The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Munro Sonic Egg150 or Focal Twin 6? Studio Monitors
Old 4th June 2015
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Munro Sonic Egg150 or Focal Twin 6?

Which do you prefer? For producing and mastering...
Old 10th June 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I'm also interested, so just giving a gentle ... bump ...
Old 11th June 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
brianellefson's Avatar
I didn't try those Focals but I've owned Event Opals, Yamahas and Genelecs and I tried out a number or other monitors and ended up with the Egg 150s. They really are great monitors. Really nice soundstage. Accurate. Tight sounding monitors. They don't go as low as my old Opals but they do measure pretty well down to about 42hz. For the music I do, that's been fine.

Yeah they look really quirky but I can hear the difference in their design. They're just super accurate.

Lastly, they're bigger than they look. Their stands bring them up to about 15 inches tall. And they came in one giant box with the rack mountable amp. The box was probably four feet long.
Old 11th June 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
I didn't try those Focals but I've owned Event Opals, Yamahas and Genelecs and I tried out a number or other monitors and ended up with the Egg 150s. They really are great monitors. Really nice soundstage. Accurate. Tight sounding monitors. They don't go as low as my old Opals but they do measure pretty well down to about 42hz. For the music I do, that's been fine.

Yeah they look really quirky but I can hear the difference in their design. They're just super accurate.

Lastly, they're bigger than they look. Their stands bring them up to about 15 inches tall. And they came in one giant box with the rack mountable amp. The box was probably four feet long.
Thanks Brian, I was just reading the comments you posted when you bought them just a moment ago! Much appreciated. I just had a listen today next to some Focal 65s after trying out some APS klassics, KH120s, and Eve monitors very briefly earlier this week. They were by some margin my favourites in pretty much every way - the sound stage is really something. The Focals were surprisingly good, but switching back and forth with the eggs had that hackneyed "lifting a veil" thing going on - not that the Focals were bad at all, but the sound was so much brighter and definitely more accurate with more clearly defined bass on the eggs. Their list price is more than all the others of course, but I think I may just have to bite the bullet, because after hearing them, I really do want them. As well as being precise they actually sound pleasant to my ears in a way that, for particular example, the klassiks didn't at all (very low mid focussed to my ears). Need to persuade myself now!
Old 11th June 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Thanks Brian, I was just reading the comments you posted when you bought them just a moment ago! Much appreciated. I just had a listen today next to some Focal 65s after trying out some APS klassics, KH120s, and Eve monitors very briefly earlier this week. They were by some margin my favourites in pretty much every way - the sound stage is really something. The Focals were surprisingly good, but switching back and forth with the eggs had that hackneyed "lifting a veil" thing going on - not that the Focals were bad at all, but the sound was so much brighter and definitely more accurate with more clearly defined bass on the eggs. Their list price is more than all the others of course, but I think I may just have to bite the bullet, because after hearing them, I really do want them. As well as being precise they actually sound pleasant to my ears in a way that, for particular example, the klassiks didn't at all (very low mid focussed to my ears). Need to persuade myself now!
I currently have several sets of monitors. I don't have the Eggs but I do have the Focal Twin6 with the matching Sub6. I have been really happy with them but have recently decided that my control room is too big for them so I am looking to make an upgrade. Not really sure to what just yet. I will say that the Twin6 is a better all around speaker for tracking (they can go loud!) mixing (great imaging) and balance (mastering for most people). I am actually considering selling several sets of monitors to step up into some ATCs (at least right now thats what I am leaning towards) or possibly the Focal SM9. I have not really made that decision yet.

As far as value goes, I honestly thing for their price point they are one of the overall best values in the market for what you are wanting to do. There are other speakers like the Amphion One18 that are in similar price points but since they are unpowered you need a very good amp to drive them and they don't go nearly as loud as the Focals. I also own the Genelec 8050 with 7070 sub, Genelec 1031, and of course....NS10s!

If you are nearby I would be happy to show you mine
Old 11th June 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
I currently have several sets of monitors. I don't have the Eggs but I do have the Focal Twin6 with the matching Sub6. I have been really happy with them but have recently decided that my control room is too big for them so I am looking to make an upgrade. Not really sure to what just yet. I will say that the Twin6 is a better all around speaker for tracking (they can go loud!) mixing (great imaging) and balance (mastering for most people). I am actually considering selling several sets of monitors to step up into some ATCs (at least right now thats what I am leaning towards) or possibly the Focal SM9. I have not really made that decision yet.

