The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
From inside your computer to your ears. What's your signal flow?
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

From inside your computer to your ears. What's your signal flow?

So, I am going to be in the market for a house next year (making this a bit premature; so sue me! ) and will at that point build a studio proper. Yeah, I could have waited to post this, but I am curious now, so...

Currently, the op of my soundcard feeds a small mixer, which in turn feeds my monitors. For you guys who work primarily ITB, and do not use a console, what's your signal flow, and how do you get the sound from your computer to your monitors? Do you use hi-end converters? Do the converters feed a power amp? If so, which one(s)? Are your monitors fed from a power amp (or 2, one for each monitor)? What do you use for room volume (ex: Avocet)? How is it wired into your setup?

Just looking to see what others do, and what high end solutions are out there.

Cheers.

Last edited by Jeff Hayat; 6th July 2015 at 04:43 AM..
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Bumping for a 2015 kind of answer.
Old 6th July 2015
I do mix through my desk but I have a monitor path straight from protools so:

PTHD > Lynx Aurora > AES to Avocet > monitors (ATC SCM110 ASL with remote ATC power amps; PSI A17 (with built in amps); Avantone Mixcubes (built in amps))

BUT before it reaches my ears the signal then goes into my control room (which has the capacity to screw up your mix more than any other piece of gear). I took the liberty of having mine designed by Northward Acoustics to avoid such problems.

(The serious point here is to involve someone who knows what they are doing. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes and the cost is not as much as you might expect.)
Old 6th July 2015
I have a console in the studio, but I don't mix through it - need to recall too quickly and switch between projects.

I run PT HD -> Avid IO -> external input of Neve VR -> ATC Mains/Genelec 1032s/NS10s via Bryston.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
AES to Avocet
AES?
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Avid IO -> external input of Neve VR -> ATC Mains/Genelec 1032s/NS10s via Bryston.
What does the VR feed that powers the monitors?
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Code:
DAW - RME HDSPe MADI FX - AES	- Avocet - Monitors (Sonodyne SRP800)
			- MADI	- Madison 16CH MADI converters (for hardware integration)
I monitor AES while mixing and I monitor the analogue return from the summing mixer before it is sent back ITB via the Madison.

Last edited by zigziglar; 7th July 2015 at 04:45 AM..
Old 7th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
What does the VR feed that powers the monitors?
well, the VR has a monitor section....volume/dim/cut etc.

The ATCs have their own dedicated matched amp.

Genelecs are self-powered monitors like all Gennys.

NS10s are on a Bryston as I said
Old 7th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Thanks guys!

AES?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES3
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Addict

....it's all itb end of the day, is'nt it...?

i mean even the most purist guys that record with hi end mics and top notch pre amps, recording, mixing, summing on true consoles, even getting fizzy with real analog mastering, end up with nothing but a file in code.....

the computer and it's direct attached interface converters is THE door where sound enters the air we breathe and makes it shake, so that we finally and actually can hear something....

the purer and directer and plainer and essential it gets here, the better....simple as that....

my chain is a main out stereo signal via really good cables, coming from the attached interface straight to a plain and simple monitor controler feeding three pairs of monitor setups....

so there is....
a mixer and sub mixer, bus, pre amp, direct in, virtual instruments, audio recordings, daw/dsp interface software mixer situation coming from the audio interface....
in my case metric halo....back out straight from there to main controler ins, end of the day....but i have a analog sum of the the mess on a second input of the monitor controler...so there is an option to leave the computer off...

- metric halo converters....never heard such an immediate difference in quality, coming from my old presonus that day....
....and must admit, under circumstances i don't get/hear the difference between an lossless and a codec file right away...
i can fool myself sometimes even if it comes to 96k broadcast compared directly to 320kbits...well, as said, under circumstances...but hearing that converters first time opened my eyes, er, ears....

- real hi end perfectly suited in lenght xlr cables

- monitor controler drawmer mc2.1....i always needed a dedicated volume knob/signalswitch and can't believe some don't ....doin' it via software mouse/usb controler something solution....really...would freak me out...i would never get in touch with my levels and where it's at right now at any given production situation....
and this monitor controler does the best job of all here, if we're not talking about investing another xtra fortune....

-channeling/splitting leveling from here straight to all monitor direct ins via it's dedicated outputs....each with real good, perfectly suited xlr cables again.....

...monitoring is nearfield neumann kh 120
some freaky costumized mid field speakers a nerd builts in small series....
and an average midsize 2.1 pa with sub for real punch fun....

all active systems though....never final mixing with any subs....

Last edited by reeloy; 7th July 2015 at 09:29 AM..
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Addict

Howdy..

Computer- Apogee Symphony- Dangerous Monitor ST- Bryston 4B- Dynaudio BN15. (2nd monitors Yamaha P2200-NS10s).

From looking at your setup, Better DAC and a dedicated monitor controller would make life just that little bit better.

What mixer are you using for monitoring atm? How you going in and out of that mixer?

Cheers
Dave
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

For me it's computer>spdif out of interface>KRK Ergo>Sonodynes with Sub.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Oh, that AES. DUH!

