The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?

I'm looking to eventually acquire all of the following vintage mics, but to me it seems lately that the price is going UP! Just a few years ago it seemed there were always several vintage U47 mics on eBay, now there might be just 1. And some sellers are asking $10,000 to $16,000 for a good condition U67 or M269c? Is the price going up due to scarcity?? (I know there are many modern mics available, but for me the original vintage ones are still the best when available and in good working condition)

These are the 5 vintage mics I'm interested in getting...
1. Akg C12 (with Henry Transformers)
2. Neumann U47/U48 (with vintage VF-14m tube)
3. Telefunken 251E/250 (with 6072 tube)
4. Neumann U67/M269c
5. Neumann M49
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

supply and demand.

p.s., if you know of a mic you love and want a few more of? it might not be a great idea to post on the internet the overwhelming virtues of it. just saying...
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Vintage mics are going up after being recognized like a good investment in Wall Street Journal
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mulcahy View Post
supply and demand.

p.s., if you know of a mic you love and want a few more of? it might not be a great idea to post on the internet the overwhelming virtues of it. just saying...
Um. That's what this site is all about. Maybe you'd think Gearslutz should stop talking about all gear. And I listed 6 vintage microphones here, the same 6 that people talk about everyday on Gearslutz.
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Vintage mics are going up after being recognized like a good investment in Wall Street Journal
Really, recognized in Wallstreet Jounal?
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post
And I listed 6 vintage microphones here, the same 6 that people talk about everyday on Gearslutz.
you now have your answer
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really, recognized in Wallstreet Jounal?
Check out the Thursday 18 November 1999 Wall Street Journal.I guess it was there.

Last edited by carloff; 26th July 2015 at 11:14 PM..
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Check out the Thursday 18 November 1999 Wall Street Journal.I guess it was there.
Probably a lot of engineers that are today 30 that when they were 14 read the Journal.

The classic mics are going up simply due to lack of supply and increased demand. It is a paradox that today there are more engineers with the $ to buy professional tools. We are talking people that have recorded a few albums at most; in contrast to when they were "cheaper". When only true professionals involved the tools were expensive, but they were not "collectables" and fetished over.

The Henry transformer AKG/Siemens C12 has been hyped here to no end (a great one is indeed a great mic). It has been implied that it is the gold standard; later modified to say that it depends on the voice, as always.

But how many do you think were made? 200?

How many do you think survive for 50 years or so?

Of those that survive, how many do you think are in otherwise great condition (CK12 capsule is probably even more important)?

So now, why do you think price is going up?

And BTW would you really hold out for a 6072 251 over a AC701K? Because of tube price? This is illustrative of the market and why tools are expensive.
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Probably a lot of engineers that are today 30 that when they were 14 read the Journal.

The classic mics are going up simply due to lack of supply and increased demand. It is a paradox that today there are more engineers with the $ to buy professional tools. We are talking people that have recorded a few albums at most; in contrast to when they were "cheaper". When only true professionals involved the tools were expensive, but they were not "collectables" and fetished over.

The Henry transformer AKG/Siemens C12 has been hyped here to no end (a great one is indeed a great mic). It has been implied that it is the gold standard; later modified to say that it depends on the voice, as always.

Of those that survive, how many do you think are in otherwise great condition (CK12 capsule is probably even more important)?

And BTW would you really hold out for a 6072 251 over a AC701K? Because of tube price? This is illustrative of the market and why tools are expensive.
The 6072 tube is my personal preference for use in the 251, but that's just me. The Ac701 versions should sell for more money and are highly desired as well.

Also, I'm a fan of the vintage AKG C12 because Glen Ballard used it with such success on Dave Matthews' "Everyday" record, my personal favorite of Dave's, and also he used it on all of Alanis Morissette's hits. His C12 sounds incredible. It has tremendous clarity, presence and warm all at the same time.

Last edited by SharpKillerCable; 27th July 2015 at 05:22 AM..
Old 27th July 2015
Gear Guru

dang the current prices are insane.
in this day and age it helps to have a trust fund or a rich spouse lol.
seriously you can make great recordings without having to sell your soul for vintage mics.
yeah they're not all great.
I Mean is spending 15k on just a single mic going to take your work to another level?
I went through about 6 U67's to find a good one.took a year[I had a non working piece of **** shipped over from Germany years ago].
same with my KM56's.
hand picked by Andreas out of about 7 working mics to make a good stereo pair.
went through many 47's over the years before finding good ones.buying blind over the internet is crazy.
brokers Madooma can find good stuff and will cost $$.
I personally done my fetishistic obsession[and fixing] over vintage stuff.
life is too short.
one of the great things is calling David Bock,describing the type of mic you want and he'll build it in a few days..and it will sound great..and not cost a fortune to fix or find 2,000 dollar replacement tubes.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 27th July 2015 at 09:10 AM..
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post

Mike, I highly doubt 30 years old engineers make the real demand for these the most expensive mics.They simply usually have not money for it yet.They are dreaming more.
Have you seen Steve Albini collection of mics? Billy Corgan studio?This is real collection.It is about joy and hobby.One old British gent, ( who makes very known brand of gear and is classic old engineer) said me: " I have my 2 U47 like investment , better saved money than in any bank."
About C12 , Henry transformer. It seems you have special kind of problem with it.But simply is better sounding mic than regulary C12. I can send samples when I will be back at Prague.The same as U47 with VF14 is simply better than Nuvisitor - owner of Nuvisitor version can be pissed but that is fact.
BTW It wasn't made 200. My friend has C12 with serial around 350 and it has Henry radio.
I have Siemenses version 392,396. First at about 100 C12s were made with Hiller. All Siemenses with Henry.It means at least 650 mic with Henry radio.
They survived usually without any care 50 years. I bet with the care they can survive another 100 with no probs.

If I would buy new remake of ELAM- AC701 would be quite a clincher for me.
If I would find cheap original ofcourse not.
Old 27th July 2015
Gear Addict

But no one is actually paying those prices! There never went, say a U67, for 15k.
Those are just asking prices by deluded sellers ... why is that to hard to understand around here?
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
But no one is actually paying those prices! There never went, say a U67, for 15k.
Those are just asking prices by deluded sellers ... why is that to hard to understand around here?
Yes that is the point. On ebay you can buy "EMI preamp" Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?EMI RS61 Electron Tube Microphone Preamplifier Pair with Fairchild PSU V72 U47 | eBay

for 90 000
Ridiculous

Last edited by carloff; 27th July 2015 at 11:05 AM..
Old 27th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes that is the point. On ebay you can buy "EMI preamp" Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?EMI RS61 Electron Tube Microphone Preamplifier Pair with Fairchild PSU V72 U47 | eBay

for 90 000
Ridiculous
Haha Love that ad.been there for years . Very funny
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

for 90 000
Ridiculous
Haha. Yes Carloff, that listing is considered the joke of all eBay listings among my engineer friends. But seriously, I don't think the market is too far away from seeing a significant rise in prices for many of these much desired vintage mics.
Old 27th July 2015
Gear Addict

I don't know what those crazy-price-sellers are trying to achieve ... no one is buying their stuff. It gets endlessly relisted and they don't seem to care.
Old 27th July 2015
Gear Addict

Were I live at least the prices seem to be falling ...

Quote:
Haha. Yes Carloff, that listing is considered the joke of all eBay listings among my engineer friends. But seriously, I don't think the market is too far away from seeing a significant rise in prices for many of these much desired vintage mics.
Old 28th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
Were I live at least the prices seem to be falling ...
Not sure how that's possible when even rusted and scratched up u67 prices are higher than ever even in Europe.
Old 28th July 2015
Gear Addict

Any examples?
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm looking to eventually acquire all of the following vintage mics, but to me it seems lately that the price is going UP! Just a few years ago it seemed there were always several vintage U47 mics on eBay, now there might be just 1. And some sellers are asking $10,000 to $16,000 for a good condition U67 or M269c? Is the price going up due to scarcity?? (I know there are many modern mics available, but for me the original vintage ones are still the best when available and in good working condition)

These are the 5 vintage mics I'm interested in getting...
1. Akg C12 (with Henry Transformers)
2. Neumann U47/U48 (with vintage VF-14m tube)
3. Telefunken 251E/250 (with 6072 tube)
4. Neumann U67/M269c
5. Neumann M49
I just looked at Ebay and the sellers of the top Neumann mics when the list is arranged from most expensive to least are in fact insane. No one that knows anything about the market of vintage mics will pay $14k for a 67.

Have you contacted Bill Bradley at The Mic Shop here in Franklin Tennessee? He is a little crusty and a little rough around the edges but the man knows tons about vintage tube mics and he buys, sells, trades, and repairs them all day long and has been for over 20 years. Do yourself a favor and contact him. He will not be the least expensive but you will get a glorious mic if you buy from him.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

The problem is that each level these mics get to in terms of price, people always say " That's way too much, nobody will pay it." Then the price goes up and exceeds the price we all thought was ridiculous. And then goes even higher.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

2001-2004 you could score on ebay … U47's for 4500, U67's for 3000-3500, rca 44's for 1200 and rca 77dx's for 750. M49's for 5k… prices have been going up up up every year since….. best advice… hit the lotto or invent a time machine.
Old 31st July 2015
I'm hoping my km84 goes up and up, still haven't found another one in as good condition...you'll have to prize it from my dead body
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
2001-2004 you could score on ebay … U47's for 4500, U67's for 3000-3500, rca 44's for 1200 and rca 77dx's for 750. M49's for 5k… prices have been going up up up every year since….. best advice… hit the lotto or invent a time machine.
Yeah and that seemed sick expensive then.
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
People are still finding these vintage mics in old garages and attics, and old radio storage facilities etc. Or you might see them at estate sales. The problem is with the internet people immediately know the going rate, so even if you find someone that doesn't know a thing about vintage mics, they can check eBay or completed listings and have an immediate estimated range.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

A vintage capsule can only be spat on so many times before its sound is compromised. At some point archeologist will use Nuemann mics to research ancient DNA lines and extinct strains of the common cold and influenza. The CDC will eventually get hip to the treasure trove of old DNA and will buy up all the old Nuemannms, place them in secret cryogenic storage facilities, and use them to synthesize cures for the exotic diseases of the future like West Nile and the Bird Flu. It will be called the Nuemann program and those who are cured through this program will be referred to as Nuemannized.

You know they just announced a new vacine that is 99% effective against Ebola. Maybe the CDC's Neumann program is already underway. Would explain the metoric rise in vintage mic prices.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 2nd August 2015
That explains the CDC personnel in hazmat suits at the Vintage King show room the other day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
A vintage capsule can only be spat on so many times before its sound is compromised. At some point archeologist will use Nuemann mics to research ancient DNA lines and extinct strains of the common cold and influenza. The CDC will eventually get hip to the treasure trove of old DNA and will buy up all the old Nuemannms, place them in secret cryogenic storage facilities, and use them to synthesize cures for the exotic diseases of the future like West Nile and the Bird Flu. It will be called the Nuemann program and those who are cured through this program will be referred to as Nuemannized.

You know they just announced a new vacine that is 99% effective against Ebola. Maybe the CDC's Neumann program is already underway. Would explain the metoric rise in vintage mic prices.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
and all the pieces of the puzzle fall in to place. thanks for clearing that up.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

If I bought vintage it would be a model that has components still available for replacement.....
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
At some point archeologist will use Nuemann mics to research ancient DNA lines and extinct strains of the common cold and influenza.
Or to find Sinatra's illegitimate descendants for some civil suit
📝 Reply