The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on Presonus ADL 600
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
  #211
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Yeah just don't use the compressor or eq, I had a 700 for a while and they were a big disappointment.
Yeah - the EQ and Compressor are on permanent BYPASS.

But the preamp is great. Since this post I've used the preamp a lot.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #212
Gear Maniac
Whaaaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Yeah just don't use the compressor or eq, I had a 700 for a while and they were a big disappointment.
I think you’re crazy. Possibly a bad unit, but most probably crazy
Old 4 weeks ago
  #213
Lives for gear
 
andyfreeman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Nice to see this thread pop up again.

The ADL600 is a total sleeper unit at this point. I got one for incredibly cheap as a lark, then started using it - WOW!

The 600 is just as much of a legit choice as my 1073’s and all my vintage API. It doesn’t sound like a “step down” in the face of those classic units. I was surprised but, well, there it is. This thing sounds huge!

Get one before prices skyrocket!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #214
Quote:
Originally Posted by christube View Post
I think you’re crazy. Possibly a bad unit, but most probably crazy
Crazy like a fox, the pre is great designed by Fred Forsell, the eq and the compressor designed by a presonus guy. Look around at what others have said show me how many times someone thought it's a great compressor.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #215
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
The tube section was designed by Anthony De Maria.

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #216
Lives for gear
 
Cathedral Guitar's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Fred Forssell designed the ADL600 for Anthony. It was never in the press clippings, so most people did not know this. If you go to the FORSSELL website, you can see that Fred has it listed as one of his designs:

https://www.forsselltech.com/#!/design
Old 4 weeks ago
  #217
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks for that.

The great man has also clarified this in a PM.

Actually nice that he is on GS .

Perhaps we can get him on here in a Q &A and receive his wisdom
or if he has any products in the can.

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #218
Lives for gear
 
MRSEED's Avatar
 
I have a DW Fearn VT1, at one point I wanted to expand my channel count of tube preamps. I picked up a ADL 600 for bonkers cheap, like £400 or something nuts.

it was super chunky, heavy, bullet proof feeling. I looked inside, nice transformers and a load of Wima caps etc, a classy build! it also had loads of impedance options etc etc. but, I didn't keep it! My problem is I'd been spoilt by the DW Fearn, which made vocals easily sound twice the size of the ADL 600. the 600 to me sounded closer to regular solid state preamps I already had compared to the Fearn - so I just sold it for a profit and invested the money elsewhere.

Great for the price though!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #219
Gear Maniac
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
Nice to see this thread pop up again.

The ADL600 is a total sleeper unit at this point. I got one for incredibly cheap as a lark, then started using it - WOW!

The 600 is just as much of a legit choice as my 1073’s and all my vintage API. It doesn’t sound like a “step down” in the face of those classic units. I was surprised but, well, there it is. This thing sounds huge!

Get one before prices skyrocket!
I fully agree. Finally someone talking some sense/truths
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #220
Gear Maniac
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
I have a DW Fearn VT1, at one point I wanted to expand my channel count of tube preamps. I picked up a ADL 600 for bonkers cheap, like £400 or something nuts.

it was super chunky, heavy, bullet proof feeling. I looked inside, nice transformers and a load of Wima caps etc, a classy build! it also had loads of impedance options etc etc. but, I didn't keep it! My problem is I'd been spoilt by the DW Fearn, which made vocals easily sound twice the size of the ADL 600. the 600 to me sounded closer to regular solid state preamps I already had compared to the Fearn - so I just sold it for a profit and invested the money elsewhere.

Great for the price though!
I’d have to hear files to believe what you’re sayin. We did a tube mixbus shootout of over a dozen different units (it’s here on Slutz), and the ADL had a, what seemed to be, extended bottom which made it sound fatter compared to Pultec, Manley, Summit, etc etc. I can’t imagine anything sounding twice the size it already sounds fat as. Guess I’d have to hear the Fearn
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #221
Lives for gear
 
MRSEED's Avatar
 
It was years ago so I doubt i’d have the files. To me personally on vocals it was a night and day comparison, but the Fearn is many times the price so doesn’t really reflect that badly on the ADL.

At the time i found tge ADL really similar to a Neve clone i had. The ADM was half the price so no small compliment.

I didn’t think to try it as a line amp at the time, shame, might have made me keep it!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 78 views: 17576
Avatar for pcbiz
pcbiz 26th July 2016
replies: 69 views: 22752
Avatar for shatz
shatz 4th June 2016
replies: 174 views: 19592
Avatar for Ryan Gregory
Ryan Gregory 14th February 2012
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump