The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these?
Old 19th May 2019
  #361
Lives for gear
 
Gravity8058's Avatar
 

My room was purpose build and sounds really good- the GLM/ 8351 combo (along with GLM Subwoofer) takes my 90% Acura year room and makes it 97%. That’s easily worthwhile
Old 21st May 2019
  #362
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Once you get to the larger midfields and farfields, the room really needs to be designed around them. That’s the only way that will work.

Buying a set of speakers like the 8351’s and have the software iron out the kinks is the most realistic option for anybody who isn’t purposely building a control room or listening environment.
Sorry to say but that only likely applies to the higher midrange say 400Hz and above.

Anything below 400Hz is going to need at least some rudimentary acoustic treatment - a cloud, front wall broadband absorbers, side wall absorbers and even some backwall absorbers. Depending on how severe the dips are, you might even benefit from some bass traps. They won't need to be huge or perfect but they will need to absorb at least some energy between 60-200Hz to get the most benefit.

That said, I do keep hearing that these new coaxial Genelecs are not as much room dependent as midfields that put out consistently high dBs. They are what I call ultra nearfields. You can set up a 60cm (~2ft) equilateral triangle and still experience the incredible depth of the stereo image, with the bass still being rather powerful and tight. You sure as hell cannot do that with midfields or even most nearfields

Recommended eq. triangle is ~60-200cm.

Last edited by barbital; 21st May 2019 at 08:25 AM..
Old 21st May 2019
  #363
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Sorry to say but that only likely applies to the higher midrange say 400Hz and above.

Anything below 400Hz is going to need at least some rudimentary acoustic treatment - a cloud, front wall broadband absorbers, side wall absorbers and even some backwall absorbers. Depending on how severe the dips are, you might even benefit from some bass traps. They won't need to be huge or perfect but they will need to absorb at least some energy between 60-200Hz to get the most benefit.

That said, I do keep hearing that these new coaxial Genelecs are not as much room dependent as midfields that put out consistently high dBs. They are what I call ultra nearfields. You can set up a 60cm (~2ft) equilateral triangle and still experience the incredible depth of the stereo image, with the bass still being rather powerful and tight. You sure as hell cannot do that with midfields or even most nearfields

Recommended eq. triangle is ~60-120cm.
See page 16 in this publication on recommended distance from the coaxials (and other Genelec monitors):

https://www.genelec.com/sites/defaul...0806_web_0.pdf

Critical distance of all the coaxials extend to a bit over 2 meters.
Old 21st May 2019
  #364
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
See page 16 in this publication on recommended distance from the coaxials (and other Genelec monitors):

https://www.genelec.com/sites/defaul...0806_web_0.pdf

Critical distance of all the coaxials extend to a bit over 2 meters.
I stand corrected on this point...but no one can tell me that room treatment isn't necessary.
Old 21st May 2019
  #365
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Sorry to say but that only likely applies to the higher midrange say 400Hz and above.

Anything below 400Hz is going to need at least some rudimentary acoustic treatment - a cloud, front wall broadband absorbers, side wall absorbers and even some backwall absorbers. Depending on how severe the dips are, you might even benefit from some bass traps. They won't need to be huge or perfect but they will need to absorb at least some energy between 60-200Hz to get the most benefit.

That said, I do keep hearing that these new coaxial Genelecs are not as much room dependent as midfields that put out consistently high dBs. They are what I call ultra nearfields. You can set up a 60cm (~2ft) equilateral triangle and still experience the incredible depth of the stereo image, with the bass still being rather powerful and tight. You sure as hell cannot do that with midfields or even most nearfields

Recommended eq. triangle is ~60-200cm.

? How does that pertain to anything I said?
Old 21st May 2019
  #366
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
? How does that pertain to anything I said?
It doesn't. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #367
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Hey All-

I have a 14X13 ft room which obviously isnt an ideal dimension for a space. Would the 8341 be a good fit for this room size? I'd be upgrading from my Focal Twins which are fine in here but just need a change of pace monitor wise. Also - Any one else here upgrade from the Twins to the Ones?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #368
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

I never owned Twins (only Solos), but worked on them in various studios. There is no comparison, really. The only things Twins can do compared to 8341s is that they can get seriously loud. Apart from that 8341s are better in every single way. Twins sound like a phase mess compared to The Ones and their tonality in not very balanced and neutral. The Ones are as transparent as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Hey All-

