme model ?
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot! i 'll try that then wich Van Damme model ?
Shotgun 4mm up-lc-ofc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search