The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite LA4 Application?
Old 6th October 2002
Gear Addict

Favorite LA4 Application?

Does the LA4 do anything particularly well over some other?
Or, what is it most known for?

Ciao

Woods
Old 6th October 2002
Lives for gear

Some swear by it on bass . . . personally, it is way too slow for me and it has no character. I hardly ever use the one I have. I did find it really nice on a mono string patch once.
Old 6th October 2002
Lives for gear

It's good on bass once you change the op amps for new fast ones. Alactronics has made a specialty of this. Eddie Cilleti also made an article on that I think. I think if you get one for cheap, it's cool to get it modified but not worth paying the "vintage " prices people are asking for them these days... I prefer the LA-3A.yuktyy
Old 9th October 2002
Here for the gear

There was a tech at a studio I worked at about 6 years ago who somehow wired the inputs for a pair of LA4s we had there to be used as mic pres. They sounded amazing on electric guitars with a 57/58/421. I remember it not sounding so hot with a condenser, but...I haven't run across an LA4 since!

You can hear mp3s of this technique here. I can't say (at this late date) which were recorded this way, but I recall that MOST of the guitars were recorded this way.
http://www.artistdirect.com/store/ar...265853,00.html
Old 9th October 2002
Gear Maniac

LA4 fetishes...

I have 6 LA4's that have been hot-rodded by Eddie Ciletti (4 black face and 2 silver). Two of them have what amounts to a Trident 80 mic pre built-in with a dual impedance transformer input and phantom power!

They (all 6) sound great on acoustic and electric guitars, and snare. I like them on electric bass if there isn't an 1176 or LA2A handy. A friend of mine has an Eddie Ciletti LA4 that he uses for everything since he doesn't have an 1176 or LA2A. He loves the Eddie upgrade for vocals, bass and guitar.

And for vocals, an Eddie Ciletti LA4 after the 1176 is definitely the icing on the cake, especially if the mic pre is a Great River MP2NV.

I still have 2 stock silver LA4s. I'm trying to decide how they should be hot-rodded. Right now I'm leaning toward another pair with the Trident 80 mic pre built in.

wurly @ beautiful Latch Lake

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search