As far as value goes, I honestly thing for their price point they are one of the overall best values in the market for what you are wanting to do. There are other speakers like the Amphion One18 that are in similar price points but since they are unpowered you need a very good amp to drive them and they don't go nearly as loud as the Focals. I also own the Genelec 8050 with 7070 sub, Genelec 1031, and of course....NS10s!

If you are nearby I would be happy to show you mine
Motoxxx, thanks for the insights and the offer - very generous, but I'm between London and Liverpool at the moment, so a little too much of a detour - really appreciate is though There are eggs from a couple of vendors significantly below RRP right now, so I'm very tempted. They just so so good for my needs.
Old 11th June 2016
  #7
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor View Post
Which do you prefer? For producing and mastering...
Neither would be my first choice but, of the two, I think I would go for the Eggs.
Old 3rd July 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Just an update - I tried both of these and finally got the eggs. The Focals did amazing things to vocals in my test, bu they didn't suit the room they were in and there was a little too much 150-200 Hz going on (IIRC they have an eq at around this frequency so I'm sure that would have been easily sorted). They were also pretty large. The eggs have an amazingly transparent sound (I had these alongside dynaudio air 6s and both the owner and I thought the eggs sounded better, which is impressive considering the price of the airs originally) and a big sound stage. The bass is very good and very transparent, but drops off below around 40 - 45 Hz or so - there is something at 35HZ, but it's quiet. I'm loving the eq switch on the front and they actually sound good for listening to music - haven't seriously used them for arranging or editing yet, so I'll see how they go, but I'm very pleased with them (there are a lot of deals on open boxes for them and a few second hand where they are a relative bargain).

I also tried out usual suspects like the KH 120s (the eggs have a much larger sound and I preferred them by some margin despite liking the 120s) and some new stuff like the APS Klassiks (just didn't like the low-mid heavy sound - very much an acquired taste IMHO and you have to try them because one or two reviewers have been raving about them, but I just wasn't impressed). I've done a huge amount of reviewing and now I'm happy to just stop it and get on with enjoying them - Just my 2p
Old 4th July 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
brianellefson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Just an update - I tried both of these and finally got the eggs. The Focals did amazing things to vocals in my test, bu they didn't suit the room they were in and there was a little too much 150-200 Hz going on (IIRC they have an eq at around this frequency so I'm sure that would have been easily sorted). They were also pretty large. The eggs have an amazingly transparent sound (I had these alongside dynaudio air 6s and both the owner and I thought the eggs sounded better, which is impressive considering the price of the airs originally) and a big sound stage. The bass is very good and very transparent, but drops off below around 40 - 45 Hz or so - there is something at 35HZ, but it's quiet. I'm loving the eq switch on the front and they actually sound good for listening to music - haven't seriously used them for arranging or editing yet, so I'll see how they go, but I'm very pleased with them (there are a lot of deals on open boxes for them and a few second hand where they are a relative bargain).

I also tried out usual suspects like the KH 120s (the eggs have a much larger sound and I preferred them by some margin despite liking the 120s) and some new stuff like the APS Klassiks (just didn't like the low-mid heavy sound - very much an acquired taste IMHO and you have to try them because one or two reviewers have been raving about them, but I just wasn't impressed). I've done a huge amount of reviewing and now I'm happy to just stop it and get on with enjoying them - Just my 2p
Cool. I've been happy with mine as well. There is something different about there sound and I like it. Things just sound "cleaner" to me through them.

Funny thing though, everyone who visits ends up rubbing them with their hands. For some reason people can't look at em without touching them.
Old 4th July 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Thanks Brian, I was just reading the comments you posted when you bought them just a moment ago! Much appreciated. I just had a listen today next to some Focal 65s after trying out some APS klassics, KH120s, and Eve monitors very briefly earlier this week. They were by some margin my favourites in pretty much every way - the sound stage is really something. The Focals were surprisingly good, but switching back and forth with the eggs had that hackneyed "lifting a veil" thing going on - not that the Focals were bad at all, but the sound was so much brighter and definitely more accurate with more clearly defined bass on the eggs. Their list price is more than all the others of course, but I think I may just have to bite the bullet, because after hearing them, I really do want them. As well as being precise they actually sound pleasant to my ears in a way that, for particular example, the klassiks didn't at all (very low mid focussed to my ears). Need to persuade myself now!
This is interesting as I owned Egg's and was quite happy with them but got a chance to use Amphions in my room for several weeks. I had the lifting the veil thing happen with the Amphions vs the Egg's. Never intended to buy monitors after picking my Egg's.
Amphions just killed that for me. I could not go back to the Egg's. Good monitors though.
Old 4th July 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
This is interesting as I owned Egg's and was quite happy with them but got a chance to use Amphions in my room for several weeks. I had the lifting the veil thing happen with the Amphions vs the Egg's. Never intended to buy monitors after picking my Egg's.
Amphions just killed that for me. I could not go back to the Egg's. Good monitors though.
The eggs will do me for some time I'm sure! I'll get round to listening to Amphions at some point, but the Eggs, as you say, are very good monitors and given the open box prices currently around, verging on a bargain - mine were half what I'd currently have to pay for Amphions with a matching amp (and as I say were subjectively better than the dynaudio air 6's that a fellow GS member demoed for me next to them). I'm happy
Old 4th July 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
Cool. I've been happy with mine as well. There is something different about there sound and I like it. Things just sound "cleaner" to me through them.

