The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?
Old 4th October 2020
  #901
Lives for gear
 
duckoff's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I actually had a very similar experience. I had Event Opals on isoacoustic stands on my desk which I replaced with 8351Bs. They sounded harsh and very very fatiguing and for a short while I thought “oh dear, this might have been an expensive mistake”.

Tweaked the placement, put them on heavy stands and BAM - stunning.
For me the most important thing with the 8351s is that once you shoot your room and the GLM is cutting a load of low frequencies it leaves the top end overpowering (same with Sonarworks etc etc) - I found a gentle tilt down from around 1kHz fixed everything. (I think in most non ideal situations monitors end up sounding bass heavy so when you hear them flat they feel too bright / bass light)
Old 4th October 2020
  #902
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
When you are shooting the room make sure each speaker gets different treatment. What the harshness sounds like to me is phase issue. Or like you said maybe extreme low end issue which is causing the harsh areas that exist in every speaker to poke out more. After all, you’re room is determining what GLM is doing not genelec, or GLM. You probably already know this by now.

Last edited by JblKid95; 19th November 2020 at 10:51 AM..
Old 5th October 2020
  #903
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
How much of an upgrade is the 8351 vs the 8050?
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
  #904
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I’m very interested in checking the 8351s out, on my shortlist. When working/producing/composing on these speakers with virtual instruments, during fast playing and high tempos, does the latency become noticeable (akin to increased buffer sizes)?
Old 5th October 2020
  #905
Lives for gear
 
duckoff's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
When working/producing/composing on these speakers with virtual instruments, during fast playing and high tempos, does the latency become noticeable
Am pretty sensitive to this and have never noticed it, it's actually never even crossed my mind tbh.

(am going digital into them but didn't notice it using analog either)
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
  #906
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
Am pretty sensitive to this and have never noticed it, it's actually never even crossed my mind tbh.

(am going digital into them but didn't notice it using analog either)
Same here. Using analog for composing with plenty of virtual instruments and the latency is unnoticeable.
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
  #907
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Good to hear, thank you both. Definitely something that I'm sensitive to as well, with piano performance feeling 'gummy' if there's too much in there. I've tried simulating this in my DAW, and adding 3 ms while playing fast-as-possible piano introduced a felt difference, depending on the starting point buffer size, but maybe DAW latency feels different than speaker latency.
Old 5th October 2020
  #908
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Working with them more and more I think the 8351b depth is perfect. To the Milisecond
Old 2nd December 2020
  #909
Here for the gear
 
Is anyone else having trouble to get mixes to translate with 8351? I have had them for about 2 years now I really don't like mixing on them but I can't put my finger on why really. Maybe they are too analytical? I feel they are kind of boring to produce and mix on.

Thinking about selling the 8351s and try my luck with Amphion or PSI Audio instead.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #910
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honken91 View Post
Is anyone else having trouble to get mixes to translate with 8351? I have had them for about 2 years now I really don't like mixing on them but I can't put my finger on why really. Maybe they are too analytical? I feel they are kind of boring to produce and mix on.

Thinking about selling the 8351s and try my luck with Amphion or PSI Audio instead.
Try ATC if you want less analytical sound but I doubt they'll be a better tool than the Genelecs, the "boring" sound is a Good thing.
Old 2nd December 2020
  #911
Lives for gear
 
duckoff's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is anyone else having trouble to get mixes to translate with 8351?
Quite the opposite tbh, I don't even bother checking mixes on a 2nd set any more....

Obvs its totally subjective
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #912
Lives for gear
 
vsthalion's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I almost sold my barefoot footprint 01 to buy these but, after renting them for a month I found them too clinical and kinda boring like u said. Although the stereo imaging is INCREDIBLE!!i guess you really have to get used to them to really get familiar with them. The barefoots are just so fun to produce on and mix that I decided the barefoots were way better for my style and needs. If you don’t like the genelec, try renting the barefoots for a week... you will love them.

**another thing that was great on the genelec when I had them was, you can hear .2 db changes on eq and, any tiny moves you make!**
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honken91 View Post
Is anyone else having trouble to get mixes to translate with 8351? I have had them for about 2 years now I really don't like mixing on them but I can't put my finger on why really. Maybe they are too analytical? I feel they are kind of boring to produce and mix on.

