The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why no talk here about Nordic Audio Labs microphones Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Why no talk here about Nordic Audio Labs microphones

Just wondering, why these mics are not more widely talked about here...I have 2 Black Pearls and they are my goto mics for many applications (OH, Ac.GTR, many vocals, piano, horns to name a few). I've also tested (but don't own myself) a Nu-47 and found it excellent.

To my ears the Black Pearls sound very natural, kind of like in between Condenser and Ribbon, the dark and huge bottom of ribbon with a clean and clear topend of a condenser.

This is not a sponsored message...These mics are from Finland, I'm from there as well so I wanted to try and see if the mics that come from my country would be good. After testing a pair for a week or so, I had to get my own pair...

I suggest you people try Nordic Audio Labs Black Pearls, I'm using mine both in studio and also live...Just great mics...The only complaint I have is that they don't stand sound pressure like some other mics do so they really can't be used on guitar / bass cabs...Other than that I'm very satisfied.

Anyone else using these?
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Guru

Martin Kantola obviously makes some really great mics and also knows what to do with them, or this here wouldn't sound this good....all Nordic Audio Labs mics....mixed without eq, compression or effects no less.......must be some of the most natural sounds going.

Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

Funny, I have an NU47 here that I tried to post in the classifieds that never posted. Gorgeous mic....the wooden one.
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Yes, "natural" is just the right word to describe the sound.

Martin Kantola is a genius, no surprise I also found his name involved in Amphion-land as well...

Have to say that the stuff I record with Blackpearls sounds amazing on my One18s (also everywhere else of course).

Good times, me like!

--
Old 19th July 2015
Lives for gear

Other mics usually not discussed here (that would deserve mentioning):
Sanken
T.H.E.
Sandhill
Milab
Ehrlund
Sonodore
Old 19th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Martin Kantola obviously makes some really great mics and also knows what to do with them, or this here wouldn't sound this good....all Nordic Audio Labs mics....mixed without eq, compression or effects no less.......must be some of the most natural sounds going.

That is a sound I like,.. WOW !

I do tend to think that the 'production method' has more impact on the sound then this particular mics have, I mean, these mics sound fine, but you could do this with any good quality mics and have this WOW ! sound.

I like it !
Old 20th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Other mics usually not discussed here (that would deserve mentioning):
Sanken
T.H.E.
Sandhill
Milab
Ehrlund
Sonodore
All these have been discussed as Martins'
during the years

Matti
Old 20th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
All these have been discussed as Martins'
during the years

Matti
Yes, but not "usually", as I stated. There is a very strong tendency here on GS to discuss only certain brand names, that have either a strong historic recognition, or that are being promoted vigorously here by (sometimes hidden) representatives.

Personally I try to dicuss microphones based on first hand user experience. I wish such would be the starting point for most mic discussions, instead of the perpetual marketing buzz that we are subject to now. I'm not saying that this marketing buzz is always purposely started by the stakeholders, but since the archives are full of it already, this creates its own self-fulfilling prophecy. The users of microphones (most of the people hanging out here, I guess) are not served by that.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Maniac
Yes, just wondering...Many many threads about U87s or 414s or 184s or Royers... I personally started a thread about Black Pearls when I got them basically because the sound was just so good and "easy" but that thread died quite fast...Maybe people don't have these mikes so they don't have the experience to discuss?...I don't care for marketing bulls**t, I've found many of my every day working tools by reading this forum and then trying things out when possible. For that purpose GS is a great place since many new brands (that never come to my country) are discussed and tried out here...
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Try to understnand these mics are not mass produced so there are not so many particiapants here in Gearslutz....

Matti
Old 22nd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
Just wondering, why these mics are not more widely talked about here...I have 2 Black Pearls and they are my goto mics for many applications (OH, Ac.GTR, many vocals, piano, horns to name a few). I've also tested (but don't own myself) a Nu-47 and found it excellent.

To my ears the Black Pearls sound very natural, kind of like in between Condenser and Ribbon, the dark and huge bottom of ribbon with a clean and clear topend of a condenser.

This is not a sponsored message...These mics are from Finland, I'm from there as well so I wanted to try and see if the mics that come from my country would be good. After testing a pair for a week or so, I had to get my own pair...

I suggest you people try Nordic Audio Labs Black Pearls, I'm using mine both in studio and also live...Just great mics...The only complaint I have is that they don't stand sound pressure like some other mics do so they really can't be used on guitar / bass cabs...Other than that I'm very satisfied.

Anyone else using these?
Thanks for sharing your experience! By posting about gear here on Gearslutz, it becomes more widely known! From Finland all the way to New England!

I have a client who owns the NU-47 and we have used it for several recordings and I think it is an amazing microphone.
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

I had a pair of Black Pearls on a drum session last night, Glyn Johns style OH on a sparse acoustic arrangement. It helped to have a great drummer and a bunch of Studio Traps, but the sound was beautifully natural, no eq. I agree with the original poster, they seem to occupy a space between ribbon/condenser and are very versatile. They love acoustic instruments.

You won't see much written here because the user base is comparatively small to Neumann, Royer, etc... Martin has a great imagination, technical chops, and an amazing set of ears. I think his mic's are well known by those that know them.

Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Guru

Are those Black Pearls square capsules? Seems likely by the sonic descriptions....
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

@ karlo ff - they are rectangular capsules.

Overall, I found them to be easy to use, premium workhorse mic's. They are small, quiet, and don't require a huge stand, or much gain - making them less preamp-dependent.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
@ karlo ff - they are rectangular capsules.