Funny thing though, everyone who visits ends up rubbing them with their hands. For some reason people can't look at em without touching them.
Cheers - and I know exactly what you mean lol
Old 4th July 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
brianellefson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
The eggs will do me for some time I'm sure! I'll get round to listening to Amphions at some point, but the Eggs, as you say, are very good monitors and given the open box prices currently around, verging on a bargain - mine were half what I'd currently have to pay for Amphions with a matching amp (and as I say were subjectively better than the dynaudio air 6's that a fellow GS member demoed for me next to them). I'm happy
Same here on pricing. I think it was something like $1,800 USD and everything came with full warranty. Kind of hard to beat those monitors at that price point.
Old 7th July 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
The eggs will do me for some time I'm sure! I'll get round to listening to Amphions at some point, but the Eggs, as you say, are very good monitors and given the open box prices currently around, verging on a bargain - mine were half what I'd currently have to pay for Amphions with a matching amp (and as I say were subjectively better than the dynaudio air 6's that a fellow GS member demoed for me next to them). I'm happy
Oh I completely get this. I used an Adcom amp modded by Jim Williams instead of the Amphion amp and saved quite a chunk of change.
I also picked up my Eggs at the open box price range as well. So it was not to painful to make the switch.
Old 7th July 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Arksun's Avatar
The Eggs are pretty decent for their price point. Thing that impressed me the most about them was the vastness of the soundstage. The actual sweet spot wasn't very big, but once you're sat perfectly in that sweetspot, the soundstage extended far and wide beyond the speaker positions, revealing a fair bit of detail just by virtue of the expanse of the stereo image.
Old 7th July 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
The Eggs are pretty decent for their price point. Thing that impressed me the most about them was the vastness of the soundstage. The actual sweet spot wasn't very big, but once you're sat perfectly in that sweetspot, the soundstage extended far and wide beyond the speaker positions, revealing a fair bit of detail just by virtue of the expanse of the stereo image.
That is an absolutely spot on description of what they do. Agreed. I've been moving them around quite a bit to get happy with a final position despite those LED guides, but that sound stage is ... embracing ...
Old 8th July 2016
  #17
Here for the gear
 

I have an egg150 and it's truly amazing and valuable even with £2000. It's very flat, transparent and lightweighted! Compared to previous studio monitors I've used, it sounds quite close to Exigy monitors. Haven't used Focal speakers but egg won't let you down, his tweeters even gives me a hint of Atc scm100asl, but obviously they can't be compared together!
Old 9th July 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 

^^Impressive sentiments - glad you're as happy (or even happier by the sound of it) as me


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
The Eggs are pretty decent for their price point. Thing that impressed me the most about them was the vastness of the soundstage. The actual sweet spot wasn't very big, but once you're sat perfectly in that sweetspot, the soundstage extended far and wide beyond the speaker positions, revealing a fair bit of detail just by virtue of the expanse of the stereo image.
I literally only just (since your post) stumbled across your review on Anjunabeats after I started listening more critically and did a specific search regarding HF EQ - it was very useful and confirmed something I was suspecting before I looked through the manual, and it's worth repeating here for anyone demoing these monitors - they ship with the EQ section at the back up full with no bass attenuation, but more importantly for me, with the HF turned up to +1, which is 2 Db up on what the manual actually recommends for standard use. I found the HF a little tiring especially with the front panel mid EQ up for testing mids and vocals (though great sounding). Having turned the HF EQ down 90 degrees for 2 Db less, I'm much happier and the highs are still sweet as. I've also turned the bass down a couple of Db and there's still plenty there so I'll see how I go with that. Thanks for that Arksun
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump