The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone Using the Prism ADA8-XR? Digital Converters
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Nut

Anyone Using the Prism ADA8-XR?

If so, how's the ADC as for as "true to the analog source."

I heard the HAPI had one of the best ADCs and the Forssell was a close 2nd said one end-user who has them both.

Thanks!
Old 18th June 2015
The Prism is very transparent. I did a shootout of the Prism and Burl Mothership this week.
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Prism is very transparent. I did a shootout of the Prism and Burl Mothership this week.
Oh yeah? You got any wav files posted to AB?

How's the ADC? Is it true to the source?
Old 18th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
Oh yeah? You got any wav files posted to AB?

How's the ADC? Is it true to the source?
No. I'm afraid I don't have wav files.

I didn't hear the source so I don't know. I had stems coming back to an SSL simultaneously from the Mothership and the Prism.

I found the Prism to sound both open and natural. Transients were fast. Details such as reverb tails on snare drum were very evident.

The Burl was a little slower, not quite as detailed on reverb tails, perhaps very slightly mid-scooped. MUCH more 3d. Very reminiscent of tape.

I would happily work with either. They just have a different 'thing'.
Old 18th June 2015
Quote:
No. I'm afraid I don't have wav files.

I didn't hear the source so I don't know. I had stems coming back to an SSL simultaneously from the Mothership and the Prism.

I found the Prism to sound both open and natural. Transients were fast. Details such as reverb tails on snare drum were very evident.

The Burl was a little slower, not quite as detailed on reverb tails, perhaps very slightly mid-scooped. MUCH more 3d. Very reminiscent of tape.

I would happily work with either. They just have a different 'thing'.
Interesting. Thanks. I was recently considering selling my Prism for a Burl but maybe I just need both. When you say 3d, what do you mean exactly, as the reverb tail thing would indicate the depth was lacking? Do you mean bigger and fatter in a transformer type, heavy way?
Old 18th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Interesting. Thanks. I was recently considering selling my Prism for a Burl but maybe I just need both. When you say 3d, what do you mean exactly, as the reverb tail thing would indicate the depth was lacking? Do you mean bigger and fatter in a transformer type, heavy way?
No. There was a real front to back depth with the burl. On the prism that reverb tails were much more clearly discernible but it felt 2d by comparison.
Old 18th June 2015
Quote:
No. There was a real front to back depth with the burl. On the prism that reverb tails were much more clearly discernible but it felt 2d by comparison.
Okay, I'm definitely gonna have to check one for myself now….
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Nut

Does the Burl B2 ADC DAC have the same sound and converters as the BAD4 and BDA8 that go into the Mothership?
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Addict

The Prism is very true to source and handles high input very well

I compared it to the B2 not to long ago and while the B2 added weight to the source the Prism just mirrored the source.
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
Does the Burl B2 ADC DAC have the same sound and converters as the BAD4 and BDA8 that go into the Mothership?
Yes
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
The Prism is very true to source and handles high input very well

I compared it to the B2 not to long ago and while the B2 added weight to the source the Prism just mirrored the source.
Was the B2 as detailed and transparent as the Prism ADA-8XR?

Currently looking into the JCF Latte and the Prism ADA-8XR. However I don't need 8 channels but I hear that the ADA8-XR sounds better than the Orpheus. Isn't the Lyra is a scaled down version of the Orpheus?
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Head
Lyra USB Audio Interface Home Page

I bought Lyra 2 a while ago to replace Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 and haven't looked back since. Transparent and accurate sounding.
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

I used to own the Prism and for its time it was outstanding. There are now a lot of converters out there that are as good or better, far more compact and lower cost.
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Was the B2 as detailed and transparent as the Prism ADA-8XR?

Currently looking into the JCF Latte and the Prism ADA-8XR. However I don't need 8 channels but I hear that the ADA8-XR sounds better than the Orpheus. Isn't the Lyra is a scaled down version of the Orpheus?
The Burl seemed to add some heft to the program more so I noticed it in the low to low mid end of the spectrum
so I wouldn't call that transparent
The detail was quite nice and the overall sound though not true to source was pleasing

the prism is what you put in you get back straight up

recording a drum set through the prism is a wonderful experience

the latte is much more like the prism then the burl
very true to source

Last edited by sdd17; 19th June 2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkAudio View Post
I used to own the Prism and for its time it was outstanding. There are now a lot of converters out there that are as good or better, far more compact and lower cost.
Any favs?
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
the latte is much more like the prism then the burl
very true to source
Cool! The Latte sounds like a great way to go!
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkAudio View Post
Really? What exactly does your website sell?
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Really? What exactly does your website sell?
I sold and replaced my Prisms long before I ever became a dealer.
At the time the replacements included a Mytek 8x192, Euphonix AD and Crookwood AD. These were later replaced by a product I now sell.
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
The Latte's AD Input is incredibly accurate/true to the source but the Mic Preamps/DAC transformer-discrete electronics are highly flattering and very beautiful sounding.

To my ears, using the Latte to Playback a mix from the Computer, it extends the bottom octave and leaves out the harsh high frequency edge that I often find displeasing. So its more about what I am not hearing! BIG Bonus that you can get the same exact tone with your microphones directly to the AD Input.

You can even patch gear between the mic pre/DA/tape-repro and back into the AD input. So this is not only useful for mastering but also getting really cool sounds when recording.

Anyway, that DA is simply one of the best things I have heard coming off the computer. If you are into that sorta thing anyway. You can use the D-M-T section one way at a time. And that is where all the coloration is with the Latte. This section can internally route to the AD converter.

I had a client call me yesterday to comment how "3D" and wide the Latte AD sounded with an acoustic project he was working on. He is using it to capture the Mix back from a Great River MM20 summing mixer. It has broad shoulders and you are never sour when you play the 2-mix back.
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The Latte's AD Input is incredibly accurate/true to the source but the Mic Preamps/DAC transformer-discrete electronics are highly flattering and very beautiful sounding.

To my ears, using the Latte to Playback a mix from the Computer, it extends the bottom octave and leaves out the harsh high frequency edge that I often find displeasing. So its more about what I am not hearing! BIG Bonus that you can get the same exact tone with your microphones directly to the AD Input.

You can even patch gear between the mic pre/DA/tape-repro and back into the AD input. So this is not only useful for mastering but also getting really cool sounds when recording.

Anyway, that DA is simply one of the best things I have heard coming off the computer. If you are into that sorta thing anyway. You can use the D-M-T section one way at a time. And that is where all the coloration is with the Latte. This section can internally route to the AD converter.

I had a client call me yesterday to comment how "3D" and wide the Latte AD sounded with an acoustic project he was working on. He is using it to capture the Mix back from a Great River MM20 summing mixer. It has broad shoulders and you are never sour when you play the 2-mix back.
Very cool Doc! I'm kinda leaning on the Latte for my next upgrade.

I also started a thread on who's using the Latte as their main converters. It would be great to get feed back from other end-users and well.
Old 20th June 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
I would say its arguably THE best converter in production. I think the designer hit on some critical area in the whole digi process that has always been overlooked/ignored, you'll know what I mean when you hear it, because you genuinly cant lol
Old 20th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartHunter View Post
I would say its arguably THE best converter in production. I think the designer hit on some critical area in the whole digi process that has always been overlooked/ignored, you'll know what I mean when you hear it, because you genuinly cant lol
Awesome!

What coverters have you tried?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search