The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Yes, the 8351B comes with metallic speaker grills. It's not an option.
You mean the flat surface in the front is actually a metallic grill to protect the drivers behind? Wow. Cool design.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFilms View Post
You mean the flat surface in the front is actually a metallic grill to protect the drivers behind? Wow. Cool design.
The woofers are behind the metal plate. The steal mesh is tiny, but is present to protect the tweeter. Yes, it looks like a piece of science fiction.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The woofers are behind the metal plate. The steal mesh is tiny, but is present to protect the tweeter. Yes, it looks like a piece of science fiction.
When I first saw The Ones a few years ago I hated them. I thought they looked like a cat’s bum. Over time my perspective flipped 180 degrees and I grew to love their look. I recently purchased a pair of 8351Bs (my first Genelecs ever). They look great and sound amaaaazing.

My cats approve of them too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispire View Post
When I first saw The Ones a few years ago I hated them. I thought they looked like a cat’s bum. Over time my perspective flipped 180 degrees and I grew to love their look. I recently purchased a pair of 8351Bs (my first Genelecs ever). They look great and sound amaaaazing.

I think what you talk about («I grew to love their look») is what’s called an acquired taste. Adult humans are stubbornly slow to adapt to changes. We see and hear what we expect to see and hear. So when we see something new, or hear a «new sound», we often need time to «acquire», reach out to the new look and sound to process it. Genelec speakers often look different. They also sound a bit different than many if not most other speakers. Still, Genelec win design prizes for their engineering, and design conscious Apple has started using Genelec speakers when introducing new Macs. Genelec’s measurements are second to none (probably world’s best), so what one hears and what sounds different is probably due to lack of artefacts that adult humans have grown used to.

Congratulations on your 8351Bs!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Congratulations! Which stands are you using? Pics of setup help too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi. Could you confirm if 8351B comes with speaker grills? Or would you suggest any 3rd party grills to protect the speakers from kids?

Quote:
Yes, the 8351B comes with metallic speaker grills. It's not an option.
Sorry but I have to correct this. The tweeter in the middle of the coaxial driver has a protective grille but the midrange cone (made from aluminium) is visible and accessible without a protective grille. It should not be touched with fingers or any other objects as the cone is really thin and can be dented or scratched. Kids and cats do not go well along with it. There are no 3rd party grilles we could suggest as the mechanical fixing would be really difficult to handle. Your best bet is to make them non-accessible to poking fingers and such.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
Sorry but I have to correct this. The tweeter in the middle of the coaxial driver has a protective grille but the midrange cone (made from aluminium) is visible and accessible without a protective grille. It should not be touched with fingers or any other objects as the cone is really thin and can be dented or scratched. Kids and cats do not go well along with it. There are no 3rd party grilles we could suggest as the mechanical fixing would be really difficult to handle. Your best bet is to make them non-accessible to poking fingers and such.
Thanks for correcting my post! All apologies if my posts were misleading on your product.

As a side note - I wouldn't necessarily have kids around high-end monitors period unless supervised. Mine are mounted high and away from the desk (via an Argosy Halo desk), so they can't get at them.

Ergonomics (proper furniture) and studio security are as important as anything else. The furniture portion (IMO) is grossly overlooked. It's insane - the amount of people that spend tens of thousands of dollars on gear and place it on inappropriate desks and stands. I stress "inappropriate" as proper setup doesn't necessarily need to be expensive with some time and effort!

-Phil
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Congratulations! Which stands are you using? Pics of setup help too.
I made some stands using leftover cypress posts and concrete blocks for the top and bottom. New studio - work in progress.

I’ve had the 8351B for 8 weeks. Until a week ago they were on my desk on Isoacoustic stands. Moving them onto dedicated stands, 300mm further back and 200mm wider apart caused a huge improvement. Finally they came alive. Imaging is razor sharp and the phantom centre is like nothing I’ve heard before. I had a guest in the studio and he asked me if there was a third speaker inside the computer monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?-20f0313c-1b40-4740-b363-bb9b7cfc7da1.jpg  

Last edited by chrispire; 1 week ago at 09:50 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I made some stands using leftover cypress posts and concrete blocks for the top and bottom. New studio - work in progress.

I’ve had the 8351B them for 8 weeks. Until a week ago they were on my desk on Isoacoustic stands. Moving them onto dedicated stands, 300mm further back and 200mm wider apart caused a huge improvement. Finally they came alive. Imaging is razor sharp and the phantom centre is like nothing I’ve heard before. I had a guest in the studio and he asked me if there was a third speaker inside the computer monitor.
Just curious, how tall a person are you? Because, no matter how small a table stand or how short a floor stand I consider buying, 8351B's coaxis level can be at my ear level only when they are placed on the table without a stand. I measured, 1050mm to 1200mm from ground level is the range of height my ears move up and down in depending on how erect or stooped my sitting posture is. And 8000-400 Genelec Design stand (K&M 26785-018-56) is the only ideal option (1100mm to 1700mm / coaxis level height from ground) among the 5 stands recommended on Genelec's accessory brochure. And it's a rather expensive one at $650 a pair without much forum talk about them. And I see lot of people using table stands like yours and I was wondering how come the such a height as that of your own stand (1500mm from ground?) is working for people of average height at 5'5" to 6ft (1800mm).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just curious, how tall a person are you? Because, no matter how small a table stand or how short a floor stand I consider buying, 8351B's coaxis level can be at my ear level only when they are placed on the table without a stand. I measured, 1050mm to 1200mm from ground level is the range of height my ears move up and down in depending on how erect or stooped my sitting posture is. And 8000-400 Genelec Design stand (K&M 26785-018-56) is the only ideal option (1100mm to 1700mm / coaxis level height from ground) among the 5 stands recommended on Genelec's accessory brochure. And it's a rather expensive one at $650 a pair without much forum talk about them. And I see lot of people using table stands like yours and I was wondering how come the such a height as that of your own stand (1500mm from ground?) is working for people of average height at 5'5" to 6ft (1800mm).
I’m taller than average at 6’3” and my desk is lower than average so I needed to lift the monitors up to bring them to ear height. Using Isoacoustics stands (which have height adjustment) made this easy.

However, for my room (which is 45 sqm) having them on the desk did not bring out their best. They were only 1.1m away from me and 1.2m apart. Moving them onto stands, further back and a little wider, was a fantastic adjustment. I can’t say enough how much of a difference this made. With this in mind, I would caution against the use of desktop stands. Monitor positioning is important, more so with these coaxial monitors than any others monitors I’ve used, so what happens if the best position for your monitors is not on your desk?

My stands are actually a little too high, but the 8351s come with feet that allow them to be tilted down a little bit, so they are pointed right at my ears now.

Perhaps some custom made stands are what you need.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I’m taller than average at 6’3” and my desk is lower than average so I needed to lift the monitors up to bring them to ear height. Using Isoacoustics stands (which have height adjustment) made this easy.

However, for my room (which is 45 sqm) having them on the desk did not bring out their best. They were only 1.1m away from me and 1.2m apart. Moving them onto stands, further back and a little wider, was a fantastic adjustment. I can’t say enough how much of a difference this made. With this in mind, I would caution against the use of desktop stands. Monitor positioning is important, more so with these coaxial monitors than any others monitors I’ve used, so what happens if the best position for your monitors is not on your desk?

My stands are actually a little too high, but the 8351s come with feet that allow them to be tilted down a little bit, so they are pointed right at my ears now.

Perhaps some custom made stands are what you need.
Thank you very much. Me too. I am 6ft and use a very low chair and low table.

I was thinking 1m-1.25m might be the ideal distance from ears to monitor for 8351B as per Genelec page for both 'low volume monitoring' and to be within 'critical distance for direct sound dominance'. Could someone tell me if I am wrong and suggest a different distance?

https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors
Attached Thumbnails
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?-direct_sound_dominance.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Mine were at 1.1m distance. Now they are 1.4m away and 1.4m apart and this is way better in my room. YMMV in your own room. I’m sure there is plenty of wiggle room but this is something you really have to experiment with in your own space.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
when i first saw the ones a few years ago i hated them. I thought they looked like a cat’s bum.
hilarious
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi. Newbie here. Need recommendations.

My 8351Bs can't leave studio. And 8341s can be a little bit too big for a one-man-team travel. Could you suggest a pair of much smaller monitors, Genelec or others, that that can be carried in a daily laptop backpack or two backpacks or one check-in/carry-on suitcase? (Preferably the kind of pair that can be later induced into 5.1 with a 3rd unit of the same kind, along with the main 8351B pair and a subwoofer - but 5.1 is not the goal, as of now).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:

My 8351Bs can't leave studio. And 8341s can be a little bit too big for a one-man-team travel. Could you suggest a pair of much smaller monitors, Genelec or others, that that can be carried in a daily laptop backpack or two backpacks or one check-in/carry-on suitcase? (Preferably the kind of pair that can be later induced into 5.1 with a 3rd unit of the same kind, along with the main 8351B pair and a subwoofer - but 5.1 is not the goal, as of now).
There's nothing that small remotely good. Buy headphones.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

https://www.genelec.com/accessories/...-pcs-8x30/8331

How about this? 8331 is the smallest of the Ones range and we offer durable yet light case for travelling and demonstrations. 15 lb/each + case.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchcube View Post
There's nothing that small remotely good. Buy headphones.
Thank you but mixing using headphones is like reading an entire Anna Kerenina published in fine print. Seasoned mixing engineers might be able to do a 80% near good mix on headphones on the go first and then do their 100% on monitors later in studio but I am just two-film-old when it comes to sound post-production with me handling only writing, directing and editing on my films before that. So, I may have to pick portable monitors in addition to headphones too.

Could someone suggest a good pair of closed-back headphones for mixing and monitoring and mastering with near flat frequency response while the studio monitors still remain the first ones on which actual job is done? I admire the way Focal engineers extended the the tech in their monitors, Beryllium inverted tweeters, in particular, to start making headphones that are so close to neutrality in FR graphs and pair so well with their studio monitors. Karl Heinz, after leaving Adam, too extended his AMT tech that he used in his Hedd monitors to start making Heddphone that seem to be a good attempt. I wonder why Genelec can't extend its own experience and tech to make studio headphones. When you can make 8010 with 3" woofers, why not a pair of studio headphones with 40mm drivers?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
https://www.genelec.com/accessories/...-pcs-8x30/8331

How about this? 8331 is the smallest of the Ones range and we offer durable yet light case for travelling and demonstrations. 15 lb/each + case.
8331 is very tempting, yes. Thank you. So much in so small a size is indeed stunning. Light travel case for it too is very helpful. I was wondering why the official PeliCase 51 meant for 8351B needs to be so expensive at $1100 USD as a New York distributor quoted. Surely after paying $3990 USD for each 8351B, the customer can be allowed to have a hard travel case for under $400?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I admire the way Focal engineers extended the the tech in their monitors, Beryllium inverted tweeters, in particular, to start making headphones that are so close to neutrality in FR graphs and pair so well with their studio monitors.
Sorry to be off topic here, but Focal already did manage to make some fantastic headphones. I own the Elegia and the Clear, if that means anything, and they both sound incredible. Also the T5p gen2 is amazing as well. These headphones have angled drivers that are decentralised, giving a more 3D to the sound but only if the recordings are good (ie. not hard panning and mixed well). Headphones like these tend to make bad recordings sound bad. So yes, they are useful for mixing, but should not be the only thing used.

Use monitors if you can, but the above headphones are really good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

while the 8331 does keep the 3D image & tuning i feel that what makes it attractive as your small portable system leaves it lacking as 5.1...unless it is surrournd only.
Tho its small size facilitates very close monitoring...but when employed in a 5.1 system the additional distance may find the output to be lacking.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
while the 8331 does keep the 3D image & tuning i feel that what makes it attractive as your small portable system leaves it lacking as 5.1...unless it is surrournd only.
Tho its small size facilitates very close monitoring...but when employed in a 5.1 system the additional distance may find the output to be lacking.
Thank you for the input. I am considering 8331 for both portable stereo use as well as within studio 5.1 (with 8351B) since no cheaper alternatives have been suggested here that could integrate well. You think the 8331's output might be not ideal enough even when placed within 1m of distance in 5.1 set up with 8351Bs remaining the main monitors? I have never worked in 5.1 setup and not sure of how the ideal setup w.r.t distance should be achieved.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

yes...i fear the output wont keep up with the 8351's...but depends on program & monitor level. As a general rule. when budget or size prohibits 5 identical speakers...i think dropping one model size is best.
8050...8040 surrounds.. 8341...8331 surrounds...8351...8341 surrounds

Last edited by MIKEHARRIS; 1 week ago at 01:39 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth View Post
It all depends on your room and how it responds to different speakers of course - I tried a pair of 8351As and in the end settled with 8341As and a 7350A subwoofer.

I found the bottom end is much more controllable in my room with this setup.

Cannot speak highly enough for The Ones and the GLM system - translation is absolutely insane ... they're a joy to work on.
Exact same setup... Exact same feeling !!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I'm selling my Genelec 8351Bs including GLM 3, 9310AM Volume Control and K&M stands. PM me if interested.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
8331 is very tempting, yes. Thank you. So much in so small a size is indeed stunning. Light travel case for it too is very helpful. I was wondering why the official PeliCase 51 meant for 8351B needs to be so expensive at $1100 USD as a New York distributor quoted. Surely after paying $3990 USD for each 8351B, the customer can be allowed to have a hard travel case for under $400?

Paying $1,100 for Pelican Air 1637 with Genelec logo and a custom laser cut insert is outrageous!

You can buy the same case with a Pick ‘N Pluck foam insert on Amazon or B&H for $318, then patiently remove some of the foam blocks and fashion two cavities for a pair of speakers or one cavity for a 8351. That’s what I did.

Sure, the Genelec version proudly advertises their name and comes with a better fitting insert that could maintain its shape longer. But do I care enough to pay $800 premium? Hell no!

Sundry points:

(1)
A single 8451 requires a Pelican Air 1637
A pair of 8341 also takes a Pelican Air 1637
Pelican 1607 is big enough for a pair of 8331

(2)
Checking in 8341 x 2 inside a 1637 on a flight will incur an overweight fee, as the combined weight exceeds 25kg
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoveringBit View Post
Paying $1,100 for Pelican Air 1637 with Genelec logo and a custom laser cut insert is outrageous!

You can buy the same case with a Pick ‘N Pluck foam insert on Amazon or B&H for $318, then patiently remove some of the foam blocks and fashion two cavities for a pair of speakers or one cavity for a 8351. That’s what I did.

Sure, the Genelec version proudly advertises their name and comes with a better fitting insert that could maintain its shape longer. But do I care enough to pay the $800 premium? Hell no!

Sundry points:

(1)
A single 8451 requires a Pelican Air 1637
A pair of 8341 also takes a Pelican Air 1637
Pelican 1607 is big enough for a pair of 8331

(2)
Checking in a on a 8341 x 2 + 1637 on a flight will incur an overweight fee as the combined weight is over 25kg

Got it. Thank you. Big savings!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search