Overall, I found them to be easy to use, premium workhorse mic's. They are small, quiet, and don't require a huge stand, or much gain - making them less preamp-dependent.
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

I knew it

Oh ohh my god. That recording is absolutely fabulous. If it's really without any EQ or compression it must be to tape, no?
I'll have to give Martin a call
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
Just wondering, why these mics are not more widely talked about here [. . .]
Karloff70 did refer me to them for high end classical guitar recording.

I went to their website and left with a good impression. Thanks for the additional endorsement.

- Ray H.
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post

Did you do this Karloff70? I’m only listening on my phone but I’m not convinced that what we hear is actually what we see. Take leakage aside for a minute, the lead vocal sounds extremely dry and no sign of plosives. That would have to be an extremely dead room with no reflections whatsoever and he’d have to be aiming his plosives away from the mic while making it all look effortlessly. I’ll listen again on proper speakers later today...
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah I just listened. There is no way the recording is from what we see.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Did you do this Karloff70? I’m only listening on my phone but I’m not convinced that what we hear is actually what we see. Take leakage aside for a minute, the lead vocal sounds extremely dry and no sign of plosives. That would have to be an extremely dead room with no reflections whatsoever and he’d have to be aiming his plosives away from the mic while making it all look effortlessly. I’ll listen again on proper speakers later today...
No, I did not do this.
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

New mics coming up from NAL with all new capsules made by Martin himself. This one is a straight up U47 copy I believe.

Also had the great pleasure of testing some of his M50 inspired omnis on a live orchestral recording.
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m only listening on my phone but I’m not convinced that what we hear is actually what we see. Take leakage aside for a minute, the lead vocal sounds extremely dry and no sign of plosives. That would have to be an extremely dead room with no reflections whatsoever and he’d have to be aiming his plosives away from the mic while making it all look effortlessly. I’ll listen again on proper speakers later today...
I take this as a huge compliment, thanks :-) We did indeed record the song live with the microphones you see, in those very positions. After we had a master take we were please with, we shot some additional angles and close-ups, running the first take as a playback tape. Playback was on the Amphion speakers you see, they were also used to provide a touch of monitoring for the vocals during recording.

I then "mixed" the song ITB using only balancing and panning, no EQ or FX or dynamics. The stereo file was then mastered by Henkka Niemistö at Chartmakers East, so you could say that there is some processing involved, but I'd like to offer you a chance to hear both the unmastered stereo file and even the multitrack files if you're interested. Perhaps it's best you email me with your request, please use [email protected] to contact me.

To confirm, yes I've been locked up in the workshop for a a few years working on my own capsules as well as all new mic designs, and getting very close to an official release. I'd love to share a little preview and listen of what's been cooking. Like to think it pretty unique stuff, a new color for painting beautiful sonic art.
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Martin! Congrats for your work!
Seriously impressed by the sound of your mikes
and looking for the 47 sound again, how is priced the mic in the last video?
I'm interested in the multitrack files too please!
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola View Post
I take this as a huge compliment, thanks :-) We did indeed record the song live with the microphones you see, in those very positions. After we had a master take we were please with, we shot some additional angles and close-ups, running the first take as a playback tape. Playback was on the Amphion speakers you see, they were also used to provide a touch of monitoring for the vocals during recording.

I then "mixed" the song ITB using only balancing and panning, no EQ or FX or dynamics. The stereo file was then mastered by Henkka Niemistö at Chartmakers East, so you could say that there is some processing involved, but I'd like to offer you a chance to hear both the unmastered stereo file and even the multitrack files if you're interested. Perhaps it's best you email me with your request, please use [email protected] to contact me.

To confirm, yes I've been locked up in the workshop for a a few years working on my own capsules as well as all new mic designs, and getting very close to an official release. I'd love to share a little preview and listen of what's been cooking. Like to think it pretty unique stuff, a new color for painting beautiful sonic art.
Hey Martin, thanks for responding and you're welcome for the compliment

I have to stand by my comment that what we see is not what we hear. I understand the purpose of exaggerating a performance as an artist to "sell" the product but in this instance, the artist may have gotten a little carried away. Not that it matters of course - 99% of the audience can't understand that swinging the guitar back and forth like that or jumping up and down to the beat has serious implications to the consistency of the recording.

Thanks for offering to share the multi-tracks. I went to great lengths working on my room specifically to make it as live as possible while still keeping it balanced, so I'm interested in the sound of yours going the opposite direction with minimal reflections.
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not that it matters of course - 99% of the audience can't understand that swinging the guitar back and forth like that or jumping up and down to the beat has serious implications to the consistency of the recording.
Did not ask him to stand still for the main take (from which the audio is used) or move around for the other takes, it just happened, if it did :-)

Quote:
I went to great lengths working on my room specifically to make it as live as possible while still keeping it balanced, so I'm interested in the sound of yours going the opposite direction with minimal reflections.
The curtains kind of just happened too because I wanted to use the space for photography and video, but the rest of the space is not treated to much, only some panels to reduce mid range reverberation time. Most of the damping and diffusion probably comes from all the various stuff in the room. It's really a multi-purpose space.
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Listened to the multitrack it sounds really, really good
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Martin, I can't wait to hear about your new stuff! Are you going too attend AES by any chance?
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Would love to, so many people I'd like to meet! Work might keep me stuck here though... Let's see.
Old 8th September 2018
I love my newly serviced NU47. It's like the best of all worlds. I've never heard a Thiersch capsule sound so good.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

new video

See (and hear) the first mic I ever built :-)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search