The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Nut

Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?

Hello,

We've had a pair of 8351 in our tracking room for a few months and after initial setup and listening, I havent as much as touched them in a while.

So today I decided to do a quick mix on them just for fun and all I can is is omg. There is no way to put in words how accurate these monitors are. Simply insane stereo imaging, depth and transient response. Only smallish minus is that for me, they could go a little louder before hitting the reds that I understand that im probably a minority in this case. I've used the 8260 quite a bit but I have to say that I like these even more. I dont know what makes the transients so lively, maybe having all drivers on same axis? Whatever it is, I need more of this in my life. 8030-8040 version with the same technology would probably be my ideal nearfield.
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l View Post
Hello,

We've had a pair of 8351 in our tracking room for a few months and after initial setup and listening, I havent as much as touched them in a while.

So today I decided to do a quick mix on them just for fun and all I can is is omg. There is no way to put in words how accurate these monitors are. Simply insane stereo imaging, depth and transient response. Only smallish minus is that for me, they could go a little louder before hitting the reds that I understand that im probably a minority in this case. I've used the 8260 quite a bit but I have to say that I like these even more. I dont know what makes the transients so lively, maybe having all drivers on same axis? Whatever it is, I need more of this in my life. 8030-8040 version with the same technology would probably be my ideal nearfield.
A user here, Jantex is using them, he seems very happy with the 8351 as well.

I have the 8250 and I also agree with the ''Simply insane stereo imaging, depth and transient response.'' after calibration.
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l View Post
Hello,

I actually have both, 8260 and 8351 and they are both the best monitors I have ever heard or had. Yes, 8351 are really special, they have slightly less headroom than 8260 but are still loud as hell. Once they are calibrated they easily give you additional 4-6 dB of headroom which than becomes insane. Please be aware that you should not leave bass tilt in a default position with Genelecs if your mixing room is not an anechoic chamber.

Mixes translate 100% from my room and I never enjoyed mixing and mastering that much. I don't need to pay attention how to mix, my only task is to make everything sound good and once it sounds good that's it. They are extremely detailed, musical and what is the most important: accurate. Material that sounds great really sounds out of this world, but even a slight problem in the mix is emphasized. But not in a way that they make you not enjoy the mix, they just let you know what needs to be corrected

I don't believe you can find a better soundstage and imaging that 8260 and 8351 provide. 8351 actually are perfect nearfield for me and I wouldn't need a smaller speaker with this coaxial configuration, because 8351 work perfectly cohesive even at only 0,5m listening distance. I have them positionet around 1,6m from my listening position while 8260 are at 2,5m.

If I needed to choose one monitor between these two I would take 8351, but if you need even more headroom and low end extension flat to 20Hz, than 8260 are an obvious choice. 8351 are flat in my room down to 30Hz and provide useful info down to 26Hz.
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Nut

Simply insane stereo imaging, depth and transient response/ 100% agree!
Old 7th June 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I actually have both, 8260 and 8351 and they are both the best monitors I have ever heard or had. Yes, 8351 are really special, they have slightly less headroom than 8260 but are still loud as hell. Once they are calibrated they easily give you additional 4-6 dB of headroom which than becomes insane. Please be aware that you should not leave bass tilt in a default position with Genelecs if your mixing room is not an anechoic chamber.

Mixes translate 100% from my room and I never enjoyed mixing and mastering that much. I don't need to pay attention how to mix, my only task is to make everything sound good and once it sounds good that's it. They are extremely detailed, musical and what is the most important: accurate. Material that sounds great really sounds out of this world, but even a slight problem in the mix is emphasized. But not in a way that they make you not enjoy the mix, they just let you know what needs to be corrected

I don't believe you can find a better soundstage and imaging that 8260 and 8351 provide. 8351 actually are perfect nearfield for me and I wouldn't need a smaller speaker with this coaxial configuration, because 8351 work perfectly cohesive even at only 0,5m listening distance. I have them positionet around 1,6m from my listening position while 8260 are at 2,5m.

If I needed to choose one monitor between these two I would take 8351, but if you need even more headroom and low end extension flat to 20Hz, than 8260 are an obvious choice. 8351 are flat in my room down to 30Hz and provide useful info down to 26Hz.
Hi Jantex

I am thinking of changing my Genelec's S30D, but I'm not quite convinced what to purchase.
I'm between those two models, and I'm scared a bit because two oval drivers are hidden. I really like S30D but they are out of production for a long time now.
Spare parts will be in question in the next year or so.

8260 is very logical for me, but this new technology is very interesting.
I should demo those, but I don't have here any possibility.
I have Yamaha HS80 and Avantone active cubes too.

Do you use DSP room compensation system with those 8351?
Thanks
Old 8th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Hi Jantex

I am thinking of changing my Genelec's S30D, but I'm not quite convinced what to purchase.
I'm between those two models, and I'm scared a bit because two oval drivers are hidden. I really like S30D but they are out of production for a long time now.
Spare parts will be in question in the next year or so.

8260 is very logical for me, but this new technology is very interesting.
I should demo those, but I don't have here any possibility.

Do you use DSP room compensation system with those 8351?
Thanks
Don't be afraid of two oval woofers hidden by aluminium baffle. People at Genelec know what they are doing. If you need nearfield which means closer listening distances and the best possible soundstage take 8351. If you need headroom for days and extention to 20Hz with also superb soundstage at midfield 8260 is the one to get.

I do use DSP and it makes a difference even in a great room. It transforms superb speakers into perfection. I have never been so confident mixing as with 8351. And I can listen to them for days without a hint of any fatigue. I can assure you you won't be sorry trying any of these.
Old 8th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi Jantex

Hey Den,

Since you own the HS80 is there a big difference between HS80 and S30? What about translation? I've heard great things about HS80 although they are very cheap speakers.
Old 8th June 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Don't be afraid of two oval woofers hidden by aluminium baffle. People at Genelec know what they are doing. If you need nearfield which means closer listening distances and the best possible soundstage take 8351. If you need headroom for days and extention to 20Hz with also superb soundstage at midfield 8260 is the one to get.

I do use DSP and it makes a difference even in a great room. It transforms superb speakers into perfection. I have never been so confident mixing as with 8351. And I can listen to them for days without a hint of any fatigue. I can assure you you won't be sorry trying any of these.
Thanks mate.
If you saying I trust You, Thanks.
Old 8th June 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bit View Post
Hey Den,

Since you own the HS80 is there a big difference between HS80 and S30? What about translation? I've heard great things about HS80 although they are very cheap speakers.
Hi
The difference is huge.
Genelecs are premium tri amped monitors with D/A converters so cable do not matter or your sound card. Stereo image is outstanding, and the detail at different volumes too. Three way monitors from 36Hz to 48Khz ribbon tweeter. 5500$
Good for Mastering.
I worked with almost all Genelec models last 25 years of my freelance experience, but those Genelecs are different from many models.

1036 is the beast. That one is something really special, but I would need to invest 80 000 Euro into acoustic room treating if I decide to buy them. Working with them gives real impression. Specially in the chest when you slam them hard.

HS80 is good for finding resonances, and they are helpful to hear distortion in the preamp if you have such situations. I used to NS10M Studio, so I wanted to have something similar. However Avantone is doing good job when I want to control the mid's, or levels on one driver.
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Addict

I ordered the a set of 8351 with glm 2.0 kit! Very excited. Inwas doubting between these and the focal tro 6 Be. The Dsp implementation in my not so perfect and soon tonbe switched room made me chose the 8351. Also the reviews and compatisons by Jantex. Wil report my finding once they are in..
Old 14th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
I ordered the a set of 8351 with glm 2.0 kit! Very excited. Inwas doubting between these and the focal tro 6 Be. The Dsp implementation in my not so perfect and soon tonbe switched room made me chose the 8351. Also the reviews and compatisons by Jantex. Wil report my finding once they are in..
This will be your best audio related purchase, I can guarantee you. They are in another league compared to SM9 as far as accuracy and imaging are concerned, I tested them both thoroughly, so I suppose Trio should be even less of a competition (I haven't heard Trio, but simply have no need anymore to try any speaker after getting these.
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Addict

Thanks for your reports and comments on the 8351
Jantex. Im gonna hook them up using the aes/ebu output of my Apollo 16 ( which when clocked to my hedd 192 sound way more open, 3d and balanced than with the internal clock, big difference not subtle). Will report my findings as soon as they are in. Comming from a77x. Never used any room correction software..Really looking forward to use the Gennies. Gonna posiiton them landscape/horizontally on stands next to my small format d&r stylix studio console. Attached picture showing my a77x on those stands. A77x are sold last week. Again...very very excitec about getting the 8351 with the glm kit
Attached Thumbnails
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?-image_4071_0.jpg  

Last edited by Avantmidi; 14th June 2015 at 10:05 PM..
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

Congrats... Let us know how you feel about them (before and after room correction if possible!)
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Jantex. Im gonna hook them up using the aes/ebu output of my Apollo 16 ( which when clocked to my hedd 192 sound way more open, 3d and balanced than with the internal clock, big difference not subtle). Will report my findings as soon as they are in. Comming from a77x. Never used any room correction software..Really looking forward to use the Gennies. Gonna posiiton them landscape/horizontally on stands next to my small format d&r stylix studio console. Attached picture showing my a77x on those stands. A77x are sold last week. Again...very very excitec about getting the 8351 with the glm kit
any chance you could take measurements using rew before and after room correction ?
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Addict

Hi Guss, the glm 2.0 software shows you the curve before, correction applied and curve after. If you wish you can then go in deep and make manual adjustments yourself if desirable. Very simpel, very flexibel, very powerfull. Check the Genelec videos on youtube explaining SAM/GLM 2.0. This will clarify allot. Cheers Chris
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Maniac

When connecting the 8351 with aes cables, is there still the added latency? Is there a way to connect xlr , and bypass the conversion?

I like the idea of the 48khz conversion for woofer, and 96khz for the tweeter. These speakers seem really exciting.
Old 30th September 2015
Most fun mixing I've ever had was with a pair of genelec s30c's. If these new genelecs make mixing even more effortless they are worth every penny. Need to go check 'em out.
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear
Anyone who's been using these a while now - how's the translation ?
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
1036 is the beast. That one is something really special, but I would need to invest 80 000 Euro into acoustic room treating if I decide to buy them. Working with them gives real impression. Specially in the chest when you slam them hard.
This DSP technology is coming soon.
The 1234 is the first of the big monitors to be upgraded.
1235 & 1236 to follow.

Oh...the 8351 is indeed as 3D as I have ever heard.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear
One thing I was wondering - they are coaxial - most listening systems are not - might this cause translation problems, ie they might get you to design sound in a way that is compatable with other coaxial speakers rather than normal ones? Would love to hear from someone who's been working on these a while. They've just won the resolution audio awards - for me thats a high accolade indeed.....

Last edited by Gusss; 9th October 2015 at 08:33 PM..
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

I am having them now for more than half year. They are the best speakers I have ever worked with (and have had and worked with ATCs 20, 25, 50 and 150, Barefoots, Focals... and non of them worked nearly as well as a serious tool for critical work). They translate flawlessly every time. They are IMHO the flattest and most accurate speakers there are with the best imaging. Mixing is simple because what you hear is what you get.

They don't get 1% hype they deserve. But resolution award definitely means something (didn't know they received it but I expected it somehow). They have truely scientific approach to testing and Genelecs are usually the best speakers with the most credible data and measurements that actually hold true, apart from other brands which post biased data for the marketing reasons which then ger revealed in Resolution's tests.

Maybe I sound biased but you are nore than welcome to come to my studio and mix with them. I can guarantee you perfect results without any adjustment period.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I am having them now for more than half year. They are the best speakers I have ever worked with (and have had and worked with ATCs 20, 25, 50 and 150, Barefoots, Focals... and non of them worked nearly as well as a serious tool for critical work). They translate flawlessly every time. They are IMHO the flattest and most accurate speakers there are with the best imaging. Mixing is simple because what you hear is what you get.

They don't get 1% hype they deserve. But resolution award definitely means something (didn't know they received it but I expected it somehow). They have truely scientific approach to testing and Genelecs are usually the best speakers with the most credible data and measurements that actually hold true, apart from other brands which post biased data for the marketing reasons which then ger revealed in Resolution's tests.

Maybe I sound biased but you are nore than welcome to come to my studio and mix with them. I can guarantee you perfect results without any adjustment period.
No thats kind of what I expected. I have great respect for resolution - and besides they reviewed the older brother of the 8351 - the genelec 8260a as having quite a slow bass response and slower decay times at low frequencies. I trust resolution and if this monitor won I cant wait to see the measurements.... Im guessing their room correction software is useful as well - is purely frequency based or does it correct time based room problems as well ?
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear
Anyone else have any reports ?
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Addict

The 8351 with GLM are the best monitors I ever used. They will receive all the awards until something better comes out.
I'm sure it will take some time before the majority is convinced. They are not cheap. Nevertheless very much worth every cent.
Truly next level revolutionary. Not comparable with anything before if you ask me.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
The 8351 with GLM are the best monitors I ever used. They will receive all the awards until something better comes out.
I'm sure it will take some time before the majority is convinced. They are not cheap. Nevertheless very much worth every cent.
Truly next level revolutionary. Not comparable with anything before if you ask me.
Did you ab them with anything ? I'm assuming translation is good ?
Old 29th October 2015
Quote:
Hi Avant, these speakers are on my (very) short list. Especially would like to know if you were able to feed them with a digital signal? And how you managed to hook them up this way (signal chain from DAW out would be welcome Do you hear any difference feeding them digital verses analog audio?

Would love to hear more news!
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Head

I'm looking into the 8351A as well. Would love to hear the AES/EBU vs Analogue input too. Very curious.
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Guru

They look amazing! Hefty price tag that goes along with that of course.. They remind me a bit of the Geithan approach. Been thinking about upgrading to something better from my Focal Solo6/Sub6 system and this will definably be a consideration.
Old 24th November 2015
Gear Addict

Still very happy with my 8351's+GLM2.0
Driving them via AES/EBU from my UAD Apollo 16. Perfect combo. Volume control on the apollo works great.
They sound stunning and translate very very well. The amount of dry articulate low end is great. The midrange is terrific.
These are however true NEARfields. This is the way they are designed.
So I think people who think the 8351 are not loud enough must use them in a Midfieldish setup. Mine are 1.80 cm appart. So i'm sitting in a 1.80 cm triangle.
Plenty loud. Also beware. The level of distortion is so low that one might be fooled concerning the actual volume being put out. Be careful with your ears! Couldn't be happier.
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

Btw...the 1236 SAM was just introduced at AES NY.
They were impressive even before DSP room correction

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search