The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Euphonix Converters AM713 and MA703 Digital Converters
Old 2nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Euphonix Converters AM713 and MA703

Anyone got opinions or comparisons on these converters please?

I’m only interested from people who’ve actually heard them.

Converters I own: Apogee (Track 2s) and RME (ADI-8 DS)

Converters I've had experience with: PTHD 192, Prism ADA-8, Radar Classic and Soundscape (their own brand)

Cheers.
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Strangeboy, I have some soundscape converters coming soon and I currently have a trak 2. How big a difference is there, if any, between the 2? How do the soundscapes compare the the other stuff you mentioned? Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
Strangeboy, I have some soundscape converters coming soon and I currently have a trak 2. How big a difference is there, if any, between the 2? How do the soundscapes compare the the other stuff you mentioned? Thanks.
Which ones are you getting?

I actually have some on my Soundscape32 Units. They're pretty good. They sound neutral and plain unlike the apogees that have colour. The apogees are more forward in the midrange. Better on guitars etc. I mixed a whole album with hired in Soundscape converters 3x8 (can't remember the model number) clocked of an apogee and was happy with the results.

The converter that is quite a big jump from all the others I've used is the Prism. It's very clean and open. It's a bit scary really. Almost to hifi at times but amazing none the less.

Hope that helps.
Old 2nd January 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangeboy View Post
Anyone got opinions or comparisons on these converters please?

I’m only interested from people who’ve actually heard them.

Converters I own: Apogee (Track 2s) and RME (ADI-8 DS)

Converters I've had experience with: PTHD 192, Prism ADA-8, Radar Classic and Soundscape (their own brand)

Cheers.
IMHO the Euphonix 703 and 713 are some of THE best converters I have heard. I have the 703 and the 713 and they are now the front end for my Nuendo system (RME MADI card). I also just bought the SSL Alphalink SX (ex Soundscape) 24 channel A/D plus AES to MADI I/O converters, but I didn't have time to do any in-depth testing yet.

How did you like the Soundscape?
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks, it does help. I'll be clocking them off of a big ben so I hope that'll kick them up a notch or back it goes! Neutral and plain I can live with, I've got good mics and pres. Michael, what do those euphonixs converters go for? I checked their web site but no pricing info...I think that means they're out of my range.heh
Old 2nd January 2007
Here for the gear

How did you like the Soundscape?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

As far as Soundscape is concerned I've been using it since 98. As I'm sure you know getting used to system that long it's hard to change. I love it. It's reliable, hardly ever crashes and sounds good. It doesn't have midi or big plugin support but I never use midi and I use outboard instead. My assistant from two years ago liked Nuendo and hated Soundscape. My last assistant liked Protools and hated Sounscape so there you go. I've had to use Protools a few times and though it's fine and it wouldn't bother me use it again I prefer Soundscape.

I'd be interested to know when you've had a chance how the new SSL box sounds.

Anyway Cheers.
Old 2nd January 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
. . . Michael, what do those euphonixs converters go for? I checked their web site but no pricing info...I think that means they're out of my range.heh
They are big $$$s. I think each goes for around $7,500, so that's $15,000 for a complete 24 I/O system. That said, I've seen a complete R-1 system on ebay (including the 713 and 703) for around $5,500.
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Too rich for my blood. Unfortunately. But if I sell that kidney I "found"...
Old 25th October 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
IMHO the Euphonix 703 and 713 are some of THE best converters I have heard. I have the 703 and the 713 and they are now the front end for my Nuendo system (RME MADI card). I also just bought the SSL Alphalink SX (ex Soundscape) 24 channel A/D plus AES to MADI I/O converters, but I didn't have time to do any in-depth testing yet.

How did you like the Soundscape?

Old thread, but worth revisiting.

What are your feelings now that it has been a few years?

Old 25th October 2009
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Old thread, but worth revisiting.

What are your feelings now that it has been a few years?

I had them for 7 years when I wrote the post above, still feel the same.
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

I've been using the Euphonix converters @ E.J's studio for a year now. We used to use them (ITB) with a MCPro and one 8 pak. Nice system intergrated in Nuendo. Sounded great. We now use them with a 48 ch Tonelux Console (OTB). Now they sound even better.
Old 26th October 2009
Deleted User
That's pretty amazing.

The Alphalink went back then? dfegad

Quote:
I had them for 7 years when I wrote the post above, still feel the same.
Old 26th October 2009
We replaced all the Digi 192's to Euphonix converters and an SSL Digi-Madi box. And I have to say the sound is really excellent. Better/smoother/highs, more musical sounding over all. The Neve board "sounds" much better with these converters

I'm also using the converters exclusively in Studio 2 together with the S5 console. And again sound is pretty damn excellent.

Build quality is top notch to.

Highly recommended!

/L
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

We have 4 of these and they are my goto units for all our film sessions.
My only gripe is the fan they added to the later models of the 713 for better stability.
I love the reliability aspect, but it makes it tricky to keep the AD's on stage.

Euphonix support for these is top notch!
Old 27th October 2009
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
That's pretty amazing.

The Alphalink went back then? dfegad
Nope, still have the Alphalink too, sounds great to me.
Old 27th October 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Nope, still have the Alphalink too, sounds great to me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Nearly all of it sounds great at this level doesn't it....?
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

i recently used euphonix convertors for some vocal overdubs and they are cristal clear, in the league of lavry blue series for me, altough i didn't could compare them side by side so this is only an impression from working with them one day.
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkAudio View Post
We have 4 of these and they are my goto units for all our film sessions.
My only gripe is the fan they added to the later models of the 713 for better stability.
I love the reliability aspect, but it makes it tricky to keep the AD's on stage.

Euphonix support for these is top notch!
Can these safely be run with the fan disabled?

Internally it looks as though the fan can be unplugged.
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Can these safely be run with the fan disabled?

Internally it looks as though the fan can be unplugged.
I disabled the fan in one unit. As long as you give them airspace they are fine.
The same goes for Lavry Blues.

I still have an AM713 laying around if someone is looking. We have completely transitioned from madi to network now so my AM713, Grace m802 and millennias are just laying around as backups

Last edited by NetworkAudio; 1st February 2016 at 07:58 AM..
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkAudio View Post
I disabled the fan in one unit. As long as you give them airspace thet are fine.
good to know. thx.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search