The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High quality line-splitter; active or passive?
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

High quality line-splitter; active or passive?

I want to split the output from an X-desk to go to two different destinations. So far all I've found are these:

First is active, second is passive, which would you recommend...any other suggestions appreciated...

Lake People ANA-Tool F844 - Thomann Ireland

Palmer PRM-LS Line-Splitter - Thomann Ireland
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

If you know the input characteristics of the destinations then you may find that a simple "Wye" connection could offer excellent performance without the degradation of passive transformers or additional electronics.

Technically you're looking for something called a "distribution amplifier".

I've been designing and winding custom and boutique audio transformers since 1988. I love transformers but, to achieve the best sonics a transformer must be optimized to the intended circuit, there is no universal great transformer interface or else I would have been selling them 20 years ago.

Your mixer has an electronically balanced output. If you want to feed two destinations and they both have electronically balanced inputs then a simple Y-connector should work fine as long as both destinations receive enough signal level.

If one or both of your destinations have transformer balanced inputs then an "active" distribution amp should be on your radar to avoid distortion. No splitter transformer alone will give you "Pro" performance without associated active electronics.

If you need additional help PM me.

Good luck and good music to all!
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
If you know the input characteristics of the destinations then you may find that a simple "Wye" connection could offer excellent performance without the degradation of passive transformers or additional electronics.

Technically you're looking for something called a "distribution amplifier".

I've been designing and winding custom and boutique audio transformers since 1988. I love transformers but, to achieve the best sonics a transformer must be optimized to the intended circuit, there is no universal great transformer interface or else I would have been selling them 20 years ago.

Your mixer has an electronically balanced output. If you want to feed two destinations and they both have electronically balanced inputs then a simple Y-connector should work fine as long as both destinations receive enough signal level.

If one or both of your destinations have transformer balanced inputs then an "active" distribution amp should be on your radar to avoid distortion. No splitter transformer alone will give you "Pro" performance without associated active electronics.

If you need additional help PM me.

Good luck and good music to all!
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I considered a "Wye", I often just use these...do you think the -6dB loss is preferable to the potential degradation of passive-transformers/active-electronics?

...there will be a HQ passive attenuator after the split and then some long enough cable runs to an A/D (signal processor)...not transformer balanced...

The Lake is basically a kind of distribution amp...I can't find much information on it...it looks like a high quality unit, though I'd worry about some degradation, especially since it has some filters in it...

The Palmer seems OK, apparently "transparent"...wondering if anyone had any experience with one...
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gafraidh View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I considered a "Wye", I often just use these...do you think the -6dB loss is preferable to the potential degradation of passive-transformers/active-electronics?

...there will be a HQ passive attenuator after the split and then some long enough cable runs to an A/D (signal processor)...not transformer balanced...

The Lake is basically a kind of distribution amp...I can't find much information on it...it looks like a high quality unit, though I'd worry about some degradation, especially since it has some filters in it...

The Palmer seems OK, apparently "transparent"...wondering if anyone had any experience with one...
Not sure what -6dB loss you're referring to, as the impedance goes down the current goes up. There does not need to be a fixed loss in there, it all depends on the loads that are to be fed. If they're not equal then there can be losses and problems.

Personally I would try the Wye, it's some XLR connectors, a bit of wire and some soldering.

I use a Neutrik Minalyzer in situations like this, it provides a handy way to see what the signal level really is and how the devices affect the overall level.

I don't know how high quality your overall system is. I know I don't like to go through transformers I don't need to because they always degrade the sound unless they're very carefully matched to the circuit.

Transformers are difficult loads for modern electronics to drive. Without optimization there will be tonal degradation, modern op amps are not up to the task of driving low coil impedances and achieving great sonics.

Try the Y.

Good luck and good music to you.
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
Not sure what -6dB loss you're referring to, as the impedance goes down the current goes up. There does not need to be a fixed loss in there, it all depends on the loads that are to be fed. If they're not equal then there can be losses and problems.

Personally I would try the Wye, it's some XLR connectors, a bit of wire and some soldering.

I use a Neutrik Minalyzer in situations like this, it provides a handy way to see what the signal level really is and how the devices affect the overall level.

I don't know how high quality your overall system is. I know I don't like to go through transformers I don't need to because they always degrade the sound unless they're very carefully matched to the circuit.

Transformers are difficult loads for modern electronics to drive. Without optimization there will be tonal degradation, modern op amps are not up to the task of driving low coil impedances and achieving great sonics.

Try the Y.

Good luck and good music to you.
Sorry my bad, I was thinking of something else there...

Thanks for the detailed reply ; the Minilyser looks like a nice tool.

Y it is!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search