The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DI preamp for bass and e-guitar, API 505, Juggernaut, Langevin DVC?
Old 18th June 2015
Here for the gear

DI preamp for bass and e-guitar, API 505, Juggernaut, Langevin DVC?

I'm (trying to be) a pop-rock composer and producer and own a small studio at home. I had some different stuff in the past, like UA LA 610 (MK 1), Avalon 737 and DAV preamps. One day I found out, by the way I work at home, I did not need so much outboard gear and sold it all (...), except my lovely Focusrite ISA MKII. I use it for everything and I'm pretty happy with it.
But now I'd like to add some specialized gear for tracking bass and e-guitars, since I don't use amps, just software. That's why I'm looking for a good "all rounder" DI preamp.
I've heard good things about the Juggernaut preamp and some 500 series preamps from A Designs for DI recording tasks. But, what's about the API 505? I can't find any review about this DI box. Any experience with it? Would it be a good choice coupled with a DBX 560A in a A Designs HR500 type chassis?
I am especially interested in this combination.
On the other hand I have the chance to get a Langevin DVC in pristine condition for 750 Euros. Would it be a good choice for tracking bass through its DI? And, would this preamp also be a good choice for tracking acoustic guitars with condenser mics?
And... I'm also interested in the new DBX 676. Anybody has played with it?
Would love to hear your thoughts! Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by ONETWOFRITO; 18th June 2015 at 04:38 PM..
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

If you can find an Ampeg SVP-CL grab it (they stopped making them). Otherwise, our go-to is the instrument side of a Demeter VTMP2A. Bass tone is something we've been tweaking for years and this has been tough to beat. I asked Jim Demeter if there was a simpler version of this circuit without the mic side, specifically for bass, and he suggested his HDI. I imagine it's killer.

I'd also suggest spending some time on this site. It offers great demos using several different basses playing different styles and a sh!t-ton of options are included. The Ampeg I mentioned is on there and look out for the Evil Twin. It's legendary in the bass world, though not many are around. I believe the manufacturer only makes them on demand. I checked with him also and his price was $995 at that time. Any of the above options would be top shelf for bass.
Old 18th June 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for your suggestions, elambo. It seems Ampeg SVP-CL are hard to find. There're some Ampeg SVP PRO around... The Demeter HDI-1 Tube Direct Box looks quiet interesting as do the VTBP-201S Tube Bass Preamplifier. I will investigate the Eclair Engineering Evil Twin Tube DI.
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONETWOFRITO View Post
But, what's about the API 505? I can't find any review about this DI box.
Here;

http://apiaudio.com/docs/reviews/rev..._505di_565.pdf
Old 18th June 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you very much API...
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Maniac

The Reddi DI is a great choice for bass you can also put acoustic Gtr and vocals it's got a very cool tone . Using it live is also easy put it in the pa use a monitor and it sounds fat . So you don't even need to bring a cabinet .

Good luck
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Addict

One of my faves for that job is the Great River NV. Has a lot of beef to the signal; some might even go so far to say it has co-johnnies!
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

If all you care about is DI, it's hard to beat the Avalon U5 for a direct box.

I also use a Great River NV, UA 610, and RN Portico's for direct, but for uncolored input for guitar, bass, and keys the Avalon is darn good for 6 bills.
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONETWOFRITO View Post
It seems Ampeg SVP-CL are hard to find.
Yes I know. I've been scouring the net for a 2nd one for a couple years. They pop up on occasion but it's rare. I think people tend to hang onto these. I certainly won't be selling mine, ever.

I'd asked Ampeg if they were ever going to produce a similar product and they said that they were vigorously trying to convince the power that be that they should re-release it. That was 8 years ago so I'm not holding my breath. I know that the SVT8 Pro has the same preamp section but it also comes with an amp which you probably don't need.
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

I own an Avalon U5 and absolutely love it. The tone controls are great. It's very clean and works well with all styles of music and instruments. For a more colored sound, people seem to rave about the A-Designs REDDI around here. It's got tubes and a warmer character whereas the U5 has a more open top end.
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I'd also suggest spending some time on this site. It offers great demos using several different basses playing different styles and a sh!t-ton of options are included. The Ampeg I mentioned is on there and look out for the Evil Twin.
I forgot to post a link to the site I was referring to:

basstasters.com || welcome
Old 20th June 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you all for your comments. I know there are lots of REDDI and U5 fans all over the world. I think the U5 could be a great all rounder. After doing some research I found out there are not many Langevin DVC lovers out there... (anybody has tried it?)
But I'm intrigued by the api 505. This device is a relative newcomer so there's no information nor opinions around, except for the review written by Paul Vnuk Jr as posted by Api Sez...
Although Api is on the colored side compared to Avalon, and one is a 500 series and the other a half rack device, It would be great to read a versus review between the 505 and the U5.
Old 20th June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thanks
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

We've had two Avalons. They're good, clean preamps. Personally, I wouldn't put them on the same level as the Demeter or Ampeg or Evil Twin but they're popular and work well for general duty.
Old 21st June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
We've had two Avalons. They're good, clean preamps. Personally, I wouldn't put them on the same level as the Demeter or Ampeg or Evil Twin but they're popular and work well for general duty.
I've heard several samples from basstasters.com, most of them with Fender MIM 60s Jazz Bass, DAddario strings and Nordstrand pickups. Although these samples are only a kind of "guide", to my ears the best sounding preamps from the above mentioned are the REDDI and the Ampeg SVP-CL. Besides these I like the Manley Tube DI and the (yes!) BBE BMax-T. (Maybe because of the tubes?)
The U5 is ok, but yeah, a bit neutral. Most of the samples have the typical 200-500 Hz mud and some lack in the mid-high frequencies. But as said before, this is just a guide. That's about bass.
As I use to record my e-guitars through an Focusrite preamp, with no precessing, and use soft-guitar-amps-simulators, anybody has obtained good results with any specific DI preamp? Thanx.
Old 22nd June 2015
Lives for gear

I use the DI on the ISA One for electric guitars as it happens, clean signal capture for re-amping/amp sims.
Old 22nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Retrospec Juicebox!
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear Addict

I can't praise the DAV Electronics BG No.9 enough. Extremely underrated Mic-Pre and D.I.!(maybe not expensive enough ;-))
This D.I. is one of the best things you can do to your bass and electric guitar.

D.A.V. electronics - The Broadhurst Gardens No. 9 Mic Amp with D.I.
Old 23rd June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
I use the DI on the ISA One for electric guitars as it happens, clean signal capture for re-amping/amp sims.
I use my ISA 430 for almost everything and I'm very happy with its sound/results. But I'd like to "discover", if it really exists, a specific device to get the best results when tracking bass or guitar through a DI.
Some home studios are becoming very professional in the las times. And I was wondering if any manufacturer, with this in mind, is starting to offer some high quality devices for these specific tasks, in order to get the best results considering the "limitations" of home studios. I mean, I would be cool if there could be a DI device (imagen it in a 500s series format) with some features of a channel strip with a specific electronic circuit for electric bass for home recording, with passive/active switch, low and hi-pass filters, a small eq, a simple comp pot (all these to get to the spot for tracking tasks), with or without tubes or whatever, as well as for e-guitar tracking. The Api 505 has some features that seems to get into this. Thanks for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo1234 View Post
Retrospec Juicebox!
Gonna have a look at this. At first sight it looks to be in the REDDI league. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
I can't praise the DAV Electronics BG No.9 enough. Extremely underrated Mic-Pre and D.I.!(maybe not expensive enough ;-))
This D.I. is one of the best things you can do to your bass and electric guitar.

D.A.V. electronics - The Broadhurst Gardens No. 9 Mic Amp with D.I.
I had a Broadhurst Gardens No.1U in the past, it's a very transparent and nice sounding preamp. I used it a lot for acoustic guitars with condenser mics but didn't like it much for DI. The No.9 seems to be more specific in the DI channel since it has balanced line level output and buffered output. Yes, I agree, DAV devices are very underrated. Thanks for your comment.
Old 23rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thank god there was a "b" in the beginning.
Old 23rd June 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
lol, because of the image...
Old 23rd June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hahaha, witty!

Last edited by ONETWOFRITO; 23rd June 2015 at 03:20 PM..
Old 23rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brings new meaning to the site's catchphrase: "Come check out our tasty licks!"

And hey, no G string jokes, please!
Old 26th July 2015
Here for the gear

I finally grabbed the Langevin DVC and I'm very surprised how good this beast sounds. I think it`s a very very nice box for bass DI, shelving eq is very useful and de limiters are awesome. Tried it also with acoustic guitar and blowed me away. And, it's in mint condition!
Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search