The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series console WITH flying faders Consoles
Old 15th June 2015
500 series console WITH flying faders

Just wondering does this exist and if so who has one? How do you like it? Basically i want a analogue console with 2 500 series slots per/channel like the Ocean Audio ark but also can have flying faders installed. is this possible?
Old 17th June 2015
No it doesn't, and you're not alone in wanting one
Old 18th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
No it doesn't, and you're not alone in wanting one
sigh..... yea i think this is the dream setup: I want a console with 32 channels. 2 500 series slots each. flying faders and yes is asking for the pan knobs to control the daw pans as well to much to ask? I noramlly do quick mixes where its just levels and panning. Maybe its not possible, but i can dream. Oh and throw a meter bridge on that thang!
Old 18th June 2015
Flying faders can be retrofitted to many designs can't it? The barrier is cost of course...
Old 18th June 2015
Is shadow mix still available?
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Addict

I've seen flying faders attached to 500 series before... in an old API console (imagine that!). Buy a system, buy some modules, build a frame. Kit console is where 500 series originated (nearly half a century ago). It can be done again.
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Yes - it's possible

Here's a solution;

API 1608 with P-Mix automation - 16 500 slots on inputs and 8 500 slots in the Master section that can be assigned.
Load up a lunchbox or 500V rack (or several if you want)
Insert into any channel (or EVERY channel if you want)
chain 500 series modules to get 2,3, or 4 500 series devices per channel!

Here's more info - API: 1608 Console
Attached Thumbnails
500 series console WITH flying faders-api1608auto.jpg  
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
Here's a solution;

API 1608 with P-Mix automation - 16 500 slots on inputs and 8 500 slots in the Master section that can be assigned.
Load up a lunchbox or 500V rack (or several if you want)
Insert into any channel (or EVERY channel if you want)
chain 500 series modules to get 2,3, or 4 500 series devices per channel!

Here's more info - API: 1608 Console
Two problems. One, at the mercy of the API pres (don't get me wrong, I love them, but variety is the spice of life). Two, its cost. If I can get the Ocean Audio board for just shy of $20k, even if it cost me another $11k to have automation, we're still only at half the cost of that API board, if not less...
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

So, if you have a 500 series console, would you want EQ's? Is that the purpose of the slots? Or for EQ and/or compressor and 'character pres' on certain channels for the line in? Or is it only for tracking?

If it is fitted with only EQ, are they all the same EQ? I get that. Avedis EQ on every channel or whatever you prefer. On a mix that is cool. Other EQ's can be patched in for certain channels where desired.

Are they all different EQ? Does that mean, you ALWAYS have kick, snare, hat, toms... in the same spot and you have the API 550A for kick, Harrison for the snare....

I think that if that is the case, one may ultimately get into a rut.

I wish there was a really nice analog line mixer console out there with multiple inserts per channel, and lots of routing and automation options. That way, for each setup, I could patch whatever I want into the console (not just 500 series) and in whatever channel I want (yesterday it was just inside kick, today it is inside, outside and subkick).

The 500 series console could be cool if it were really, really simple to exchange modules. As it is, you have to power down. Right there, I would rather patch.
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
[snip]

I wish there was a really nice analog line mixer console out there with multiple inserts per channel, and lots of routing and automation options. That way, for each setup, I could patch whatever I want into the console (not just 500 series) and in whatever channel I want (yesterday it was just inside kick, today it is inside, outside and subkick).

[snip]
The console you are talking about exists. It is called the SSL Matrix.
Old 20th June 2015
I can definitely recommend the SSL Matrix for what you are asking Kronos147. Or you could use the separate SSL products to fit together to do what you are asking. The SSL Sigma will do the analogue summing with analogue automation, and the SSL X-Patch will provide you with 16 channels of flexible patchbay switching. Add a controller for the DAW controlled Sigma analogue faders, such as the SSL Nucleus. But by the time you've jig-sawed this all together you may have been better off with the all inclusive Matrix to begin with.
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The console you are talking about exists.
Actually, mine is a Wheatstone TV-600.

I have 24 mono and 8 stereo ins (40 ins), 4 stereo aux sends, and 4 stereo groups.

I just wish I had multiple inserts on each channel, with switches, and the master could have more features.

Considering I bought it for $500, I am doing ok.

Oh, and it sounds killer.
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The console you are talking about exists.
Actually, mine is a Wheatstone TV-600.

I have 24 mono and 8 stereo ins (40 ins), 4 stereo aux sends, and 4 stereo groups.

I just wish I had multiple inserts on each channel, with switches, and the master could have more features.

Considering I bought it for $500, I am doing ok.

Oh, and it sounds killer.
Old 20th June 2015
Ideally I'd want it to be 40 slots. 16 top, 16 bottom, and 8 in a bus section. I'd set it up with 8 pairs of pres, 8 pairs of EQ (maybe two pairs of comps), and then set up the 8 bus spaces as a cascaded mixbus chain; a set of EQ, bus comp, maybe some other fun things to fill it out.
All the routing can be normalled for the first 32 bays (top into bottom) and brought out to a bantam patch bay in a producers desk. So I have the option to wire a different pre into a different EQ/comp. If I'm not mistaken, the ocean audio does all of this, minus flying faders, right?

Anyway that's my dream console right there. One day

Quote:
So, if you have a 500 series console, would you want EQ's? Is that the purpose of the slots? Or for EQ and/or compressor and 'character pres' on certain channels for the line in? Or is it only for tracking?

If it is fitted with only EQ, are they all the same EQ? I get that. Avedis EQ on every channel or whatever you prefer. On a mix that is cool. Other EQ's can be patched in for certain channels where desired.

Are they all different EQ? Does that mean, you ALWAYS have kick, snare, hat, toms... in the same spot and you have the API 550A for kick, Harrison for the snare....

The 500 series console could be cool if it were really, really simple to exchange modules. As it is, you have to power down. Right there, I would rather patch.
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mequaz View Post
Just wondering does this exist and if so who has one? How do you like it? Basically i want a analogue console with 2 500 series slots per/channel like the Ocean Audio ark but also can have flying faders installed. is this possible?
Yes.
We're working on fader automation.
We're very close to having this ready.

You can install our fader automation in the Ark, but can also use it for other consoles.

We're aiming at around $3000 per 8 channels.

Peace
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Old 26th June 2015
N.E
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Flying faders can be retrofitted to many designs can't it? The barrier is cost of course...
yes of course!
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:

The Ocean Audio Ark 500 range of input channels have 2 500-slots per channel.
These are not "tied" to the channel, but have there own input and output.
If you use a patchbay, you can patch any 500 module (or chain of modules) to any input, insert and/or output of the Ark.

Cheers
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Ideally I'd want it to be 40 slots. 16 top, 16 bottom, and 8 in a bus section. I'd set it up with 8 pairs of pres, 8 pairs of EQ (maybe two pairs of comps), and then set up the 8 bus spaces as a cascaded mixbus chain; a set of EQ, bus comp, maybe some other fun things to fill it out.
All the routing can be normalled for the first 32 bays (top into bottom) and brought out to a bantam patch bay in a producers desk. So I have the option to wire a different pre into a different EQ/comp. If I'm not mistaken, the ocean audio does all of this, minus flying faders, right?

Anyway that's my dream console right there. One day
Exactly.
The Ark 516 offers all this.
(and we'll soon have moving faders)

Cheers
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Old 26th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno W View Post
The Ocean Audio Ark 500 ...
These are not "tied" to the channel...

Cheers
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Nice. Thanks for the 411. I will do some more homework.

Good on ya guys (Ocean Audio) for thinking about that!

While I am personally set for the moment, this issue is near and dear to me and was an obsession until I found my solution.
Old 27th June 2015
Quote:
Exactly.

Cheers
Bruno
Ocean Audio
Email'd you guys yesterday! It'll be a game changer if DAW control can happen!
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear
Even 500 series stuff like Bettermaker or Moog delays do plugin control via USB or MIDI and that's automation and much more. Don't know why it has to be so expensive. That technology across a whole 500 series rack would be all you need. Is this not possible as a cheap solution to control output trims at least.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

Whoever completes such a desk I pray they put enough aux sends in it. 8 is NOT enough for us larger rooms. We really wanna keep our headphone mixes up and ready. 12 sixes minimum.

Also - 12 busses is a minimum must have.

DAW control is also a must. This is 2015.

The ark is like 80% there.
And it's pretty!
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Head

Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought that anybody reading this might be interested in the update I've just put on the thread which specifically relates to the moving faders part of question.

In short, Malcolm and our team have finished designing the moving fader system - more info here: FaderMate: Motorised fader system by Malcolm Toft
Old 1st February 2018
FWIW, I heard Jeff Steiger is about to release a moving fader system too. Paging @ jsteiger
Old 1st February 2018
aaaaand... just reading about the Fix Audio 500 series console from Paul Wolf that does exactly what's being asked for here...
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Exactly.

Cheers
Bruno
Ocean Audio
I took a quick look but not sure.. Do your console with x2 500 slots per channel also have a built-in preamp ? Or we have to put a 500 series slot Preamp ?
I would be just crazy to have Some kind of channel strip (Preamp / EQ / DYN )

Thank you
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStAmour View Post
I took a quick look but not sure.. Do your console with x2 500 slots per channel also have a built-in preamp ? Or we have to put a 500 series slot Preamp ?
I would be just crazy to have Some kind of channel strip (Preamp / EQ / DYN )

Thank you
That must have been a very quick look
You quoted a post from almost 3 years ago.

The Ark 516 from Ocean Audio is no longer being built.
During the past two years we have been working on a completely new designed console. The Ark8 is now available, and we're quite proud of what she became.
The Ark8 effectively has built-in mic preamps.

You can find more info at arkconsole.com

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
That must have been a very quick look
You quoted a post from almost 3 years ago.

The Ark 516 from Ocean Audio is no longer being built.
During the past two years we have been working on a completely new designed console. The Ark8 is now available, and we're quite proud of what she became.
The Ark8 effectively has built-in mic preamps.

You can find more info at arkconsole.com

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
I'm lazy ok

But thank you for your quick answer!
Old 17th February 2018
Quote:
aaaaand... just reading about the Fix Audio 500 series console from Paul Wolf that does exactly what's being asked for here...
yea i saw this and thought: its like those guys literally jumped in my mind and said we got just the thing! def gonna be looking into this!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search