The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL X-Rack Bus Comp or other? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Had the 19" SSL for a couple years and mixes a million records into it. I liked how it glued the mix but felt like it just kinda messed with it a bit too much. A little too grabby.

I then tried a Red3 and sold the SSL immediately. I don't think I will ever get rid of it. It glues the mix very well but without messing with it too much and maintaining its inherent sound, but also makes it sound really big. The way it retains low end while gluing is incredible.
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadkd View Post
While I mostly agree with you about the rest of what you've written about the different choices of compression available, I was referring to the bus comp in the console. Also, for the record, the SSL FX384 has an EXTERNAL sidechain input and button to engage in. It did NOT have a onboard high pass filter inserted into the sidechain, like the 500 series new version. Please don't quote me with authority, and then infer that I'm wrong. I'm not. We are referring to the same products. When I was referring to sidechain input on the XRack version vis a vis the modified or new 500 series version, I meant an external sidechain input, arguably more useful to the advanced user, and not just a filter insert in the sidechain. Also I was addressing the OP's question about the advantage of buying one over the other, directly above my post. Peace.
Exactly.....as I insinuated im my replied statement, I had no idea if you were talking G 384 FX or SL-4000 Comp?
Regards
TheLastByte
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
The compressor uses 4 SIL That Corp VCAs. The VCAs themselves aren't surface mounted, but they also aren't arranged in a 202 style footprint VCA so you don't really have much hope swapping them for a DBX gold can.

I am a huge fan of the Smart C1.
I'm the Same with the C1 though they are close in 384 FX and early G-Xlogic Comps using 202c's, (I think Alan Smart designed the "Original C1 to be very close to the G-FX 384 and SL-4K Bus Comp using different slew rate VCA's) I'm also pretty sure the DBX Socketing is a totally different (on the Board) in circuit arrangement, so even if you had a 28 Pin ZIF socket and could swap say a THAT 2180 VCA then try to use a DBX 202 VCA would require a ZIF Socket redesign of the circuit redesign due to the actual VCA used and it's pin arrangement!

Last edited by TheLastByte; 13th September 2015 at 05:23 PM..
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantHear.me View Post
Don't mean to bring up a 2 week old thread, but I've been searching for a new compressor to get.. And stumbled across this thread.

Then I checked the zen pro audio clipalator and holy mother of god I am absolutely blown away with the xrack bus comp. I feel like it's the sound I've been lusting over - just never knew where to find it. I much prefer it to the obsidian (according to the clipalator clips). It sounds how music should sound to me. It sounds expensive, glooey but very clear, much prefer the top end (how vocals and acoustic) sounded on the ssl vs obsidian, and I can't wait to get it.

Just wanted to throw this out there because every time this subject is brought up (in my past couple days research), people come in droves and praise the obsidian saying that it does "ssl better than ssl," but for me (and I'm making commercial music to be played on radio and compete), the xrack is the sound I hear on the radio, and it's the first time I've listened to audio of a compressor and that feeling just "clicked" for me.

Yup, I feel the same way after listening to the SSL bus comp and clones (Serpent, Alan Smart, Dramastic) clips on Zen Pro Audio. The SSL Bus Comp sounds the clearest, no lost/smearing of transients and delivers the best punch.
Old 20th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Feeling the same as many others in here that the SSL X Rack Buss comp would likely be my choice (been in the market for one of these lately, and thought I was sold on the Alan Smart… previously was thinking Obsidian but I really like the extra options on the Smart). That said, the SSL keeps a soundstage better to my ears, retains transients in the highs better,.. the obsidian definitely has an extra thump in the low mids. The Smart strikes me as potentially fantastic drum buss comp…

This exercise makes me REALLY want to hear an old grey face G384 to compare to see if those gold cans make a further difference worth and extra grand +

Anyone with direct comparison on these?
Old 10th November 2015
I've had my 500 series SSL G series bus comp for a few months now and man I gotta say this thing is killer. I'm learning how to use it better with every mix, and I find it just brings everything to life that I run through it. Those higher ratios with long attacks just put drums and the mix bus right in your face without making it sound like its losing dynamics. Love this thing.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink View Post
Feeling the same as many others in here that the SSL X Rack Buss comp would likely be my choice (been in the market for one of these lately, and thought I was sold on the Alan Smart… previously was thinking Obsidian but I really like the extra options on the Smart). That said, the SSL keeps a soundstage better to my ears, retains transients in the highs better,.. the obsidian definitely has an extra thump in the low mids. The Smart strikes me as potentially fantastic drum buss comp…

This exercise makes me REALLY want to hear an old grey face G384 to compare to see if those gold cans make a further difference worth and extra grand +

Anyone with direct comparison on these?
And here is the great Conundrum - Just as you find the FX 384 SSL Compressor at $4,200, it's got that THAT VCA's in it not DBX 202's etc. I'm really glad SSL G Comp 500 moved from the 2, 4 10 +SC from the typical SSL ratio though the C1LA with T2 and extra Release times Plus the DC Linking was just to clever by half!

As always - User preference! - One mans Reverb can be another persons Delay!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search