The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chandler TG1 versus Retro Powerstrip
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Chandler TG1 versus Retro Powerstrip

Finalizing my studio build and wiring and deciding between final pieces for busses during mixdown. I am doing a modified Brauer approach with 4 stereo busses and the 2 bus.

So far I am doing these bus combos (normalled but can be switched around easily through patchbays):

Thermionic Phoenix / A Designs Hammer
(2) Retro Powerstrips
Charter Oak SCL1 / PEQ1
API 2500 / Daking eq's

I am leaning towards a Chandler TG1 for the last bus (would have to purchase). My question is if it is too similar to the Retro Powerstrip (RS124) given that it is based on the TG12413?

Another I am considering purchasing is the BAE 10dc or a pair of Kush Tweakers, and I already have other options such as the Joe Meek SC2, Overstayer VCA, modded Urei BL40's (switchable between an LA3A and close to an 1178) and Allison Research Gain Brains (fet discreet).

This bus will normally be drums/bass or guitars. I mostly do indie rock, lo fi, soul, shoegaze, psychedelic, electro pop type stuff.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

I don't think the TG1 and Powerstrip sound much alike. TG1 has a different tone and is more aggressive.
Old 5th July 2015
Those compressors sound absolutely nothing alike
Old 9th July 2015
I own a Zener Limiter, and have never heard the Retro in person. So... take this for what it is worth:

The zener is great on rock Drum bus, samples, vocals, bass, and sometimes on the main bus. It is not the most versatile compressor in the world, and it sounds much classier than the reviews would claim. I bought it thinking it was going to be a filthy grabby tone monster. Not really... just a great vibe and a solid tool.

The studio I work for just pulled the trigger on 2 tweakers. That was the decision after almost a month of arguing about what to purchase. NONE of us regret it. Much more versatile, and much filthier if you want that.

Because of this, I am now saving for two more, as well as 8 channels of electra EQ. Kush makes great stuff.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, good to know the Retro and Chandler's sound different. Think I am going to save and go for 2 Tweakers and the TG1.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search