The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pearlman TM1 Users Condenser Microphones
Old 4th July 2015
  #1
Pearlman TM1 Users

I recently got a TM1 and used it on a few sessions. While the mic is great, I feel like it does not handle vocal dynamics very well. I'm not talking about loud rock singers either. I have spoken with Dave about it and we're gonna pad the capsule's output to see if that helps. But has anyone else had a similar experience with this?
Old 4th July 2015
  #2
Deleted User
Guest
No issue like that here. I have one of the older black ones, EF12 tube in it. Love the sound
Old 4th July 2015
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
No issue like that here. I have one of the older black ones, EF12 tube in it. Love the sound

May be the tube? Mine has an RFT EF80. Would an EF12 fit into the newer ones?
Old 4th July 2015
  #4
Deleted User
Guest
That I dont know, youd have to ask Dave. I told him my voice was a cross between Richard Marx and Dennis DeYoung( Thin voice) so he recommended that tube
Old 4th July 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Love my TM-1. Haven't run into any issues like you describe. What are the symptoms of it not handling things well? My guess would be its pre amp distortion because my TM-1 handles dynamics/ loud signals very well.
Old 4th July 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
brianellefson's Avatar
definitely sounds like something isn't right. Ive used one of his TM-1s and it wasn't like that. I own one of his TM-47s and it's an incredible mic.
Old 4th July 2015
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanlon View Post
Love my TM-1. Haven't run into any issues like you describe. What are the symptoms of it not handling things well? My guess would be its pre amp distortion because my TM-1 handles dynamics/ loud signals very well.
Distortion in the 2-5k range, the low end dissappearing, sharp glassy sounding peak around 13k. Not sure if this is also common but my TM1 is very sensitive to transients. Weird thing is, this is the 2nd TM1 I've used. 1st one had a bad tube and Dave being the nice guy he is just built a brand new mic. I had similar issues with the 1st one as well.

I doubt it's the pre since the levels look good on my meters.
Old 4th July 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Distortion in the 2-5k range, the low end dissappearing, sharp glassy sounding peak around 13k. Not sure if this is also common but my TM1 is very sensitive to transients. Weird thing is, this is the 2nd TM1 I've used. 1st one had a bad tube and Dave being the nice guy he is just built a brand new mic. I had similar issues with the 1st one as well.

I doubt it's the pre since the levels look good on my meters.
I would still suspect the tube. Prices on the Telefunken EF12's have been rising, and Dave switched to mostly using the less expensive RFT brand a couple of years ago. Dave swears that they are similar to the Tele's (which good ones are), but my experience has been that the quality control on the RFT's is horrible. I bought several Telefunken EF12's, so My TM-47 should be more than set for life given some of these tubes can last 25-50 years. I went through enough of the RFT's to know that I simply can't trust them.
Old 4th July 2015
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I would still suspect the tube. Prices on the Telefunken EF12's have been rising, and Dave switched to mostly using the less expensive RFT brand a couple of years ago. Dave swears that they are similar to the Tele's (which good ones are), but my experience has been that the quality control on the RFT's is horrible. I bought several Telefunken EF12's, so My TM-47 should be more than set for life given some of these tubes can last 25-50 years. I went through enough of the RFT's to know that I simply can't trust them.
Ive seen some EF12s on eBay for $70-$80 which I definitely don't mind paying or even buying extras.

Dave also gave me a GE EF184 which sounds a bit thinner than the RFT EF80.

Would you happen to have any audio I can listen to? I'd like to hear the difference an EF12 can make.
Old 4th July 2015
  #10
Gear Addict
 
rob61's Avatar
 

Not sure what the difference would be between an EF-12 and an EF-14, but I've got one of the early black TM-1 with Dave's more recent capsule upgrades and a Telefunken EF-14. It sounds great. By the way, Dave is great with his products and customer support. If you want to hear an example of my early black TM-1 with an EF-14, I have a youtube video of clients. The acoustic guitar and vocals were all done with the Pearlman TM-1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGUEMLXojsk
Old 5th July 2015
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
Not sure what the difference would be between an EF-12 and an EF-14, but I've got one of the early black TM-1 with Dave's more recent capsule upgrades and a Telefunken EF-14. It sounds great. By the way, Dave is great with his products and customer support. If you want to hear an example of my early black TM-1 with an EF-14, I have a youtube video of clients. The acoustic guitar and vocals were all done with the Pearlman TM-1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGUEMLXojsk
Man, that sounds damn good! My TM-1 is a bit different. Definitely not as smooth in the mid range. May I ask pre amp you're using and if there is any eq or further processing?

Also noticed you've got a picture of a TM47. How much of a difference is there between that and the TM1?
Old 5th July 2015
  #12
Gear Addict
 
rob61's Avatar
 

It was over a year ago, so not too sure what I used. I'm thinking it was my AML EZ1073 run flat. I did add some compression on the way out. The mic itself was the early TM-1, Dave didn't offer the TM-47 then. I did have him upgrade the capsule to his newer K47 capsule that I think he uses now even in the TM-1. Its a very good sounding mic.
Old 6th July 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
James Lugo has the dynamics of a jet engine and the TM-1 held up fine with him.

Old 6th July 2015
  #14
I watched this video before I went with the TM1. I thought the same thing, if it can handle James then I shouldn't have any issues.

I honestly think it's a tube issue. Which happens when dealing with NOS or just tubes in general. The capsule itself is damn good and definitely no crap parts anywhere in that mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
James Lugo has the dynamics of a jet engine and the TM-1 held up fine with him.

Old 6th July 2015
  #15
My TM1 was doing weird, microphonic tube stuff. Dave sent me a couple of NOS RCA EF183 and it's been a dream ever since. Nothing peaky or harsh about it, huge amounts of low-end, smooth as silk.
Old 30th May 2016
  #16
Gear Head
 

Has anybody every had an issue where the body or headbasket on the tm1 produced a ringing tone? Ive gotten 2 different tubes from Dave as he thought it was microphonic and the issue doesn't go away. Ive tried using it outside of the booth just in case it was something in there but no luck. I just placed the 2nd tube a week ago so I cant imagine it would go that quickly!
Old 30th May 2016
  #17
definitely not had the problem of the mic not handling dynamics well. I've even used it on a saxophone and it was fine. It's a hot mic, maybe your pre isn't handling it well despite what your meter says.
Old 30th May 2016
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaces6 View Post
Has anybody every had an issue where the body or headbasket on the tm1 produced a ringing tone? Ive gotten 2 different tubes from Dave as he thought it was microphonic and the issue doesn't go away.
Nope -- but both of mine have the old black bodies. You have the newer style?
Old 30th May 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
I get a short rining tone when I toggle either of the switches on the mic, which I've never heard from any other tube mic I've owned...but not while recording.
L.
Old 30th May 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaces6 View Post
Has anybody every had an issue where the body or headbasket on the tm1 produced a ringing tone?
Never had that problem, even when recording screaming rock singers as well as close miked opera singers.
Old 30th May 2016
  #21
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
I get a short rining tone when I toggle either of the switches on the mic, which I've never heard from any other tube mic I've owned...but not while recording.
L.
Its that same sound but whenever the artist gets real loud or sometimes on plosives.
Old 30th May 2016
  #22
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Nope -- but both of mine have the old black bodies. You have the newer style?
It must be the newer body as mine is that bluish grey color. When i flick the body its the same frequency as the ring I get in the vocals. most of the time its not really noticeable unless solo'd. Ill try to post an example soon after the session im in right now.
Old 30th May 2016
  #23
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
Never had that problem, even when recording screaming rock singers as well as close miked opera singers.
Do you use a tracking compressor?
Old 30th May 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaces6 View Post
Do you use a tracking compressor?
I always do when I am tracking to analog tape. I got back and forth depending on work flows when I am tacking to 24bit digital.
Old 30th May 2016
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaces6 View Post
Do you use a tracking compressor?
Pretty much always for vocals, except classical/opera. Just a little to rein things things in a tad.
Old 31st May 2016
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaces6 View Post
It must be the newer body as mine is that bluish grey color. When i flick the body its the same frequency as the ring I get in the vocals. most of the time its not really noticeable unless solo'd. Ill try to post an example soon after the session im in right now.
I have the newer version, mine doesn't do that
Old 31st May 2016
  #27
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Microphonics ?? does it do it if you tap lightly on the body ??
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump