The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who's using the Mytek 8x192 with the ADC upgrade? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear

I heard from Chebon the Director of Marketing for Mytek that the 8x192 has an ADC upgrade now that cost $400.

Chebon tried 3 different capacitors and finally got the one that he felt was right. He said "That midrange smoothness is what the modified ADC excels in"

So I was wondering who has the upgrade and what your thoughts were on it.

Thanks!

SEA

Last edited by SEA; 5th August 2015 at 02:56 PM..
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

hey
i never heared of the upgrade. can you post a link? this sounds interesting. cheers
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
hey
i never heared of the upgrade. can you post a link? this sounds interesting. cheers
I asked with Chebon the director or marketing for Mytek if it's possible to get a link on the ADC upgrade.

You can contact him direct about it. I know he's been real busy lately so I'm seeing if we can get this expedited asap!

SEA

Last edited by SEA; 6th August 2015 at 09:56 PM..
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Head

I would love to know if this is available for users in the UK?
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterwoveN View Post
I would love to know if this is available for users in the UK?
Just email Mytek and see what they say.
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Just email Mytek and see what they say.
If your in/nearer Europe Mytek have said they can do the ADC upgrade at their European base in Poland. €370 + shipping.
Old 13th August 2015
Lives for gear

My only concern with the 8x192 is latency when recording vocals and instruments.

The Prism Titan has zero latency monitoring... a feature I wish Mytek would incorporate.

If I run into too much latency where I hear a doubling effect, could I just use an XLR splitter the send 1 to the ADC and the other to a small mixer while sending the headphones out to the mixer for real time monitoring?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
SEA
Old 15th August 2015
Gear Head

I use mine with the Firewire DIO which works flawlessly with the zero latency monitoring software. In other words I mute the channel in the DAW and monitor the track before conversion.

Ive used the software on an old 2008 mac pro and the latest macbook pro via firewire to thunderbolt and no problems. I also use it to set panning and maybe levels when summing to the stereo bus on mix down. which really does make a difference compared to just bouncing internally. Great Feature!

going back to latency I'm currently using the 8x192 with brand new quad 2.2 Ghz with 16GB RAM and the latency figures are here attached. its not far off thunderbolt territory in terms of being noticeable. plus there are different operation modes in the FW software which include low latency mode. Ive not needed to try it but Im sure it seems it should improve the performance further.
Attached Thumbnails
Who's using the Mytek 8x192 with the ADC upgrade?-screen-shot-2015-08-15-12.21.46.jpg  
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

so i emailed mytek about the upgrade. and while i thought that they had a great tech support before im rather dissapointed now. its basically a capacitor upgrade. since im a tech myself i asked them if they could simply tell me what caps to change. but they wont. i cant be bothered spending 400 US on a capacitor upgrade if i could do the job in an hour of work myself. i guess ill just pop open the lid and find out myself.... still i have spent 7 grand on the units and would have appreciated some info for free honestly. especially if its just about swapping some caps in my private units... oh well.

ps: if anyone has the upgrade installed please shoot me a pm. a photo of the guts would most likely tell me what they did.
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
so i emailed mytek about the upgrade. and while i thought that they had a great tech support before im rather dissapointed now. its basically a capacitor upgrade. since im a tech myself i asked them if they could simply tell me what caps to change. but they wont. i cant be bothered spending 400 US on a capacitor upgrade if i could do the job in an hour of work myself. i guess ill just pop open the lid and find out myself.... still i have spent 7 grand on the units and would have appreciated some info for free honestly. especially if its just about swapping some caps in my private units... oh well.

ps: if anyone has the upgrade installed please shoot me a pm. a photo of the guts would most likely tell me what they did.
Actually there's supposed to be some recalibration and Tweaks in the whole ADC from what I hear. At least that's what Chebon told me on the phone last I spoke with him.

I believe Agno has the ADC upgrade. Maybe he or someone else could tell ya which capacitors they changed out by popping the hood.
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
My only concern with the 8x192 is latency when recording vocals and instruments.

The Prism Titan has zero latency monitoring... a feature I wish Mytek would incorporate.

If I run into too much latency where I hear a doubling effect, could I just use an XLR splitter the send 1 to the ADC and the other to a small mixer while sending the headphones out to the mixer for real time monitoring?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
SEA
I use a UFX as my interface, with a Burl B2 ADC for my 2 primary channels and a Dangerous DAC for my monitoring. The RME UFX has zero-latency monitoring but I don't use it. Instead I split all the live tracks to a great little 1-rack-unit mixer that I have going to a headphone amp/splitter. Works great, and if I decide to trade the UFX/Burl/Dangerous for either a Prism Titan or a Mytek 8x192, I won't care about latency.

I think latency is critical if you're using ITB processing or virtual instruments live, which I never do. All guitars, bass, and keyboards are through a DI, and drums (and keyboards) are midi. If I want to use any VI, I record a midi keyboard and then choose the sound after the fact. So again, latency may or may not be relevant depending on what you're doing.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
I use a UFX as my interface, with a Burl B2 ADC for my 2 primary channels and a Dangerous DAC for my monitoring. The RME UFX has zero-latency monitoring but I don't use it. Instead I split all the live tracks to a great little 1-rack-unit mixer that I have going to a headphone amp/splitter. Works great, and if I decide to trade the UFX/Burl/Dangerous for either a Prism Titan or a Mytek 8x192, I won't care about latency.

I think latency is critical if you're using ITB processing or virtual instruments live, which I never do. All guitars, bass, and keyboards are through a DI, and drums (and keyboards) are midi. If I want to use any VI, I record a midi keyboard and then choose the sound after the fact. So again, latency may or may not be relevant depending on what you're doing.
Thanks LesC!

My concern was was tracking vocals and my latency is at 256 or 512, I would get that slight doubling effect on the vocals on my headphones.

However, I've since learned when using the FireWire card and the Fold Back mixer with the Mytek 8x192, you hear the audio before it hits your ADC when tracking so... you could have your latency at 2048 and it would sound instant in your headphones so THAT's cool!
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks LesC!

My concern was was tracking vocals and my latency is at 256 or 512, I would get that slight doubling effect on the vocals on my headphones.

However, I've since learned when using the FireWire card and the Fold Back mixer with the Mytek 8x192, you hear the audio before it hits your ADC when tracking so... you could have your latency at 2048 and it would sound instant in your headphones so THAT's cool!
Again, I keep my latency at 1024 with no problem. I feed the vocal into a small mixer into the headphone amp, so the interface doesn't come into play. There is less latency this way than using an interface foldback. I feed the mic preamp into an 1176 clone and into a Lexicon effects unit for the singer's monitoring and inspiration, no latency whatsover. I record the vocal both dry onto one track and the 1176 output to another track. This way I have a clean and a compressed track, I can either run them parallel, or if I overdid the compression I can recompress the clean track.
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterwoveN View Post
If your in/nearer Europe Mytek have said they can do the ADC upgrade at their European base in Poland. €370 + shipping.
I called Mytek in Poland a couple of weeks ago about the ADC upgrade and they quoted me €400. I asked why is it $400 in the US and more expensive in Europe, he didn't really have a clear answer. He just said it was a standard pricing.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Just wanted to bump this. Has anybody here had the upgrade installed? What did you notice about about the sonics afterwards? Thanks in advance.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search