The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
User Input on Three Summoners before pulling the Trigger on one! (B32, Sigma, 5059)
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Addict

User Input on Three Summoners before pulling the Trigger on one! (B32, Sigma, 5059)

I know what they all offer, but cost and cabling can add up. But which sounds best?? Burl having 32 inputs, Sigma with automation and Monitor control, and Neve with their tone. Just fishing around for some of your inputs guys.
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

I really don't think that at this quality and price point that something sounds better. Horses for courses. It's like Ferrari, McClaren, and Bugatti. I do think the Burl and Neve are going to be more colored. If the work your doing requires color then go that way. Sigma can be pushed and get colored but I think it's not the same as Neve or Burl. Workflow is also key. Sigma gives you digitally controlled analog channels and DAW automation. Great monitor center, direct outs, two busses. Big, clean, wide, open sound. Subtle coloration but very very clean. Awesome. (I have Sigma so I'm familiar with the sound). 5059 is a small console. I think it has daw transport control over USB, but I think that's it. Great monitor center. It's a stand alone summing console with Neve sound. How can you go wrong there? Burl is more of a standard summing box, but with Burl's amazing analog path that's wide, open, and colored if you push it. (I have Burl B2 so I'm familiar with the Burl sound). So again, none of these are better than the other. You need to work out a demo with a distributor, get them in your room and try them out yourself. So do you want DAW control and clean open, do you want some real faders to touch and Neve color, or just a simple summing box with nice clean open sound with some girth. Just depends on what you want. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If someone says oh I tried sigma and sent it back and got 5059. That's their opinion. Opinions are nice. But until you hear and touch one yourself, you're doing yourself a disservice. Place a bet on the one that you think is what you'd be looking for sound and workflow wise, demo and make a judgement to keep it or move on. That's how you'll get the best summer.
Old 12th June 2015
Gear Nut
I agree with Slug1, but must add that the 5059 also has 2 busses. I look at the winners as being:

Cost - Burl
Number of Inputs/Outputs - Sigma (Sigma has Inserts and Returns for the 2 output/mix busses, Aux inputs, 2 monitor outs, talkback, headphone outs and direct outs for each channel), Burl has 32 input channels and 2 monitor/mix outs
Color - Neve (2 silk modes and output transformer) , Burl (BX5 output transformer on or off)
Automation - Sigma

I have the Sigma and I love it, I also have a Rascal Tonebuss and a Mixdream. I want the Neve. The Burl is a nice to have but not a real "need it". If I had to do it all over, I'd probably get the Neve first, but I would still get the Sigma...
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Addict

I'm leaning more towards the Burl for color and cost. I realize from the three units all would make for a great buy. Just a matter of taste. Thanks for the input!
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Nut
I like the Neve 8816? more then the 5059 honestly. But, like everyone has said I agree and don't think one is better then the other. They all sound great. I have two 8816's cascaded together and have two Neve fader packs one on each side on my desk and works nice. But, it's all about whatever better suites your workflow.
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Addict

Mixmaster 20

To the op: just for curiosity, don't you consider the MM20?
Old 14th June 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
Burl is going to have to pay James Lugo some money for the unintentional promotion of the Burl Vancouver.

Seems like everyone is making a thread asking about that unit since he got one.

Including this one, at the moment of writing this, there are three different threads asking about the Burl summing amp. : )
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Slug1;11115111]I 5059 is a small console. I think it has daw transport control over USB, but I think that's it. Great monitor center. It's a stand alone summing console with Neve sound. How can you go wrong there?

Ahh I think you are referring to the 5060 centrepiece not the 5059 satellite summing mixer which has non of the above mentioned.

All are great pieces though so you still can't go wrong either way of the $$$

About the OP, I'm in the same boat and think I'll be waiting for the new dangerous 2buss+ to come out and add that to the mix before making my decision.
Old 24th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
To the op: just for curiosity, don't you consider the MM20?

Never heard of the MM20, I'll check it out.

I'm starting to learn towards the Sigma now. So many great tools out there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search