The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good preamp to compliment BAE 1073 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 16th June 2015
Good preamp to compliment BAE 1073

I recently sold my Great River pre hoping the BAE 1073 would have me covered.

Seems like the Great River worked better for rap vox, although loving the BAE on singing vocals. The BAE is a bit too smooth I think not enough texture for the rappers who want that presence in the highs, for that regular hip-hop vocal sound.

Not really a fan of the Avalon either, but did like the Great River, wondering if there would be a more efficient pre option though.

Should I consider: TG2-500, Focusrite ISA/Red?

Mic Locker: Manley Ref C, U87ai, ADK TC-251, Shure SM7

Here's a demo of our first session just going through various gear: https://soundcloud.com/audioninjastu...emo-10/s-gde8A

chain was -> ADK TC-251 -> BAE 1073 -> ADL 1000 (Jim mod) : rough mix -> Hammer -> Brute -> Maag

totally unhappy with it, I really think the pre is the problem.
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear

I seriously doubt your gear is to blame, I would play around with gainstaging and distance from mic. I could be off since I couldn't get your soundcloud to play....
Old 16th June 2015
I'm on the laptop, so didn't listen to your soundcloud. The Aurora GTQ2 may just fit the bill. It's in the realm of the 1073, but more open and/or aggressive in the top end. That said, you could just put a bit of the EQ on the 1073, too. Try a boost at 3.2. Maybe just a hair of high shelf. If that's not doing it, try a tube mic with a bit of bite. 1073 with a Mojave MA200 sounded brilliant with some rap vocals.

You already have some great gear. Sounds like you need something a bit more aggressive mic-wise.

You could always just do a mult and add a bit of exciter to the mult. It'll give you what you're after.
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear
Sounded good to me...thru my phone speakers. Dude got bars too! I'd listen to the above poster.
Old 17th June 2015
Dot
Lives for gear

Listening to your Soundcloud through Lipinski L-70s and Benchmark DAC2. Then switched to APS Klasiks with the extended bass on.

Sounds pretty damn good to me, in terms of balance and presentation.

What about the mix or sound isn't working for you? Are you wanting something more aggressive and "street?" Or something a little more polished?

Last edited by Dot; 17th June 2015 at 02:42 AM..
Old 17th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
Listening to your Soundcloud through Lipinski L-70s and Benchmark DAC2. Then switched to APS Klasisks with the extended bass on.

Sounds pretty damn good to me, in terms of balance and presentation.

What about the mix or sound isn't working for you? Are you wanting something more aggressive and "street?" Or something a little more polished?
More aggressive and "street" would be exactly it. Just recently sold my Avalon/Great River which are definitely not as smooth as the BAE.

At the same time I don't want to go with the Avalon or GR pres...I know this emcee really likes Kendrick's sound, which I heard his vox was recorded through an SSL pre.

So I'm looking into: SH Mono Gama, TG2-500, Pacifica, Europa...also have a buddy who is going to let me borrow his Avedis to try
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear
I don't think the pre is gonna make dude "sound street." With the exception of a select few...the streets is what makes people sound street.
Old 17th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
I don't think the pre is gonna make dude "sound street." With the exception of a select few...the streets is what makes people sound street.
Wow...are you serious? So you don't think a source can be manipulated to be more aggressive or in your face? Like the 610...you don't think the 610 is a bit soft/dark and less up front for a vocal? Not saying the 610 is bad, but it's definitely not a pre I am betting on for this.

And from what I hear in the artists delivery/attitude/charisma in his actual performance, compared to the captured raw recording, I feel I can do a better job. Simple as that. And from meeting with him and our conversation, he is definitely "street."

Some people like to do their best on every project. Otherwise what's to stop him from working with another producer who wants to help him find a better sound?
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear
From a conversation you may be able to determine if he "sounds" street. Newayz...maybe a cleaner pre would do but what you have with adequate eqing, a slight high shelf bump and maybe some aggressive compression should get you an in your face/aggressive sound. A petes place bac would definitely help get you there.
Old 17th June 2015
Gear Nut

Sounds great to me. I cant really hear anything in the recording that i would change...i think what you may be unhappy with is just the rapper himself, or how hes rapping, or just his voice, i mean some people just dont have the right voice and there is nothing to be done about it. Kendrick has a unique voice that i happen to like, and its hard to imagine him all of a sudden sounding bad because someone switched his preamp from an ssl to a bae.
Old 17th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots View Post
Sounds great to me. I cant really hear anything in the recording that i would change...i think what you may be unhappy with is just the rapper himself, or how hes rapping, or just his voice, i mean some people just dont have the right voice and there is nothing to be done about it. Kendrick has a unique voice that i happen to like, and its hard to imagine him all of a sudden sounding bad because someone switched his preamp from an ssl to a bae.
I know what you mean. But from what I hear from his performance/delivery with my own ears, I really think the BAE is a bit too smooth/dark for him. Like Twenty Staxx just said I think a less colored/clean pre may be what he needs...IMO there are a lot of mids in his voice that are not captured in the recording.
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

Something musically 'aggressive' might come with an API series. They make a good EQ too.
Old 17th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Something musically 'aggressive' might come with an API series. They make a good EQ too.
I agree, which is why I was considering maybe a TG2-500 or Shadow Hills, I have heard they have a touch of API in them.
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

Not sure about TG2 or SH ... maybe someone else can chime in on those.

I use the 550 or the 5500 EQ's. They are excellent. Sometimes only need a touch to bring it front and center with musical 'attitude'.

Tough to beat a Neve ... but these API's do something different and are a good compliment because of the difference.
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear
I wouldn't do a chandler. Maybe a p1...lola with 990 opamps might help.
Old 17th June 2015
Dot
Lives for gear

The ISA is very musical, and could be great for your singing tracks, and tracking in general. But it's not aggressive at all.

TG2-500 is pretty buttery and smooth sounding.

Pacifica meets right in between API and Neve, but is less punchy than API, and not as big and colored.

SH Gama starts to get into more aggressive, but the Jensen input transformer is still very clean, and allows the preamp to be faster than some others with that kind of coloration. Their opamps do have a nice punch. And the three output transformers let you play with tones.

API. I agree that you should probably be looking into API. The 2520 opamps have a very specific character, which is known by their punchy, aggressive, and forward sound.

API and Neve-type preamps do complement each other very well. Neve gets that big round "bloom," and API get that spitty mid-range punch.

As far as the mic, you might not be getting enough forward mids out of the ADK. I'd suggest trying the 87. And, I'll just add that you should check out an MD421 on vocals as well. We've had 421s beat 87s often for vox. The 421/API combination is a classic, and has long been used as a chain that punches through the mix with an aggressive tone.

Hope that helps. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Dot; 17th June 2015 at 02:59 PM..
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

BAE1073 = warm, creamy, smooth
Hardy M1 = Clean, transparent, punchy
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search