The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What monitors to use instead of Genelec 1032? Studio Monitors
Old 4th June 2015
Here for the gear

Which monitors to get instead of Genelec 1032?

Hello there Slutz, longtime lurker here.

I'm looking for a new pair of monitors. Currently, I'm using Genelec 1032's, but I'm worried about them making everything sound too pretty. Also I'm not sure they translate that well. Could be me though (probably).
The build quality is superb though and the transient response is really great. And they will go quite low.

I might be able to get my hands on a pair of used Dynaudio MA-1, in good condition. Thing is I can't really find any info or reviews on them. What do you guys think about these?

Also, I'm interested in the Dynaudio BM12. Is there anything in the price range of the BM12's that I should consider? Or should I go for the MA-1's and never look back?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited by Parzival; 4th June 2015 at 05:46 PM..
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Love Dyns, but would suggest Eve's, they are very telling....
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Event opals or amphions
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

Even if they are making things sound TOO good, I wouldn't ditch the 1032's. I would look at adding a second speaker set like the avatone mixcubes, Ns10's, or even a cheap pair of computer speakers.

I personally like having all levels of speakers playback available. Super surgical and clinical big speakers, (your 1032s), a small pro level midrange focused speaker, (mixcube,NS10) and a true consumer playback box (computer speakers, Ipod docking station)

I think your problem could be solved be adding lower fi mix check speakers.
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE View Post
Event opals or amphions

YES! 100%
Old 7th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Amphion One18's + Amphion Amp500 + Amphion cables = done, move on..
Old 7th June 2015
I upgraded from my Genelecs to PSI A21-m. The Gennies always served me well but the PSI honestly do translate better. I also have a pair of PMC IB2s as an additional reference, but (as great as they are) they're more of an afterthought TBH.
Old 8th June 2015
Gear Guru

The Geithain RL906 are also worth looking at.
Old 8th June 2015
Lux
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
YES! 100%
LuXx; have you used both monitors?
If, would you recomend me to switch from Opal to Amphion?

Last edited by Lux; 8th June 2015 at 08:21 PM..
Old 8th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Lux; have you used both monitors?
If, would you recomend me to switch from Opal to Amphion?

HAHA!!!!!! It might be weird if you switch to Amphion from Opal because I will be switching to Amphion from Opal too... Ahh, once again, both Lux and LuXx follow the same path lol!!!

Seriously though, Amphion are amazing, you wont be dissapointed! Which model are you thinking of?
Old 8th June 2015
Lux
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
HAHA!!!!!! It might be weird if you switch to Amphion from Opal because I will be switching to Amphion from Opal too... Ahh, once again, both Lux and LuXx follow the same path lol!!!

Seriously though, Amphion are amazing, you wont be dissapointed! Which model are you thinking of?
One 18 if selling Opal, One15 if keeping Opal. One thing that I am a bit worried over is that my room has some peak around 200, which I tame with Opals eq. Amphion dont have this room eq.
Old 8th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
One 18 if selling Opal, One15 if keeping Opal. One thing that I am a bit worried over is that my room has some peak around 200, which I tame with Opals eq. Amphion dont have this room eq.
Im deciding the same thing but thing I will take the plunge and go two18 and move my Opal to my dj setup...

if I get the one15 I will add to my Opal
Old 8th June 2015
The Gens you have are great monitors. I agree adding a 2nd pair of monitors like the Yamaha HS5's or Avatones would be a great option.
Old 9th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
I upgraded from my Genelecs to PSI A21-m. The Gennies always served me well but the PSI honestly do translate better. I also have a pair of PMC IB2s as an additional reference, but (as great as they are) they're more of an afterthought TBH.
I've been using PSI A21M for a few months - very good at exposing the stuff I need to work on
Old 9th June 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response guys!

I just came across the Neumann KH120A's. Seems to fit the "small pro level midrange speaker" criteria. Would these be a good addition to the Genelecs?

The cheap computer speakers are an excellent idea, setting those up right away.

Last edited by Parzival; 9th June 2015 at 03:55 PM..
Old 12th June 2015
Id suggest you buy the avantone mixcube or ns10 or yamaha hs8. You already have a good sounding genelec. Good for vibes. The above 3 would force you to come down to a consumer level . So yyeah. Forget expensive speakers for now is what id say
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Maniac
Amphion One18's and amp 500. I have never experienced a better mixing speaker.
Old 15th June 2015
Add NS10's to the Genelecs and you're at 100%.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Maniac

I have been a huge fan of the Meyer HD-1's they are very revealing, translate well, and are different enough to be different.

FWIW - I am considering 1032's, MD-1's, and Neumann 310's for my new room.

I have used the Dynaudio BM15's along side my old, and loved JBL 4315's (McIntosh power btw) and cleints could not tell the difference between them. Lovely product! Still use Dynaudios for my TV.
Old 16th June 2015
I came from similar monitors and LOVE my PMC TB1s. Less fatiguing, better low mids and transient response kicks ass.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search