The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to ship item to UK as repair?
Old 6th July 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
How to ship item to UK as repair?

Hi, I refurbished a vintage keybed. Its parts in a box.
The guy already owns the part I just did the repairs (new bushings and contacts)

But he asked for $500 insurance.
How can I fill out the insurance for $500 will he eventually pay tax and duty a second time on this?
Old 6th July 2015
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Hi, I refurbished a vintage keybed. Its parts in a box.
The guy already owns the part I just did the repairs (new bushings and contacts)

But he asked for $500 insurance.
How can I fill out the insurance for $500 will he eventually pay tax and duty a second time on this?
At the point he sent it he should have obtained a waiver from customs which travels with the item (can't remember what it is actually called - though it doesnt really matter as it is too late now anyway).
Old 6th July 2015
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
At the point he sent it he should have obtained a waiver from customs which travels with the item (can't remember what it is actually called - though it doesnt really matter as it is too late now anyway).
A Carnet?
Old 7th July 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
well I sent it as returned goods. Hell have to pay the duty I guess his fault for not researching it.
Old 7th July 2015
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
A Carnet?
yup. that's it i think.
Old 7th July 2015
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
well I sent it as returned goods. Hell have to pay the duty I guess his fault for not researching it.
He will be able to appeal the charge and if he has proof he sent it in the first place he *might* be lucky but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 7th July 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Matt Nolan's Avatar
 

The last time a looked, a Carnet application took some significant time and the fee was over 100 pounds. If any import duty is going to be less then that then it isn't worth the bother. Most of the import charges will be VAT. If VAT registered, the owner can claim this back.
Old 7th July 2015
  #8
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

I would clearly mark the contents as customers goods being returned after repair - that may help (especially if you still have the copies of the original paperwork proving the original shipping out to you).
Old 7th July 2015
  #9
I export all over the world. Even if marked from both ends, sent for repairs/returned from repairs, Customs will look at anything that provides value to tax. Usually that's either the value of the repairs on an invoice plus the insured amount on the Custom's forms.

Items valued at ten dollars or less usually get through Customs free. The risk is total loss if stolen or damaged.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump