The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overstayer M-A-S Model 8101 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th July 2015
Lives for gear

Overstayer M-A-S Model 8101

Hi there,

I was looking into units to bring some analog mojo in my ITB mixes.
I do techno/house/electronica mostly and I use several drummachines, modular synths..etc
Now I almost pulled the trigger on the Culture Vulture but discovered the Overstayer M-A-S Model 8101... which has the specs I am looking for.

Unfortunately I can't barlely find any review or demo of this in the webs.
Anybody here already has this thing in his rack and could lose some words on it?
A demo with some dry/wet comparison would be charming !

thnaks
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

amazing!!!!!

it is subtle but does exactly what is is suppose to do.

ej
Old 19th July 2015
Here for the gear

Same question here!

I also considere Looptrotter Emperor and Portico 5042, any thoughts??
Old 19th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Hi there,

I was looking into units to bring some analog mojo in my ITB mixes.
I do techno/house/electronica mostly and I use several drummachines, modular synths..etc
Now I almost pulled the trigger on the Culture Vulture but discovered the Overstayer M-A-S Model 8101... which has the specs I am looking for.

Unfortunately I can't barlely find any review or demo of this in the webs.
Anybody here already has this thing in his rack and could lose some words on it?
A demo with some dry/wet comparison would be charming !

thnaks
The master and servant is a game changer.
Incredible.
Eric Valentine talked about it at length in a thread here. Try searching "master/servant" or "master and servant"
It's here somewhere.
I have 4 channels. Really great saturation tool.
There's also some new stuff from Overstayer coming soon that will blow minds.
Old 29th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah90210 View Post
The master and servant is a game changer.
Incredible.
Eric Valentine talked about it at length in a thread here. Try searching "master/servant" or "master and servant"
It's here somewhere.
I have 4 channels. Really great saturation tool.
There's also some new stuff from Overstayer coming soon that will blow minds.
Some new stuff?? Please let us in on what you know. I'm currently waiting for a promised demo MAS and am excited.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Some new stuff?? Please let us in on what you know. I'm currently waiting for a promised demo MAS and am excited.
"master / slave" is the saturation circuit of MAS and a lot of the newer OS product line. Jeff also has various incarnations (prototypes) floating around. He's a real tinkering gear slut! cool fun stuff
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Guru

I have the stereo Saturator and new Stereo Field Effect rocking drum busses.
one word-awesome.
I plan on getting one of his new 2 channel do everything boxes.
its basically a stereo channel strip:optional pre/di, then running compression/saturation/filteration/eq all in parallel paths.
it's basically doing the work of 3-4 outboard units in one,but in a forward thinking,super musical and fun way.
Jeff demoed it for me a few weeks back on drums and synth.super deep box.sick possibilities.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I have the stereo Saturator and new Stereo Field Effect rocking drum busses.
one word-awesome.
I plan on getting one of his new 2 channel do everything boxes.
its basically a stereo channel strip:optional pre/di, then running compression/saturation/filteration/eq all in parallel paths.
it's basically doing the work of 3-4 outboard units in one,but in a forward thinking,super musical and fun way.
Jeff demoed it for me a few weeks back on drums and synth.super deep box.sick possibilities.
yeah i saw a proto photo of that. the version i saw was a 3U half rack -- does it still look like this?
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
yeah i saw a proto photo of that. the version i saw was a 3U half rack -- does it still look like this?
It's 2U full rack.
Lots of bells and whistles and looks like it evolving almost weekly w new stuff.
I think you can see the proto on the OVS Facebook page
Old 13th September 2015
Very curious about this as well, was about to drop 4k on the anamod tape sim but i feel this may be more appropriate/what I actually am after in the long run. eagerly awaiting user feedback on this product. also very curious about the stereo voltage control, unsure if i really need another compressor as i hardly use them, or if the compressor section is gentle enough for mastering applications. remains to be seen! but im pumped!
Old 13th September 2015
Gear Guru

I had the Anamod with all the cards.
The design ideas are different but for what I get sonically I Much prefer the Overstayer stuff.
I've got the saturator and SFE both running on parallel busses on my console.
Killer.
Old 13th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I had the Anamod with all the cards.
The design ideas are different but for what I get sonically I Much prefer the Overstayer stuff.
I've got the saturator and SFE both running on parallel busses on my console.
Killer.
Good to hear, i tried the anamod a few times and liked the how unobtrusive it is,
I have heard nothing but rave reviews about the overstayer stuff as whole. I feel like the mas is a brilliant concept, 2 gain stages and a blend per channel is fantastic. checks all boxes really. I am guessing it can also be unobtrusive just due to the nature of the gain/blend stages, i felt with the anamod I wanted more...
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

After months of waiting, I got a M-A-S, and it kicks A-S-S on the mix bus. Total mix bus magic, at least to my ears. Jeff is onto something amazing here. I found the 2nd harmonic setting to be more useful for mix stuff and also prefer it in "emphasis" mode. This is my kinda shizzle.
Old 17th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
After months of waiting, I got a M-A-S, and it kicks A-S-S on the mix bus. Total mix bus magic, at least to my ears. Jeff is onto something amazing here. I found the 2nd harmonic setting to be more useful for mix stuff and also prefer it in "emphasis" mode. This is my kinda shizzle.
Hey Greg....I know you're a busy guy, but if you ever get a chance to post a clip or two, that would be much appreciated! Many people around here seem to be really interested in this piece, and it's near impossible to find any clips!
Old 18th August 2016
Can anyone else chime in and speak of their experiences of the M-A-S ?
Old 18th August 2016
Also is is descrete and tx's?
Or all IC?
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

I have also been using the mas with my Kemper. rock out

the kemper by itself is great but with the mas it goes up another 10 notches.

ej
Old 5th September 2016
Gear Maniac
Got mine a week or so ago... Really like it on mixbus...I've tried many settings and so far haven't found any magic "do it all"-settings but instead found very cool settings that worked wonders on projects at hand.

There are many ways to use M-A-S. I've used mine for saturating and "thickening" mixes and also as a "make it louder"-tool, like Oxford Inflator or UAD Precission Maximizer plugins...

I really like this thing, can't wait to track with it.

-- M
Old 10th October 2016
Gear Addict

I can't live without it on an insert for bass, a parallel kick and snare bus and the drums/bass bus. It's what music sounds like to me now.
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Head

I like what M-A-S does to the sound stage. It adds depth, and feels like very fine sandpaper on the tips of the transients. I'm not hitting it too hard.

Last edited by Finnius; 13th March 2017 at 01:35 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search