Thinking about selling the 8351s and try my luck with Amphion or PSI Audio instead.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #913
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I almost sold my barefoot footprint 01 to buy these but, after renting them for a month I found them too clinical and kinda boring like u said. Although the stereo imaging is INCREDIBLE!!i guess you really have to get used to them to really get familiar with them. The barefoots are just so fun to produce on and mix that I decided the barefoots were way better for my style and needs. If you don’t like the genelec, try renting the barefoots for a week... you will love them.

**another thing that was great on the genelec when I had them was, you can hear .2 db changes on eq and, any tiny moves you make!**
Cheers
How do they compare bass output and SPL wise? Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #914
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor noob View Post
How do they compare bass output and SPL wise? Thanks
There is not that much of a difference, especially if you compare the prices.
Old 7th December 2020
  #915
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Someone chime in who’s heard Direct comparison between the 8351b And the 8350. @ vsthalion was this with the A Or B
@ Honken91 listened to A mix in a Uber. I decided I wasnt listening to the genelecs enough. Mix sounded great but the genelecs were telling me tht I had too much reverb on my main instruments. First thing I noticed in the uber Was the reverb. My 808 couldn’t have sounded Any better. Everything was perfect.
I am using plug-ins like rcompressor A lot more instead of the eQ now. Thinking bout returning Slate VSX. Very good tool But too many cooks in the kitchen feel. I was getting to a point where both perspectives weren’t necessarily wrong And just creating more right choices when I only need one. Currently working on the Bs. Started getting the best results when I Change monitoring From 55 to60db Volume setting on glm. That’s about 70 DB not more. My listening position is pretty close so anything above 80 is too much power to understand in the lower end. It was a revelation when I found out that listening at that level for me produced more accurate bass, not just accurate but Spot on. I probably should’ve gone to 8341

Last edited by JblKid95; 9th December 2020 at 12:18 AM..
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
  #916
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispire View Post
I actually had a very similar experience. I had Event Opals on isoacoustic stands on my desk which I replaced with 8351Bs. They sounded harsh and very very fatiguing and for a short while I thought “oh dear, this might have been an expensive mistake”.

Tweaked the placement, put them on heavy stands and BAM - stunning.
Exact same story and succession of feelings with my 8351B and 7360.
The difference between first days and the current result is such that I wonder sometimes whether burn-in played a role (I know genelec answer is no), not only playing with placement and GLM, including sound profiler.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #917
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
does anyone know how to save GLM 3 Settings and transfer it to version 4?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #918
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Install GLM 4

After installing GLM4, File/Import GLM3 Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
does anyone know how to save GLM 3 Settings and transfer it to version 4?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #919
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
is that file in setup flies/ I'd like to archive it before installing GLM4
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #920
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
On my PC, GLM 3 remains installed and is located:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Genelec/GLMv3/Setup Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
is that file in setup flies/ I'd like to archive it before installing GLM4
Old 4 weeks ago
  #921
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks @ StevenLMorgan

Anyone know why AMT tweeter aren't widely used in hifi or immersive setups like dome and metal tweeters?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #922
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hey guys,

I have been offered a pair of lightly used 8351a's for exactly the half price than the 8351b's.
I am wondering which path would you take.
Are the B's worth double price?

I don't have an opportunity to listen both.

Thanks,
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #923
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
 
13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Do it
Old 2 weeks ago
  #924
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
A heads up.... if GLM 4 keeps crashing, swap to a different USB port. I had this problem.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #925
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
A heads up.... if GLM 4 keeps crashing, swap to a different USB port. I had this problem.
what system are you on? in the end I opted not to upgrade. Theres not a lot of info on why my particular setup would need an update. Maybe next shoot. I shot four listening positions, but I've heard one shoot might be the better option. Different settings on each side of course
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 8727 views: 1317801
Avatar for ashmundo
ashmundo 28 minutes ago
replies: 11 views: 1694
Avatar for Zalodine
Zalodine 25th October 2016
replies: 335 views: 61884
Avatar for elambo
elambo 24th September 2020
replies: 4 views: 1195
Avatar for domus
domus 2nd August 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump