The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please upgrade my vocal chain, you have $12k to work with.
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C Johnson View Post
I'm not sure where to get a vintage 87 that can be returned. The ones listed on eBay are all listed in the $3k range and they aren't pristine or anything. VK has a modded one listed for $4100!! prices seem crazy.
Wow!! Are they effing crazy??? Last time I saw, in the GS classifieds they were going for 2k-ish.. even shipping it to Andreas Grosser in Germany and back will cost considerably less than that mic. Don't buy that VK modded u87, I'm sure it's fine but it's really too much for that mic.

At that price point I'd definitely consider other things.. U87 is a rather ordinary sounding condenser.. it's very versatile.. but there are several other mics that are versatile for a fraction of that cost.. check out a tlm170 eventually.. not the same as a U87, but quite versatile if you ask me.. or a Violet Amethyst Vintage (cardioid only), in the GS classifieds there's a fantastic Violet Flamingo for less than half of that u87, or even a Brauner Phantom V or Phantera V..hell even a Valvet X is cheaper than that. Or even a Shoeps V4U.

Check on voxorama website, the M36..but you might find other alternatives..

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 18th July 2015 at 06:45 PM..
Old 19th July 2015
Gear Nut

I just listened to all the recorded samples of the Flea 47 I could find and I must admit I am very impressed!

I'm starting to think a 251e and Flea 47 into the BAE could be a winning combo.
Old 19th July 2015
SEED78
With that kind of budget I would def get a chain for both pop and rock, and not just focus on the big brands.

Pop
JJ Akita with upgraded capsule 1.9k
JJ Audio Akita

1073 clone (lots of affordable ones out there like Revive audio M73 or Seventh Cycle) 1.3k
VINTAGE AUDIO M73, 1073 STYLE DUAL MIC PREAMP, ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Summit Tla100a 1.2k
Please upgrade my vocal chain, you have k to work with.Summit Audio TLA-100A TLA100A TLA 100 A Tube Leveling Amplifier! | eBay

Rock

Barbaric mic varies, different takes on classic mics
Microphones | BARBARIC AMPLIFICATION

Chandler Redd 47 2.3k. Or a old Groove Tubes ViPre
Please upgrade my vocal chain, you have k to work with.Chandler Limited Redd.47 | eBay

Or just use the second channel of the Revive M73 for free!!!

Retro Sta Level? 2.7
Retro Instruments Sta-Level - Vintage King Audio

You could chop and change a combo of the above for either genre - and you'd still have money left over for extra mics in case you have a tricky vocalist or if you want a extra vintage option.
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Nut

Just an update, I ended up getting a demo BAE1032 for the price of a 1023, a Tele ELAM 251E, and a Flea 47 vintage.

The Flea just arrived so I haven't tracked with it yet but I'm working on some mixes right now where we used the 251 and I think it's great.
Attached Thumbnails
Please upgrade my vocal chain, you have k to work with.-image_2093_0.jpg   Please upgrade my vocal chain, you have k to work with.-image_922_1.jpg   Please upgrade my vocal chain, you have k to work with.-image_7905_0.jpg  
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

Nice! Those are some great tools, that will cover a wide range of duties.
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C Johnson View Post
...and a Flea 47 vintage.

The Flea just arrived so I haven't tracked with it yet but I'm working on some mixes right now where we used the 251 and I think it's great.
How did the Flea work out? Did you keep it? I just heard a Flea 47 at a local studio up against the Slate Virtual microphone. I really liked the Flea.
Old 1st July 2016
Any updates to this thread how is the OP liking his purchase? I agonize and research over purchases way smaller
Old 1st July 2016
One of my favorite vocal chains I have recorded with is either a mojave MA-200, or Lauten Atlantis into a Hendyamps Picasso channel strip with preamp/EQ, into an 1176, and then into a distressor.

The two mics will cover a wide variety of genres with the Mojave being very clear and realistic sounding, and with the Lauten having many options to cover more of a "movie like" kind of sound. The hendyamps Picasso channel strip is special because Hendyamps puts their Monet preamp design directly in circuit with their Michelangelo eq. This preamp has to be heard to be believed, it is simply stunning. The 1176 and distressor are simply amazing together on vocals and can cover most vocal needs.
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear
I would try to get a U67 or C800G for 6K
Heratage Audio preamp
I like the purple and la compression combo too.

Or you could go another direction. Get a Lawson, Some Coles, and a groove tube MD1,,,3
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear

Dude.

You don't need any more gear.

What you have is AMAZING for vocals.

You can buy DIFFERENT gear. But I don't think you can make any sort of UPGRADE.

Put your money somewhere else or save it for a better room/studio/console.
Old 31st August 2016
vai
Gear Head
Hi, have you ever tried ma-1000? thank you!
Old 31st August 2016
vai
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon Hook View Post
One of my favorite vocal chains I have recorded with is either a mojave MA-200, or Lauten Atlantis into a Hendyamps Picasso channel strip with preamp/EQ, into an 1176, and then into a distressor.

The two mics will cover a wide variety of genres with the Mojave being very clear and realistic sounding, and with the Lauten having many options to cover more of a "movie like" kind of sound. The hendyamps Picasso channel strip is special because Hendyamps puts their Monet preamp design directly in circuit with their Michelangelo eq. This preamp has to be heard to be believed, it is simply stunning. The 1176 and distressor are simply amazing together on vocals and can cover most vocal needs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search