The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The magic vintage "Akg c12"?? What was Dave Matthews Vocal Chain for album "Everyday"
Old 6th July 2015
Here for the gear

The magic vintage "Akg c12"?? What was Dave Matthews Vocal Chain for album "Everyday"

I know Dave Matthews worked with Glen Ballard and even co-wrote the album "Everyday" with him. Of all of Dave's records I really feel like this one has the best vocal sound for Dave. I once read an article that talked about the making of this record in Mix or Eq in years past but I couldn't seem to find the article anywhere online today. Does anyone know what the vocal chain for this record might have been. I know that Glen was known for using his "magic" vintage Akg c12 on all of his smash hits with Alanis Morrisette. Did he use that on Dave? It sure sounds like it! It's just such an honest, open sound, but it has great presence too...
Old 8th July 2015
Here for the gear

I realized this is a rather specific question, but some tech out there must know? Who has worked on Glen Ballard's gear? Anybody? His seems to be some of the best sounding, best kept vintage stuff.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Dave uses a vintage Elam 251 there is videos on youtube
Old 8th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Mixwell View Post
Dave uses a vintage Elam 251 there is videos on youtube
I'm quite certain that while working with Glen Ballard, Dave Matthews used Glen's favorite "magic" vintage Akg C12. I'm just trying to find out more info about the chain used or if anyone knows who has worked on Glen Ballard's microphones as that would probably yield a lot of good info.

Dave has made a ton of records but "Everyday" to me is his best vocal by far, and it starts with that great vintage Akg C12 mic.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Glen Ballard
Old 11th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Once again, does anybody know any of the engineers or techs that have worked with Glen Ballard over the years? I'm sure they could answer some of these questions about his amazing "magic" vintage AKG C12...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search