The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Prism Titan or MH LIO-8 as Monitor Controller
Old 19th July 2015
Gear Addict

Prism Titan or MH LIO-8 as Monitor Controller

I'm currently using a Burl AD for my primary recording channels and the DA in my Dangerous Source for monitoring. Both are connected through an RME UFX. I'd like to upgrade the UFX and I think I'm going to go with either a Prism Titan or a Metric Halo LIO-8, assuming MH gets their PC-USB act together.

My question has to do with the volume controllers built into the Titan and the LIO-8. I can't seem to find much information, other than they're both digitally controlled analog. Are these using motorized pots or switched arrays of precision resistors? Or something else? I've googled my fingers to the bone and I just can't find this info.

If they are both just pots, then I would buy a high-end monitor controller, such as from Grace or Antelope or Dangerous or Crane Song or maybe even Sound Skulptor.

If one of them is a switched resistor array providing accurate left-right tracking, then I may just get a passive monitor switcher. I use 4 different sets of monitors for various purposes.

Would someone please give me accurate info about these units?
Old 19th July 2015
Lives for gear

Does switched mean stepped? The Titan volume knob is stepped with an led meter. You can also control it from the software.

As a reminder you can call tech support.
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
Does switched mean stepped? The Titan volume knob is stepped with an led meter. You can also control it from the software.

As a reminder you can call tech support.
Thank you for replying. Switched means using a multi-pole switch to directly switch between precision resistors of the correct values, or using a switch to switch between arrays of relays that handle the resistors. This allows level-matching left and right much more precisely than a ganged pot.

So switched implies stepped but there are also stepped pots, so stepped doesn't imply switched.

But you are correct, I can check with the two companies' tech support, but I was hoping somebody here might know for sure. I don't want to waste MH's tech support time because they aren't PC ready yet anyway, but I would like to plan my layout for the future.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search