The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

M7 capsule in an M49 is best used for orchestral work. KK47/49 best for vocal and amplified instruments.

There is a reason Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand both own there own personal M49. Columbia 30th Street used them exclusively.

M49 is my favorite mic in the Neumann line. U67 get can boxy, U47's and U48's are more aggressive. Hard to beat the top end on an M49. I've owned them all and the only one I still keep is an M49 Oliver made for me. It is my number one go to mic for many sources... but especially vocals!

Your mileage will vary.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
I have a had a fair amount of experience with M7/K47 on both U47 and M49 amps.

My strong personal opinion is that the U47 aggressive, forward sound is the perfect amp for an M7. The M7 has a softer top and this amp keeps the HF from getting lost.

I also have the exact opposite opinion with the M49 amp. The M7 sounds way too round for vocals on this amp and benefits from the edgier, more forward sound of a K47 (kk49).

It would seem to me Carloff that you really owe it to yourself to get your hands on a new K47 from Neumann and put it into that M49. Also, which revision 49's do you have? The stock 'C' version is quieter but slightly harder sounding than the earlier versions, my understanding is because of the transformer revision for the 'C' models as explained by Oliver Archut. Ideally a 'B' modified to 'C' specs (B transformer) with a K47 on top. I've not heard a mic sound better than this and I too have many incredible mics to compare it too.

Try it out.

This is what Oliver made for me, a B with a K47 capsule. Originally he had an M7 in it but I said, no I want this for vocals, so he said he'd give me the best sounding one for vocals he could... and he did IMHO.

BTW Oliver had 500 NOS AC701 tubes. He was going to sell me a spare for 250.00 (what he charged me for the one in my M49). I regret not jumping on that when I had the chance. Not sure whatever happened to the 460 tubes he had left. He had built 40 custom M49's from what he told me. I was always going to have him build another... I sure do miss talking to him.

We were trading distilling recipes at the end, he made a hell of a peach vodka. It was the last thing he sent me before he passed. I never did get to send him my best gin recipe.

Still bums me out he's gone. RIP my friend.
Old 23rd March 2017
Record high asking prices for Neumann Gold u87 mic

I'm seeing more and more Vintage u47 microphones with asking prices of $20,000 and that is beginning to feel normal I guess. However now I'm seeing 2 different u87 Gold microphones on ebay each with an asking price of $17,000. I know it is a highly collectable microphone, but it does seem like quite a bit for one! And the cheaper one isn't even in the best shape!

Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?Neumann U87 Gold, The CROWN JEWEL for Microphone Collectors U47 U67 Vintage RARE | eBay

And......

Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?Neumann U87 Gold, Limited version. | eBay

Old 23rd March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post
I know it is a highly collectable microphone
says who? It's an AI with gold plating. No one cared about them even back in '97 when Neumann sold them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post
I'm seeing more and more Vintage u47 microphones with asking prices of $20,000 and that is beginning to feel normal I guess.
Show me someone who actually paid 20k for one ... I want to laugh at them - but I don't think you'll find one.
Old 23rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphtec View Post
says who? It's an AI with gold plating. No one cared about them even back in '97 when Neumann sold them.
Show me someone who actually paid 20k for one ... I want to laugh at them - but I don't think you'll find one.
We all laughed when Neumann u47 microphones started seeing $15,000 asking price. Then we all laughed when Neumann u67 mics started being listed for $10,000 in exceptional condition. I'm not surprised by these prices right now. The u87 gold microphone is more than 20 years old now, and is one of the rarest microphones that Neumann ever made, fewer than 300 units produced, and probably many of them have been used and abused to some degree over the last 20 years leaving even less in good condition. There are only approximately 5000 u47 microphones, around 3200 long bodies and the rest short bodies. The u87 gold mic is obviously much much more rare than that. And it is considered a top microphone because it is a u87. There are many reasons why the u87 gold mic is so desirable, a combination of rarity and great sound, it's a studio standard and it's a Neumann. But the market is about supply and demand. And I can't think of any Neumann mic that is more scarce.
Old 23rd March 2017
Quote:
Also Morphtec there are many more Neumann and AKG/Telefunken microphone collectors now. At least that's what I have encountered in the market. Whereas maybe 5 years ago and certainly 10 years ago the majority of sales where to working musicians, studios, producers and sound engineers.

Now I see many more successful businessmen, not involved in the music business that want to have their own home studios and fill their home studios with the best vintage gear.
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:

Very popular in Saudi Arabia.
Old 15th August 2017
A steal at $21,000 for this Vintage 251?

Been some months since I checked in on the current vintage mic prices. My question is that if many asking prices on vintage U47s has hit $20,000 US dollars, wouldn't you say this vintage original 251 must be a steal at $21,000?

Quote:
Original Vintage Telefunken ELAM 251 Tube Condenser Micrpohone | eBay

It is in excellent condition and sounds great. All original except for one filter cap and the polystyrene was replaced about 10 years ago because it was crumbling as is the case with these mics. | eBay!
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

I noticed M269C seemed to be going for more that what I bought one for on 2012.
One fantastic mic that never seems to be talked about is the M50 less than 1000 were ever made and I have heard that there are only about 200 left than are working still it's a bit of one trick pony mic because it's omni only but the air on that mic is really something. I still can't figure out with todays technology why these mics still can't be replaced with modern technology.
Attached Thumbnails
Price of the famed vintage mics going UP? Getting more scarce?-img_7585.jpg  
Old 29th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I noticed M269C seemed to be going for more that what I bought one for on 2012.
One fantastic mic that never seems to be talked about is the M50 less than 1000 were ever made and I have heard that there are only about 200 left than are working still it's a bit of one trick pony mic because it's omni only but the air on that mic is really something. I still can't figure out with todays technology why these mics still can't be replaced with modern technology.
I know a collector who has 4 just sitting around. With today's prices it's most likely all of the famous 5s are just going to collect dust in a big mansion...

Good score on the m269c if people knew how bloody good it is it would be worth twice as much!
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Very popular in Saudi Arabia.
Their very sheik.
Chris
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

the first U67s i bought, back in the early 90s, cost me around around $2000 each from memory.

i sold them for about $3500 in the midd 90s.

around 1995 i paid $1850 each, for 2 very old U87s. i still have one of them now.

and the A/B Blue Stripe 1176 cost me $1900, and 12 years later i sold it for $5500.

the moral of the story is, that the price of classic gear just goes up.

Buddha
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
and the A/B Blue Stripe 1176 cost me $1900, and 12 years later i sold it for $5500.
A local studio owner recently sold his for 14K...
๐Ÿ“ Reply