The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on Presonus ADL 600
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thoughts on Presonus ADL 600

Any thoughts on this for vocals?

Another one I've considered is the Focusrite ISA

So far from forums I gather that the Focusrite is somewhat more transparent, whereas the Presonus ADL has its own colour to it that others prefer?

Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Presonus has tubes and the Focusrite doesnt

Cheers
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ADL600 is a great preamp. Excellent on vocals.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cannot comment for the ADL, but I don't really fond of the ISA for vocals.
It gives something on the upper mids (I call it as 'brightness') that I don't really like.
Still, it's a great preamp. For drums, acoustic guitar, or miking a cab; it sounds astounding.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had both and had to sell both for financial reasons and if I had a chance to get them again it would be the adl 600. That thing sounded great on everything I ran through it and was built like a tank. There was nothing really wrong with the isa and it was a nice unit but I never really used it again after I got the adl.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I really like the ADL 600. It was designed by Fred Forssell, and it the only pre he designed with transformers, and it is pretty much on the clean side, but you can crank the input stage to get some grit if you want. Sounds great on everything. Presonus recently lowered the MAP price by $500, and Presonus is actually selling direct ADL600 refurbs on eBay for only $850, which I think is a very reasonable price for a pre that sold for over $2k just a few months ago.
Old 6th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
It was designed by Fred Forssell,
I didn't know this:
Im curious why it has the Anthony DeMaria, ADL, moniker then...
Wouldn't Presonus have done better advertising a 'Forssell' designed product?
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I understand that Forssell designed it for ADL, and Presonus saw a prototype at a trade show and negotiated a manufacturing deal w/ADL -- probably not knowing who the actual designer was. It only became common knowledge that it is a Forssell design when it appeared on the Forssell website some years after it had been in production.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
ADL600 is a great preamp. Excellent on vocals.
Is it any good for recording instruments?

Cabs, acoustic guitars, drums even?
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandaski View Post
Is it any good for recording instruments?

Cabs, acoustic guitars, drums even?
It doesn't discriminate I can assure you, it sounds good on anything if that's the tone you dig (it has nice tone).

War
Old 7th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
It doesn't discriminate I can assure you, it sounds good on anything if that's the tone you dig (it has nice tone).

War
Good to hear
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I really like the ADL 600. It was designed by Fred Forssell, and it the only pre he designed with transformers, and it is pretty much on the clean side, but you can crank the input stage to get some grit if you want. Sounds great on everything. Presonus recently lowered the MAP price by $500, and Presonus is actually selling direct ADL600 refurbs on eBay for only $850, which I think is a very reasonable price for a pre that sold for over $2k just a few months ago.
Hey Cathedral Guitar, thanks for the tip.
I went to Ebay and bought the last one they had.
They only had 3.
I will report back when I get it.
I will use it primarily for vocals.
Thank you again for the tip.

dan
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

40 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
ADL 600 is a great mic pre; I had the chance to use it once and was impressed with the headroom and clean but smooth sound it offered. With so much competition out there I think it lacks the attention it deserves.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
ADL 600 is a great mic pre; I had the chance to use it once and was impressed with the headroom and clean but smooth sound it offered. With so much competition out there I think it lacks the attention it deserves.
I guess the same would happen if Behringer stamped their name on it. Brand association has a huge impact on consumer interest. Products like this are a real wake up call to us all that we should always assess things with an unprejudiced mind and use our own senses to draw a conclusion. Same goes for the opposite scenario, such as looking at the ADL660, which we have listed at a hefty 20kAUD. Always maintain an open mind and observe without prejudice!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
Hi Dan: In theory, they have an infinite number of these.

In practice, they seem to be adding 1 more unit every time they sell one, so there is always "only 1 remaining" but as soon as someone buys it, another one mysteriously surfaces. I.e., they currently have "only 1x remaining", even though you (and 6 other people) bought the "last one."
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi Dan: In theory, they have an infinite number of these.

In practice, they seem to be adding 1 more unit every time they sell one, so there is always "only 1 remaining" but as soon as someone buys it, another one mysteriously surfaces. I.e., they currently have "only 1x remaining", even though you (and 6 other people) bought the "last one."
Hahah

These are First Hand units though right?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey Cathedral Guitar, thanks for the tip.
They only had 3.
I will report back when I get it.
I will use it primarily for vocals.
Thank you again for the tip.

dan
Nice! Do let us know how it sounds
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
These are First Hand units though right?
They are being sold as "Factory Refurbished" but could also be first-hand units. If the latter, they still have to be called Refurbs in order to sell them at $750 below the MAP price.
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi everyone:
I bought one, since I have been following the ADL 600 for a while now.
Refurbished for a manufacturer usually could mean that people returned it and they refurbished it. So it could mean nobody has used it as well.
Or sometimes a manufacturer tries to create some activity due to slow sales. It could mean a lot of things, if it comes directly from the manufacturer.
Hopefully these will be good and long lasting.

Btw, what have been your experiences with the durability of the ADL 600, anyone?

Thank you.

dan
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
what have been your experiences with the durability of the ADL 600, anyone?
The first ADL600 I got was sent to me via an eBay seller, who was the worst at package prep I have ever seen. Think of your worst shipping nightmare: ADL600 in a big box, w/no bubble wrap, no newspaper, no nothing -- just a preamp rattling around in a large box, like how you might transport a kitten to the vet.

Anyway, the thing arrived with rack ears protruding through the cardboard from standard UPS handling, and I feared the worst. In a testament to the ADL600 build quality, the thing worked perfectly, with the only issue being one of the internal DI connectors had come loose, which was an easy fix to plug back in. To sum: the ADL600 was designed as spare-no-expense preamp and is built like a tank using military-grade parts.
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thank you C Guitar.
dan
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Any thoughts on this for vocals?

Another one I've considered is the Focusrite ISA

So far from forums I gather that the Focusrite is somewhat more transparent, whereas the Presonus ADL has its own colour to it that others prefer?

not terrible... but definitely NOT worth the street price.

Look for some used v72s or v72 clones...

Avalon 737 is a much better sounding unit than ADL and a better value since you get the eq and comp.. I've seen the ADl600 on ebay for as low as $700.. It might be worth about that much?? though I still wouldn't buy one. modern version of the Focusrite ISAs are worse than the ADL.... The old 115 is very good though..
Old 8th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
not terrible... but definitely NOT worth the street price.

Look for some used v72s or v72 clones...

Avalon 737 is a much better sounding unit than ADL and a better value since you get the eq and comp.. I've seen the ADl600 on ebay for as low as $700.. It might be worth about that much?? though I still wouldn't buy one. modern version of the Focusrite ISAs are worse than the ADL.... The old 115 is very good though..

Any thoughts on Neve/API as compared to the ADL 600?

Are the Neve/API tubed preamps and would they be considered at the same level as the ADL, or one up? Or are they just different sounding

If the Neve/API/BAE etc stuff provide overall better sounding performance, I might skip the ADL and go straight for one of those for vocals.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Are the Neve/API tubed preamps and would they be considered at the same level as the ADL, or one up? Or are they just different sounding

If the Neve/API/BAE etc stuff provide overall better sounding performance, I might skip the ADL and go straight for one of those for vocals.
Neve and API pres are solid state. Different flavours altogether really. 1073 pres are considered an industry standard for vocals ... but if you like what tubes do, you'll prefer the ADL.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
totally different you can't directly compare. Although ADL is better than Neve prism and VR not the older 10xx series modules

Quote:
Neve and API never made tube pres

Quote:
If you want a tube sound you won't get it from Neve or API.. It's all preference, it's all subjective as well. ADL is a good, I just don't think it's $2000 good
Old 8th July 2015
Deleted 1846071
Here is a comparison of the ADL 600 and API 512.

Flea 47 vs Peluso 2247. Shootout with Vintech, Grace, API, and ADL pres.

Here is a comparison of the ADL 600, two popular 1073 pres, and some API thrown in for good measure.

1073LB Vs MA5 Samples Thread - Get 'em while they're hot!

These are just two shootouts. There are more examples on this site and on YouTube. Google is your friend.

To my ears the ADL sounds great. It is big, clear, quiet, and detailed, with a smoothness on top. I hear a very slight tube puffiness and a fat bottom end. Sweet. There is not much tonal color, unless "neutral" is a color. Neve and API are leaner but with more mojo.

IMO a second-hand ADL600 is the best bang-for-buck tube pre on the market.
Old 14th July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi everyone:

Just reporting back to whom it may concern about this deal that I got on the ADL 600 refurbished.

1. It came with the original box.
2. It is not resealed, everything is brand new, power cable, manual and the unit itself.
3. the ADL 600 itself looks brand new, and the 4 ear rack holes are also brand new, no scratches thru them. Basically the unit is brand new.

The unit is built like a tank, and in real life, it looks much better than on any picture(s) that I have looked at before. The switches are all stepped, except for the Trim, which I understand the reason for making very small adjustment.

The sound is powerful, and I am comparing to my ISA 430. The ADL 600 has more power than the ISA 430 with compressor on and makeup gain adjusted upward.

It sounds almost like the ISA 430, except that I can hear the tube effect that makes it saturated.

So far, I have just used with an SM57, since I received it late last evening by UPS. I will try it in a few days when recording a female singer, on my Sony C800G. If it gets rid of some of the sibilance, then I rest my case.

All after all, it was a heck of a deal, $849 net for this machine. Incredible.

Thanks again Cathedral G. Without your alert, none of this would have happened. Thank you.

dan
Old 15th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
I understand that Forssell designed it for ADL, and Presonus saw a prototype at a trade show and negotiated a manufacturing deal w/ADL -- probably not knowing who the actual designer was. It only became common knowledge that it is a Forssell design when it appeared on the Forssell website some years after it had been in production.
I've never heard that. Are you sure about that. Anthony De Maria is not a big gear manufacturer and designs lots of gear, why wouldn't he design the ADL 600? And if Fred Forsell did it why didn't he make a deal with Presonus?
I do agree it's a lovely pre. I've had one pretty much since they came out, and I have some ISA 110's Some API's some Dakings, a Fink CS2FA and the ADL is ALWAYS the pre on the vocal. I also use it for the DI and I use the line inputs to print my VI's
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have one. Sounds killer on AG and vocals. Haven't used it on much else but I would imagine it would work well.

I have also ran mixes through it to add a little grit with mixed results depending more on the material vs the 600.
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well, you can see it listed here on the Forssell website:
<forsselltech.com>

Also, it is mentioned in more detail in this interview:

"After many years of taking the transformerless approach, I decided to design and build a mic preamp that used modern, good quality transformers for the input and output sections. I used that design approach with a vacuum tube opamp that I designed for a product for Anthony DeMaria Labs. That design became the Presonus ADL 600. But, that is the only transformer coupled mic preamp that I’ve done in the last 30 years."
<Forssell Technologies SMP-500>

Also, my understanding is that ADL has hired out the design of a lot of his gear. I know Forssell is not the only guy who has designed for ADL.

Last edited by Cathedral Guitar; 15th July 2015 at 01:56 AM..
πŸ“ Reply