The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GT2Q or Vintage Neve 1272's racked by BA??
Old 4th June 2015
Here for the gear

Aurora GT2Q or Vintage Neve 1272's racked by BA??

Hey All,

I am looking for advice and both biased and unbiased endorsements from people with real experience with both of these units. As well sonic differences. I know everything is subjective. So I am looking for opinions and pros and cons of each unit. I currently have a pair of GT Bricks that I modded with 60's Telefunkens and Allen Bradley pots.

I know that the GT2Q has eq, which I might use a little, but most of Audio guru's I know don't use much eq when tracking, so it could be cool, but not a deal breaker either way. I know about the 1272's performance issue's above 50db and about the different gain stages vs. a 1073 already. I know there is a mod, to turn a 1272 into 1290 (a 1073 minus the eq section), that I could do down the line.

Vintage Neve 1272's Racked by Brent Averil or the Aurora GTQ2??

Again I'm looking for any and all opinions, about different sound characteristics, and general usability. These will be my first high end mic pre's and I would like to use them on most everything I record, synths, gtr, bass, and strings, vocals, etc.

I rarely post on here, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this thread, if this isn't please move to appropriate area..

Thanks Everyone.

Last edited by Mattybass1; 4th June 2015 at 08:32 AM..
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Guru

The GTQ EQ is super simple, but sounds great. Its perfect in tracking when you just want to nudge the tone a bit. The transformer tone, even without the EQ is heafty in the best possible way.
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear

Since you are comparing the 1272 and GTQ2, I'll assume you are looking for the "1073" sound. Speaking just preamp section -- from my experience, and most user reviews I've read, the overall consensus is that the GTQ2 delivers basically "that" sound, with a bit more top sheen (air). The 1272 sounds exactly same as the 1073, up until 50db. That said, both of these are excellent units in the same sonic family.

Questions to ask yourself in deciding which of the 2 units is better suited for you:

1) do you want the sound of an original 1073 or prefer the extra, natural top sheen?

2) do you want the EQ section?

3) do you care about resale value?

4) do you care about "vintage" factor?

Once you weigh out the answers, your final decision should be fairly simple
Old 4th June 2015
Here for the gear

I have to say I'm a huge fan of the GTQ2. The warmth of custom transformers (made by old Mariner guys) cant be beat in my opinion. It has both balanced and unbalanced output as well as an amazing DI. A simple but versatile 3 band EQ and HIGH PASS FILTER not mention internal Power supply. Im not knocking the 1272 but Aurora gear just blows me away every time.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Love both Aurora and BAE, but suggest the latter here...
Old 5th June 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for their thoughts so far, some really insightful and great things for me to consider..

Exactly the type of responses I'm looking for, keep them coming..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
Love both Aurora and BAE, but suggest the latter here...
I have narrowed my choices to original vintage neve 1272's that were racked by Brent, not a BAE product, if that makes sense. Do you mean that you prefer vintage 1272's racked by Brent over a GT2Q? Thanks Vintageidiot.
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Nut

Aurora would be much more useful in so many situations.

50 db gain is just not enough if you'll be using ribbons/dynamics or recording quiet sources. If you don't already have a good preamp you'll need something that can handle any task.

Also, even if you "don't want to track with EQ", having a high pass filter is often handy, not to mention the DI.

To me, as a first preamp, this is a no brainer.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

The 1272s do not sound the same as a 1073 up to 50db.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Get whatever meets your needs. Brent Averill was BAE, but which now stands for British Audio Engineering....I personally seek out gear with vintage transformers inside. Better yet, ask the highly experienced, tried and true industry vets what they think, they are pretty accessible and may respond if you seek them out...
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Nut

I have heard both BAE 1073s and the GTQ2 side by side, and to our group, we preferred the Aurora. We were doing a drum session with 8 ch. of BAE 1073s and the GTQ2. After hearing them side by side, we decided to use the Aurora on kick and snare, and the BAEs on the rest of the kit. We also used a Tab Funkenwerk V72s for the room mics.

Not to say the BAEs sounded bad. Actually, they sounded damn good. You couldn't go wrong with them at all. But, for us we chose the Aurora as the better pre for the situation.

FYI, they were the original BAEs before the new crop, so who knows if there is any difference. I work in a studio now that we track vocals a pair of BAE 1073 from the current crop and they do sound great, too.

Bottom line, all are great and you really couldn't go wrong with either of the choices. It's really personal taste. For my money though, I prefer the GTQ. You can't beat the bang for the buck factor, and the sound is sublime.

But, YMMV...
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Nut

I didn't hear the BAE 1073, but i'm dealing with both GTQ-2 and BAE 1272 almost every day. IMHO the Aurora sounds way better than the BAE. Maybe with the BAE 1073 the thing is different... but i don't know for sure. Some people claim that BAE 1073 sounds more "retro" than the GTQ-2.

Sonically the GTQ-2 is a really great unit, for sure. I've always been amazed by the sound.
Negative points: In my experience, Auroras are not build like a tank... mine broke 2 times in the same year, and i had a bad experience with technical support in Europe. A friend of mine also had problems with his GTQ-2 and again the support is not what i call stellar...

Anyway i think it's a really great preamp.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

As said above, a 1272 is can be great for some mics but they are line amps, not mic amps. That doesn't mean they'll be better or worse for your application. Just keep in mind you'll be a bit more limited and it IS NOT the same thing as a 1073, 1084, etc.

To add to that - Aurora Audio and Geoff have a sterling reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him. Plus, it's new. No immediate maintenance.
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Nut

Sorry you had bad experience with service. I'm in LA and go to see the shop directly. I've found them nothing but stellar for service. It's also nice to talk to Geoff directly, as well as the rest of the staff at Aurora. Unfortunately, that is the peril with boutique manufacture gear of any kind, which also includes BAE. These are usually very small shops, with a handful of people, if not just one person there to take care of manufacturing and repair. Buying a corp made unit like the AMS Neves or SSL gives you a little more security, but you pay for their overhead. Geoff could charge a whole lot more for his products in order to have a large staff, but he doesn't and what you don't pay for upfront you may pay later on with longer repair times. What I will say is his stuff is all hand built with high quality components, with no ICs except for the PSU. You could always have it repaired by a really good tech in your area who could try to figure it out the problem. When you're out of warranty it's definitely an option. At least with BAE 1073, 1272's etc. are copies of a widely know circuit you can find schematics for on the internet.

That said, I've never had a problem with my GTQ2, but I've had issues with my GT EQ. It was one of the early models, and they have taken care of me well.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemusic View Post
We also used a Tab Funkenwerk V72s for the room mics.
Curious, what mics were used and what settings did you dial in to the TAB?
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Nut

If I remember, they were Mike Jolly modded ribbons, and we had it cranked until sounded good. On the V72S there is only a gain setting, unlike the V78s Oliver made. RIP
Not sure which ones, but they were Apexs originally.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search