The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is your opinion of the Bricasti M7?
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Maniac
What is your opinion of the Bricasti M7?

I just recently purchased this and you know what....i almost liked my PCM 91 a little bit better. Now don't get me wrong the M7 is pretty amazing however there is a huge learning curve that my feeble brain is having trouble overcoming. So i'm just curious what everyone here thinks of the M7 is it a good buy or is it a waste of money and you could go to ebay and get a PCM 91 for 800 dollars? I admit, at least my PCM 91 had ONE PRESET that I always used and I loved that preset (Hall + Medium Stage). I have yet to find a favorite preset on my M7. But hey you know I'm glad to at least own it. I can't complain I suppose.

cheers
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

The Bricasti is a different type of reverb than the Lexicon. I appreciate both but they deliver different things. The Bricasti is all about recreating realistic spaces which it does very well. You'll frustrate yourself trying to get one of these boxes to do what the other does.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Nut

Learning curve? If scrolling thru amazing preset after amazing preset and having to write down your favourites is too steep...
Old 22nd July 2015
If you don't like it you can give it to me, my M7 needs a partner.
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. I mean, I love mine and I don't think any of my other software verbs can touch it. But I don't use it on EVERY mix coz sometimes I prefer something else.. Maybe you just really like the 'old Lex' sound. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

If you're not loving the M7 after another month, I'd say sell it and put the money to better use. Many people (most of'em members here) will gladly take it off your hands. And just because everyone else loves something doesn't mean you have to.
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
Maybe you just really like the 'old Lex' sound. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

And just because everyone else loves something doesn't mean you have to.
Yes to the above quote. I've used an M7 once. It was impressive and I liked it a lot. But I've spent much more time on Lexicon 480's, 300's (own one myself), PCM 70's, 42's, etc. I'm a big fan of the sound of Lexicon reverbs, and for that matter, EMT plates and 250's. I've just spent more time on them. Some of the EMT 140's that I've used have probably been my all time favorites. If I spent some more time on the Bricasti I'm sure that I would dig it some more. It's a good reverb, but if Lexicons "speak" to you then get some!
Old 23rd July 2015
As you'll often find me saying around here, this stuff is really subjective. I like mine a lot. But if the Bricasti doesn't work for your sense of aesthetic, then it doesn't. That's fine. Don't waste time worrying about where you are going wrong. Sell it on and buy something that does do it for you and get on with making great music. (I've done exactly that with numerous things that other people love and which just don't do it for me from bac 500 to distressor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
I just recently purchased this and you know what....i almost liked my PCM 91 a little bit better. Now don't get me wrong the M7 is pretty amazing however there is a huge learning curve that my feeble brain is having trouble overcoming. So i'm just curious what everyone here thinks of the M7 is it a good buy or is it a waste of money and you could go to ebay and get a PCM 91 for 800 dollars? I admit, at least my PCM 91 had ONE PRESET that I always used and I loved that preset (Hall + Medium Stage). I have yet to find a favorite preset on my M7. But hey you know I'm glad to at least own it. I can't complain I suppose.

cheers
Old 23rd July 2015
Gear Nut

It is very expensive for what it does.
Old 23rd July 2015
mixmixmix
M7 is legendary. Legends have lifespan and are subjects to fashion. The cost of remote is a phenomena in its own right.
Old 24th July 2015
Lives for gear

I thought it sounded great, but not quite as great as the hype made it out to be. I've used a lot of Lexicons and to me they are, for better or worse, the sound I'm used to hearing.

Edit: The lower frequencies on the reverbs (Bricasti)sound really good. They don't get mushy, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by brianellefson; 24th July 2015 at 01:26 AM..
Old 24th July 2015
Baz
Lives for gear

M7 is worth every penny. Wish I could afford my own but I was fortunate enough to have worked with one early, as my buddy bought the 7th unit shipped. As stated, it's about as easy a unit to use as anything I've ever tried. Very small learning curve to gt you up and running. Never tried a PCM91
Old 24th July 2015
Lives for gear

I think our ears get used to something and our mindprint sort of becomes married to what we have always expected or loved. I have used Lex 480s, 300s, PCM91, PCM90, 70. 60 etc for so long that if I don't hear that sound I feel like something maybe missing!

Bricasti is amazing for sure. Only used one a few times but I think much like Lexicon has carved out a space in my mind as the pinnacle of reverbs, Bricasti will become the new flavor that people will either seek out or miss in years to come. I think it is just the ushering in of a new standard, just like Lexicon has been for decades. A new flavor for a new palette.
Old 24th July 2015
The M7 is IMO by far the best reverb unit ever made. I have some Lexicon reverbs including a 480L which is great of course but the Bric is more then a reverb, it's a real game changer.. I was a co owner, manager and chief engineer at DB studios designed by Neil Grant which was by far the best live room/ drum room in Tel-Aviv, I've left it a few years ago to open up TanTan mix and mastering room and missed my live room..! Until I've got the Bric ! I was able to recreate the sound of DB's live room with it and even to top it without paying monthly rent for a 150 square meters space in the center of Tel-Aviv !! Nothing I know doesn't even come close to a Bric for adding air movement around an instrument.. Same goes for its amazing hall algos, plates, CD plates and Nonlin.. IMO the Bric is the most powerful mixing device in my studio (or any) because when doing it right you can fake great sounding spaces very reliably to the point where the original acoustic environment doesn't really matter anymore.. I hope I'll have 3 more Bricasti's in the future

Last edited by TanTan; 24th July 2015 at 07:56 AM..
Old 24th July 2015
It's far and away the best sounding reverb I've ever heard in terms on clarity and quality but I guess like a few others have pointed out, if you're into something a little more retro it might feel to clean, and the Lexicons have quite a different vibe. I have 2 M7s, a 480, 224, 91, 81 & a 70. I'd be quite happy to ditch all the Lex bar the 224 & replace with Bricasti's!
Old 28th July 2015
Lives for gear
For that price you can get a real plate or an AKG spring or both, both of which destroy the bricasti or any digital verb as far as pure euphony (or euphonicity?). Versatility is another issue, but I like awesome one trick ponies rather than presets. I'd much rather have a mellotron with three sounds than a digital workstation keyboard with infinite sounds. Or for the price, turn your basement into a chamber. I have heard a couple of shootouts with EMT 140's vs bricasti plates, and while they sounded similar enough, the random analogueness of the plate just made the music so much sweeter rather than just being an effect. May have to do with the electronics, but damn if that 140 doesn't send chills up my spine.
Old 29th July 2015
Gear Guru

live with it for a while.it'll grow on you.
its not a super vibey piece.its the natural,realism,clarity box.
I have tons of usual suspect lex boxes,an EMT 140,Roland,Yammie,AKG verbs and a bazzilion plug verbs..Hverb,alti,Vahalla etc..
The Bricasti is its own thing.and its friggin amazing.nothing comes close for real natural 3-d space.
Old 29th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
For that price you can get a real plate or an AKG spring or both, both of which destroy the bricasti or any digital verb as far as pure euphony (or euphonicity?). Versatility is another issue, but I like awesome one trick ponies rather than presets. I'd much rather have a mellotron with three sounds than a digital workstation keyboard with infinite sounds. Or for the price, turn your basement into a chamber. I have heard a couple of shootouts with EMT 140's vs bricasti plates, and while they sounded similar enough, the random analogueness of the plate just made the music so much sweeter rather than just being an effect. May have to do with the electronics, but damn if that 140 doesn't send chills up my spine.
funny I remember seeing early Bricasti vs 140 videos and thinking the exact same thing..until I got an M7 in my room and shot it out with my own 140.
I'm totally a fan of the random thing but damn,after using both units side by side for a few years now I can say without any hesitation the Bricasti is different and equally as amazing.
indispensable in fact.often the plate for the traditional plate thing and the Bricasti for any spatial room enhancements or short non lin types.kills every plug in in existence.
killer combo.
also on any given day depending on room temp,humidity,random gear grems etc the plate can change sonically.
in this day and age,not always good for demanding super fast recalls.
Old 29th July 2015
Lives for gear
I have Bricasti and currently making a plate reverb for fun! I second what many say. I LOVE the bricasti. It sounds like a real room. Super real and beautiful. Doesn't sound like a plate though in the same way a nice room doesn't. MUCH better than Lex for realism but Lex sounds like a Lex and Bricasti does not. If only one reverb in world, would be Bricasti every time
Old 29th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
funny I remember seeing early Bricasti vs 140 videos and thinking the exact same thing..until I got an M7 in my room and shot it out with my own 140.
I'm totally a fan of the random thing but damn,after using both units side by side for a few years now I can say without any hesitation the Bricasti is different and equally as amazing.
indispensable in fact.often the plate for the traditional plate thing and the Bricasti for any spatial room enhancements or short non lin types.kills every plug in in existence.
killer combo.
also on any given day depending on room temp,humidity,random gear grems etc the plate can change sonically.
in this day and age,not always good for demanding super fast recalls.
I will defer to you since you have both and i have neither. But usually in shootouts of any kind, especially when both have been digitized, you can't really tell what is what. But on this one I heard, they both sounded similar, but the plate was just sweeter somehow, gave me goosebumps with a vocal that did nothing for me dry or through the bricasti. I went back and listened to all three again and the same thing. Maybe it was this particular plate or the chain or how hard it was hit or dampened or who knows, but it was an incredible reaction, something that usually only Indian classical music does for me. And a similar thing happened when hearing an AKG BX 25 with a vocal I didn't even like.

There is a lot of audio woo woo and myth going around about analog vs digital and all that, but for a reverb to have that effect on me especially when it's sampled down to MP3, makes me think something is going on in those things that can't be modeled.
Old 29th July 2015
Lives for gear

We have an EMT 140 plate, BX20 spring reverb, etc and earlier this year we cut a record with an engineer who brought his M7.

It's absolutely amazing, in a different way than the real plates or springs. The rooms and ambiences are out of this world on the M7.

I need to start saving for one..
Old 29th July 2015
Jai guru deva om

For pop music vocals etc, another more obvious effect type of reverb might make more sense.

For "it sounds like I'm in a room...I built for this song..." reach for the Bricasti M7. It does real sounding spaces like nothing else.

War
Old 29th July 2015
There are two types of recording studios in this world.

Those that own an M7 and those that do not.
Old 29th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
We have an EMT 140 plate, BX20 spring reverb, etc and earlier this year we cut a record with an engineer who brought his M7.

It's absolutely amazing, in a different way than the real plates or springs. The rooms and ambiences are out of this world on the M7.

I need to start saving for one..
I have a bx20 too
It's actually in the classifieds
Old 29th July 2015
Hoping the upcoming M200 will do plates a bit 'better/different' than the M7. I still use an SPX900 for the grainy plate sound. But for a blending 'verb there is no comparison with the M7. There are some amazing chambers to add sustain, and some of Spaces on vocal can crack mix wide open. I just tapped into the Ice House preset on a vocal, with some tweaking to rid of the sibilance - incredible.
Old 29th July 2015
Lives for gear

The M7 is absolutely ridiculous - IMO by far the most flexible reverb and very often best sounding reverb I've used.

A 140 can sound amazing, but it can also be so far wrong that it's unusable. Same with the 240, and the BX10/15/20s are also amazing in the right situation but very very very specific in their use.

I haven't much experience on the PCM91 etc to be honest, that generation of Lexicon reverbs hasn't caught my ear enough for me to warrant delving into them (they're before my time), but the 224 and 480 are incredible. I love them both.

But despite all this, if I had to pick one reverb it'd be the M7. It can sound ridiculously lifelike but also so beautiful and full of character at the same time. Huge fan
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

I have had a M7 for a long time AND I LIKE IT A LOT! but my 480L always seems to get used more often.
Old 30th July 2015
I also got bowled over by the Bricasti brilliance and bought another one. Sold my 480L and never looked back. I do miss the model 200 though.... I love old plates and springs too, but like many my tastes change over time...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search