The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High End Facilities Pt. II: Consoles
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Head

High End Facilities Pt. II: Consoles

Thanks again to everyone who participated in my previous post. Now onto consoles....

Assuming we have a Neve 88rs in Studio 1, what console or control surface would you most like to see in Studio 2? and why?

Happy 4th of July to all of you Yankees!
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

Are you in charge?
I find it crazy that you're asking these questions on a forum before investing hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Surely you've experienced control surfaces and have your preference (or your engineer's) for workflow?
Or you could afford a consultant?
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

One that works. Not kidding or trying to be funny.
Old 4th July 2015
A console you can still get parts for?
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Head

Yes, the availability of spare parts is mandatory.

-Thank you
Old 4th July 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
The thing I see the most is usually NEVE in one room and SSL in another.
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwm View Post
Assuming we have a Neve 88rs in Studio 1, what console or control surface would you most like to see in Studio 2? and why?
I'd like to see a console that the facility could afford over the long term, so that they would stay in business for the long term.

Are you actually buying this stuff or is this a wish list?
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

ssl g+

The better and imvho smarter business move for mixing will be a G+. Look for a 64 or so. It will serve you well and still attracts clients. Also you know have the neve/ssl thing for marketing which can help. Best of luck.
Old 4th July 2015
More cowbell!

Depends. I know several studios that have A as a tracking space, B as a mix space, and C as a writing and project space. Some of those studios have Neve desks in A, SSL in B (mix), and something like an API 1608 in C for writing and small projects. So if your B is intended to be a mix room that's one thing, if a writing/project space, that's another.
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks again to everyone who participated in my previous post. Now onto consoles....

Fwiw I agree with Natpub above..

Of course depends on personal preference but instead of an 88rs I'd love to have an original neve.. 80xx series.. or at least a 53xx series.. of course these are different desks (with very different workflows than the 88rs). Or even an API..

An SSL in the other room is a pretty safe choice.

Depending on how many rooms an what do you intend to use them, I'd look at the usual suspects.. original neves, Api , SSL..another console that I like is the MCI 600 series, but as EVERY (old) console needs to be a refurbished one.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:

Gotta say, I think your thinking is entirely the wrong way around on this. In line with my last post on diversification, first you've got to think what your business plan is. Only then can you decide what gear to get to fit with that business plan.

Take my business plan for example. I decided that what the market near me was really lacking was an amazing environment for recording drums. That idea led me to realise that the key element then was rooms with amazing acoustics. I then thought what desk would best fit that business plan. So it had to be API or Neve. As I live in the UK and there are lots of Neves but very few APIs, that was the route I went in the first instance. It was only later that I realised that having a hybrid API/Neve console would give me something extra. That then led me onto... Anyway, you get the idea. But the key is that if the gap in the market was for post production, my set up would have been entirely different.

So work out what who your market is and who your customers will be, that will lead to your business plan, that will lead to your gear.
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

If it's for recording and everything else is in place (room, instruments, mics, staff etc..)

The most obvious to me is Lugo's 56 channel SSL G+ plus a vintage
Neve BCM 10 with vintage Neve pres for recording.
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Gotta say, I think your thinking is entirely the wrong way around on this. In line with my last post on diversification, first you've got to think what your business plan is. Only then can you decide what gear to get to fit with that business plan.

Take my business plan for example. I decided that what the market near me was really lacking was an amazing environment for recording drums. That idea led me to realise that the key element then was rooms with amazing acoustics. I then thought what desk would best fit that business plan. So it had to be API or Neve. As I live in the UK and there are lots of Neves but very few APIs, that was the route I went in the first instance. It was only later that I realised that having a hybrid API/Neve console would give me something extra. That then led me onto... Anyway, you get the idea. But the key is that if the gap in the market was for post production, my set up would have been entirely different.

So work out what who your market is and who your customers will be, that will lead to your business plan, that will lead to your gear.
Exactly this.
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
If it's for recording and everything else is in place (room, instruments, mics, staff etc..)

The most obvious to me is Lugo's 56 channel SSL G+ plus a vintage
Neve BCM 10 with vintage Neve pres for recording.
The Lugo console is for sale, he's moving to Nashville and abandoning the LFC.
Old 6th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The Lugo console is for sale, he's moving to Nashville and abandoning the LFC.
I think that was his point!
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear
Something that earns money! i.e. not just music related - so A-for-V ITB, 7.1 or Atmos with video and film editing and ADR.

In other words no console! Just a monitor controller and some pres and the massive workstation that can run anything - inc. 4K editing. Think 20-core minimum!
Old 6th July 2015
It would take 15 i7's to match the data processing I now have in my Bricasti M7. I don't want to ruin that so I mix analog. Until a computer can keep up with the M7, they are still toys.
Old 7th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It would take 15 i7's to match the data processing I now have in my Bricasti M7. I don't want to ruin that so I mix analog. Until a computer can keep up with the M7, they are still toys.
Whilst I'm not knocking the brilliance of the m7, there's plenty of people making amazing, high selling records with these so-called "toys".

Lorde's "Royals" for example - great use of space and ambience (helped by the arrangement) - all ITB.

As someone else once said on here "just because it doesn't work for you - doesn't mean it sucks".
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

There's no way to know how to answer without knowing what business you're doing. Is it scoring? VO? Urban? Live bands?

The Neve 88, while satisfying the "Neve and SSL" thing technically does work, but the common thing is the Neve to be an older 80 series which is meant to track on and then the SSL is there to mix. But this is a holdover idea from a different time (IMHO) which is going to be a non-issue in todays world.

Lastly, if you have to ask an online forum (as opposed to working engineers, producers, and labels you know) what console to buy, you probably shouldn't be opening a studio.

Last edited by ohgee; 8th July 2015 at 07:47 PM..
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear
Homework?
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Homework?
Most likely
Old 7th July 2015
Motown legend

Indeed it's whatever your client prefers and you'll need a second one for parts if it's any sort of "classic" console. I would probably get a brand new API if that's acceptable to my clients. As I posted in the other thread, the location, staff and lounge are all far more important than the console.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search