Thanks for the other replies. Keep 'em comin'!
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Coming out of Pro Tools I have an RME RAYDAT feeding iZ RADAR D/A's going out to a Neve 54 series console and some analog outboard gear. The stereo buss of the Neve desk feeds a stereo compressor and/or an ATR 102 1/4" deck which goes back into 2 channels of the RADAR A/D to capture the mix and print it back into the Pro Tools session on a stereo track.

To monitor that while mixing, I have a pair of RADAR D/A's connected to a 2 track return on the Neve.

The monitor outputs of the Neve then feed a pair of SE Eggs or Auratones as well as a headphone amp. For headphone listening I prefer Shure SRH 840's.

The ATR 102 has a mono speaker in it as well, so when I am mixing through the tape deck I can listen to that for something even more lo fi than the Auratones.
Old 7th July 2015
Pro tools HD>Apogee Symphony IO>Dangerous Monitor ST>Focal Solo6b/NS10's(p2200)/Avantone Mixcubes/KRK SUB.
Old 7th July 2015
Pro Tools HD>SSL MADI AX to Avocet>Bryston SST4B>Wenger ALS 1104's (or Westlake BBSM-10's or small mono speaker on a Studer). I have 6 additional outputs SSL>A Designs ATTY'D > additional Bryston SSTs > Additional Wengers + my sub.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Such much Avocet love and much deserved. Every email I've sent them has been replied to within 24 hours with all questions answered. We wired up a custom AUX cable in order to connect meters such that they monitor the selected source. Took me a while to get my head around a couple of things, but they were very helpful. Also, I think every one secretly wants to pretend they're piloting a rocket ship in the 50's - at least I do haha The remote has a distinct retro flavour to it!
Old 8th July 2015
Maxed out MacBook Pro ( max RAM, SSDs, etc... ) -->
Hilo converter with loop back set up --->
Future Retro mastering console:
INSERTS: Zener Limiter, Curve Bender, 500. Series rack (API Filters, 1073lb, tK blend, smart comp), dangerous compressor, super15 vulture.
---->
Tg2 for tranny sound with atty2d
<---->
Monitor main outs on Hilo ----> grace m905
---> Genelec triple play digital 2.1, mix cubes, KRK V8mkii and rp10s (just to be obnoxious).

Still stuck with my older MPB and 828x for the synths, drum machines, fun stuff. May upgrade that setup soon.
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Maxed out MacBook Pro ( max RAM, SSDs, etc... ) -->
Hilo converter with loop back set up --->
Future Retro mastering console:
INSERTS: Zener Limiter, Curve Bender, 500. Series rack (API Filters, 1073lb, tK blend, smart comp), dangerous compressor, super15 vulture.
---->
Tg2 for tranny sound with atty2d
<---->
Monitor main outs on Hilo ----> grace m905
---> Genelec triple play digital 2.1, mix cubes, KRK V8mkii and rp10s (just to be obnoxious).

Still stuck with my older MPB and 828x for the synths, drum machines, fun stuff. May upgrade that setup soon.
Nice rig, mate, but I think you might need some Shadow Hills gear in there to polish off the future retro look. Unless your version of the future doesn't involve a nuclear fallout ...
Old 8th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
Nice rig, mate, but I think you might need some Shadow Hills gear in there to polish off the future retro look. Unless your version of the future doesn't involve a nuclear fallout ...
I was lucky to pick up the FR for $1500, when Jared was dumping them on eBay. Great quality and suits my needs perfectly. Talked with Jared on the tele... it was a top notch product that just didn't get picked up by retailers because they were already carrying the dangerous and manley stuff. Too bad, cause Jared is an exemplary guy who makes quality products.

Shadow Hills... mmmm
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

UA Apollo here
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

I put together this signal flow for my setup at home. It just the den in the middle of the house that has been treated with GIK panels.

I don't have the mix cube yet. That is planned for next year. I would like to add a Bricasti and an Eventide unit to leverage the digital i/o on the Lynx.
Attached Thumbnails
From inside your computer to your ears. What's your signal flow?-studio-flow.jpg   From inside your computer to your ears. What's your signal flow?-01.jpg  
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mworkman View Post
I put together this signal flow for my setup at home. It just the den in the middle of the house that has been treated with GIK panels.

I don't have the mix cube yet. That is planned for next year. I would like to add a Bricasti and an Eventide unit to leverage the digital i/o on the Lynx.
Great signal flow diagram!
Old 9th July 2015
At my studio its: computer > Midas Venice F32 (yes I use it for its converters) > Harrison TV3 Console > Yamaha HS 80's / Mixcubes
Old 9th July 2015
Here for the gear

Nothing too fancy here; I'm very specialized to do LP to CD (2 channel) transcription and remastering, often for commercial release. Once I get the transcription ITB it stays ITB, and keep it clean & keep it simple has been my motto. All connections to my DAW are via Toslink which effectively keeps the computer electrically isolated from the rest of the system. (Everything is powered by balanced AC except the computer.) Computer I/O is handled through an RME Hammerfall card, but ADC/DAC is done externally with Mytek Stereo96 units. The Mytek Stereo96 DAC has an output volume pot which is all that is needed for monitoring. So the signal flow from the DAW is thus: DAW via Toslink to the Mytek DAC and then by XLR directly to a Focal CMS SUB and the PSI A-21 (active) monitors. Sweet.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search