The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should I swap one pair of my api 550b's for a pair of Avedis e27's?
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Nut

Should I swap one pair of my api 550b's for a pair of Avedis e27's?

I would love to get a pair of Avedis e27 eq´s and I have the chance to buy a pair of a friend but in order to do so I have to sell a pair of my API 550b´s. My 8 eq´s so far are: 6x 550b´s and 2x 560´s.

In the end I need 16 analogue 500 series eq´s for my summing system (SSL X-Desk paired with soon to be acquired Heritage Audio mcm-8) other eq´s (pairs) on my list are: Chandler Little Devil, Heritage Audio 73EQ Jr, Great River Harrison 32EQ, SSL 611eq. I think with all of these I´ve got pretty much everything covered soundwise, right?

So, I know everybody here loves the e27. Should I swap one pair of 550b´s for them? My main use would be (tracking & mixing) elec guitars, vocals, overheads. I do mainly rock/metal.

Thanx fellow gearslutz!
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Addict

Nope !!!
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
Nope !!!
Ok would you like to shine in on that? Thanx!
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
YEP!!!
Another very clear answer :D would like to know why if you have the time to reply, thanx!
Old 7th July 2015
I've tried them all. Ultimately I got rid of the 560s. I now have 16 x e27, 16 x API, 8 x AML 1073 and 4 x Harrison. they all have a very different thing.

I say yes. Do it (you won't regret it)
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've tried them all. Ultimately I got rid of the 560s. I now have 16 x e27, 16 x API, 8 x AML 1073 and 4 x Harrison. they all have a very different thing.

Hey Trev, I know you're a big fan of the e27, your 1608 looks great with them
I kinda feel I need the 550b´s for my drums close mics and I like them on heavy elec guitars and bass too. Maybe I should swap my 560´s for the e27´s The e27´s aren´t cheap so something has to go first.
Old 7th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1175 View Post
Hey Trev, I know you're a big fan of the e27, your 1608 looks great with them
I kinda feel I need the 550b´s for my drums close mics and I like them on heavy elec guitars and bass too. Maybe I should swap my 560´s for the e27´s The e27´s aren´t cheap so something has to go first.
I found the 560 easily expendable. Love my 550b's too so I can see where you are coming from. The e27 just works for me on pretty much everything. The only things I ALWAYS use the 550b for is kick and snare (though I usually use a Fairchild 627 on outside kick). Harrisons live on effects returns. AML gets used where I want to add some weight or authority to a signal and almost always on vocals.
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
I found the 560 easily expendable. Love my 550b's too so I can see where you are coming from. The e27 just works for me on pretty much everything. The only things I ALWAYS use the 550b for is kick and snare (though I usually use a Fairchild 627 on outside kick). Harrisons live on effects returns. AML gets used where I want to add some weight or authority to a signal and almost always on vocals.
Yes, the overlapping frequencies on the 550b's are vital to me for kick & snare. But like I said the e27's would be my choice for overheads/rooms and vocals I guess I could live without the 560's. Thanx for the info Trev!
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1175 View Post
like I said the e27's would be my choice for overheads/rooms and vocals I guess I could live without the 560's. Thanx for the info Trev!
Quote:

+1 !! If somebody like Trev has 16x e27, should give you an idea of how good they are. heh

Quote:
The e27 just works for me on pretty much everything.
+1!!

Fwiw I agree 100% with Trev..
E27 are fantastic and works great on just about everything..you really can't go wrong.. you could sacrifice a pair of 550b's for them, since you have 6.

They're not cheap, but they are so much more expensive to make than any other eq in the 500 series.. The money asked is a bargain for what you get, trust me, NO other manufacturer will do it like Avedis..(because otherwise they would cost 2k each easily.. and they might not sell enough to make a reasonable profit for the effort).

He just goes for quality, no corners cut, no matter what.. believe it or not this is happening in 2015 in the USA. Hats off to him !

You could read more on his greatness here: An Ode to Avedis...

I'm a big fan of his work and ethic.

Cheu
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

I have never EVER been unhappy that I had several 'redundant' pieces of pro gear because they all have their own strengths and I end up saying 'you know - the XYZ would be the go to for this' and if it isn't doing what you want, you try another pro piece. I cannot see a single reason not to have such variety.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
+1 !! If somebody like Trev has 16x e27, should give you an idea of how good they are. heh

+1!!

Fwiw I agree 100% with Trev..
E27 are fantastic and works great on just about everything..you really can't go wrong.. you could sacrifice a pair of 550b's for them, since you have 6.

They're not cheap, but they are so much more expensive to make than any other eq in the 500 series.. The money asked is a bargain for what you get, trust me, NO other manufacturer will do it like Avedis..(because otherwise they would cost 2k each easily.. and they might not sell enough to make a reasonable profit for the effort).

He just goes for quality, no corners cut, no matter what.. believe it or not this is happening in 2015 in the USA. Hats off to him !

You could read more on his greatness here: An Ode to Avedis...

I'm a big fan of his work and ethic.

Cheu
Just read that whole thread and yes, it makes me even more eager to get those e27's
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

The eq points are very different, but since you have a bunch of 550b makes sense to swap them out for some other flavor.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search