The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
removing stain on Neumann body
Old 11th July 2015
Here for the gear
removing stain on Neumann body

Hey guys, recently an older neumann u87ai came into my possession. I had the microphone dated by emailing neumann and they said it was roughly made in the 2000's. I attached a picture of the microphone and I have a few questions about it. There are some minor stains on the metal of the body. How can I remove them? Are these stains normal for its age? And what can I do to prevent them in the future?
Pics of the mic: http://i.imgur.com/SRncoSf.jpg
The sound of the microphone is spectacular however and I am quite happy with it. If I can just restore its cosmetic appearance, I would be over the moon. I hope you guys can offer me some advice.

Last edited by yams22; 11th July 2015 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: forgot picture
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

I don't see any stains. Maybe it's just the nickel getting patina. Just leave it.
Old 12th July 2015
Doesn't look bad. I had a M149 that showed some staining which was not a problem, but when it was time to sell used a dremel with a buffing head and windex applied from a cloth ..might have used goo gone too. seemed to do the trick. gl
Old 13th July 2015
I get the same wear on my tlm103, it's just the finish naturally wearing down, nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search