The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Is More Detailed: Prism ADA-8XR vs Horus Merging DAC?
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
The Merging boxes are stellar particularly when the mic amps are used, because of the optimisation of A/D level and physical proximity. Loopback tests using line inputs are not very indicative.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac

When performig comparisons, using Merging converters with MassCore + Ravenna gives their best as the latter provides better control of the DAW. Even though AES-EBU is top-level, it cannot match MassCore + Ravenna.
Old 20th August 2016
Gear Nut
I suggest some of you guys listen to the recordings that 2L has done.
Old 20th August 2016
Here for the gear

I' ve ADA-8XR and I've heard Merging DAC several times (but not A/B the two) . I still prefer 8XR
Old 20th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR WOO View Post
I suggest some of you guys listen to the recordings that 2L has done.
If that's the set I'm thinking of, I definitely preferred the Merging to the Prism. I found the Merging the most neutral of the bunch, without question.

Like others have said, after a certain point, this stuff is subjective.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting thread. My impression from my hearing the Horus was that it was hard to beat in terms of detail, and I've not heard transfers or files from an AD-2 or ADA8XR that have changed my mind. My own Orpheus does not match it. I might actually like the color of Prism stuff better though, that sweet high end.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

The uploaded photo shows where the Library of Congress has recently swapped a Horus for one of the their ADA-8 converter units. The picture is one of the audio archiving suites at the Packard NAVCC center in Culpepper VA. They record captured audio from disc and tape into a Pyramix workstation. Was curious what motivated the replacement of the Prism unit. Anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Which Is More Detailed: Prism ADA-8XR vs Horus Merging DAC?-preserving-bbc-disc.jpeg  
Old 20th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpad View Post
The uploaded photo shows where the Library of Congress has recently swapped a Horus for one of the their ADA-8 converter units. The picture is one of the audio archiving suites at the Packard NAVCC center in Culpepper VA. They record captured audio from disc and tape into a Pyramix workstation. Was curious what motivated the replacement of the Prism unit. Anyone know?
Isn't the Prism still there, below the Horus? In fact, isn't there another smaller Prism to the left as well?

What a cool job, getting to re-record all these wonderful, irreplaceable recordings. I wonder what the method is for truly antique media, i.e., wax and paper discs, on the rare chance there are any remaining that haven't already been re-recorded.

Nice turntable as well. Anyone identify it? I stopped paying attention to most hi-fi in the days of Sota Star Saphires, Well Tempered Tables, Oracles, Linns, etc. A mid-range Rega keeps me satisfied at home.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Pieter

The original setup they had was two ADA-8's. One on top of the other. The top one has been removed and replaced with the Horus. The photo is relatively new (a few months old), so I'm guessing that this is a relatively recent change. Their newest archiving suite looks somewhat different and is using a Crookwood monitoring controller instead of the Maselec. They have dCS, Lavry AD122 and the ADA-8XR converters in the new one. The turntables are Simon Yorke transcription specials.

It is a cool job, especially if you enjoy working with and listening to vintage material. The British BSA equivalent is pretty impressive as well. They seem to like Technics turntables, Sadie software and Harbeth Monitor 40 loudspeakers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search