I have a 14X13 ft room which obviously isnt an ideal dimension for a space. Would the 8341 be a good fit for this room size? I'd be upgrading from my Focal Twins which are fine in here but just need a change of pace monitor wise. Also - Any one else here upgrade from the Twins to the Ones?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #369
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I never owned Twins (only Solos), but worked on them in various studios. There is no comparison, really. The only things Twins can do compared to 8341s is that they can get seriously loud. Apart from that 8341s are better in every single way. Twins sound like a phase mess compared to The Ones and their tonality in not very balanced and neutral. The Ones are as transparent as it gets.
Wow. Okay that's it...I'm getting a demo pair and checking them out. You said you'd recommend the GLM correct?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #370
Gear Head
 

GLM: Proceed at your own risk

Shaggy:

Have recently purchased the GLM software and can tell you that it does not provide meaningful room correction. The architecture of the product is faulty -- it only has 6 operative filters and they are all attenuation ones. Have dealt with Genelec reps and passed on suggestions for improvement. This was an unpleasant process.

Proceed at your own risk. The 8351s are great but GLM is worthless -- too light to be a paperweight, too insubstantial to serve as a doorstop, and for my purposes a $600 volume control.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #371
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
Shaggy:

Have recently purchased the GLM software and can tell you that it does not provide meaningful room correction. The architecture of the product is faulty -- it only has 6 operative filters and they are all attenuation ones. Have dealt with Genelec reps and passed on suggestions for improvement. This was an unpleasant process.

Proceed at your own risk. The 8351s are great but GLM is worthless -- too light to be a paperweight, too insubstantial to serve as a doorstop, and for my purposes a $600 volume control.
Correction - Shaggy is looking at the 8341's and they have 16 notch filters + shelving filters.

I have the 8341's and they are stunning. The GLM calibration process takes an already sharp knife and sharpens it so the system can cut glass.

My studio is a semi-treated spare bedroom and unfortunately stuff (boxes, equipment, just plain stuff) comes in an out of the room all the time as my wife likes to use it for a little extra storage. Put of few boxes in there in the right (or wrong) place and the phase coherency is thrown off and the knife gets a little duller. I just re-calibrate with GLM and in 1 minute I'm back to cutting glass. The difference GLM makes an't subtle.

I would have to confirm with a Genelec tech, but watching the GLM work up its notch points it seems to mitigate nulls by dropping all the other frequencies. Trading some headroom I suppose for a flatter freq response.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #372
Gear Head
 

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Correction - Shaggy is looking at the 8341's and they have 16 notch filters + shelving filters.

I have the 8341's and they are stunning. The GLM calibration process takes an already sharp knife and sharpens it so the system can cut glass.

My studio is a semi-treated spare bedroom and unfortunately stuff (boxes, equipment, just plain stuff) comes in an out of the room all the time as my wife likes to use it for a little extra storage. Put of few boxes in there in the right (or wrong) place and the phase coherency is thrown off and the knife gets a little duller. I just re-calibrate with GLM and in 1 minute I'm back to cutting glass. The difference GLM makes an't subtle.

I would have to confirm with a Genelec tech, but watching the GLM work up its notch points it seems to mitigate nulls by dropping all the other frequencies. Trading some headroom I suppose for a flatter freq response.
Interesting that the 8341s have increased the number of filters. This is one way to approach the problem the 8351s exhibit.
Otherwise, it is simple to alter GLM so it can accept a convolution file from another source. Have suggested this to Genelec. A stereo *.wav convolution file generated in REW is significantly more accurate than anything the 8351 GLM can produce. Most importantly, it also corrects Impulse response. And this file would require no additional filters in the monitor -- it just has to be placed like a plugin between the incoming signal and amplification.
Does the new GLM in the 8341 correct Impulse response?
AND if you mean it is the monitor that is "an already sharp knife" then I concur -- my 8351s measured the best I have ever seen when checked with REW. They require little correction outside of room deviation.
AND, as should be stressed even more, the 8351s are time aligned -- all 3 of the drivers share the same source point. This has tremendous potential, especially if the impulse energy is corrected.
HOWEVER, as noted by other reviewers and myself, GLM/8351 makes no difference in the sound in my studio and the adjustments shown are inconsequential.
This thread will provide helpful information to potential buyers (such as myself) if the various GLM options are detailed.
Have all of the new models been redesigned with additional filters?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
Shaggy:

Have recently purchased the GLM software and can tell you that it does not provide meaningful room correction. The architecture of the product is faulty -- it only has 6 operative filters and they are all attenuation ones. Have dealt with Genelec reps and passed on suggestions for improvement. This was an unpleasant process.

Proceed at your own risk. The 8351s are great but GLM is worthless -- too light to be a paperweight, too insubstantial to serve as a doorstop, and for my purposes a $600 volume control.
Disagree 100%. You're the first person I've heard say it hasn't helped, and you're obviously in the minority. Personally, I typically don't like correction software and never use it, with the exception of GLM. GLM definitely helps, no question at all. The biggest improvement I hear, which is very obvious, it that the imaging becomes much more 3D sounding. Everyone who has heard my 8351s in my studio has easily heard the difference as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #374
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
Have all of the new models been redesigned with additional filters?
The 8341's and 8331's have more EQ points. They are slightly newer speaker as they came out several months (maybe a year) after the 8351.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #375
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
Shaggy:

Have recently purchased the GLM software and can tell you that it does not provide meaningful room correction. The architecture of the product is faulty -- it only has 6 operative filters and they are all attenuation ones. Have dealt with Genelec reps and passed on suggestions for improvement. This was an unpleasant process.

Proceed at your own risk. The 8351s are great but GLM is worthless -- too light to be a paperweight, too insubstantial to serve as a doorstop, and for my purposes a $600 volume control.
You are obviously missing the point. GLM and AutoCal correction makes perfect sense. When you need more than 6 filters you should question your room not number of filters. GLM sounds better to me than all intrusive correction software that tries to deal with impulse correction. And I use only 5 filters in my GLM profile. Also not boosting dips and only cutting bumps makes perfect sense, as you don't want to compromise headroom of your loudspeakers and increase THD. This is much worse than having a slight dip in your response due to the SBIR or something.

Correcting impulse will compromise transient response in my experiences and I don't want this. When you have great room with controlled reflections and appropriate speaker setup you don't need any impulse correction. And any impulse response correction will require additional latency which is a total no go for professional monitors.

So, GLM is not pointless at all. It is actually executed just the way digital response correction should be without trying to overdo anything.

8341 are newer speakers and they have more powerful DSP chip. But this doesn't dictate the performance. As mentioned, as few filters you use and need, the better the sound will be.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #376
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
The 8341's and 8331's have more EQ points. They are slightly newer speaker as they came out several months (maybe a year) after the 8351.
They were released two years after 8351 to be exact.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #377
Lives for gear
 
duckoff's Avatar
 

Quote:
GLM: Proceed at your own risk
Shaggy:

Have recently purchased the GLM software and can tell you that it does not provide meaningful room correction. The architecture of the product is faulty -- it only has 6 operative filters and they are all attenuation ones. Have dealt with Genelec reps and passed on suggestions for improvement. This was an unpleasant process.

Proceed at your own risk. The 8351s are great but GLM is worthless -- too light to be a paperweight, too insubstantial to serve as a doorstop, and for my purposes a $600 volume control.
I have to respectfully disagree on this - I was a long time Sonarworks & REW user & the beauty of GLM is its simplicity & lightness of touch.
Its not trying to completely flatten every part of the response (which often creates new problems) its trying to use the minimum amount of processing to create the maximum improvement in the most troublesome area.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #378
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Note..Genelec dealers usually have a GLM available to loan to customers. Use it and decide if you need to own it.

On another point...I wish Genelec would have continued the ‘ones’ concept in a 8361 maybe using 4 of the 8351 woofers..not the separate woofer in the 8260
Old 4 weeks ago
  #379
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

If the 8351s are fairly flat to ~32Hz I see little point in increasing the LFE when a well placed sub or stereo sub can provide output at higher dB.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #380
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
Shaggy:

Have recently purchased the GLM software and can tell you that it does not provide meaningful room correction. The architecture of the product is faulty -- it only has 6 operative filters and they are all attenuation ones. Have dealt with Genelec reps and passed on suggestions for improvement. This was an unpleasant process.

Proceed at your own risk. The 8351s are great but GLM is worthless -- too light to be a paperweight, too insubstantial to serve as a doorstop, and for my purposes a $600 volume control.
@ CraigL ,

the GLM software makes the strongest room compensations in the lower frequencies. Sean Olive claims that about a third of people’s perceived sound quality in speakers comes from the bass factor, see (1) and (2):

(1) http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=12794
(2) http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=12847

So there is some evidence that a special focus should be on the lower frequencies, as GLM does.

I have never come across people who advocate boosting nulls in the lower frequencies to flatten the frequency curve, so you are in the vast minority obviously if you want to take out deep low frequency dips.

GLM is conservative in its compensation when going up in frequencies. This conservative approach has its merits too, as discussed in this thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...surement.7127/

Floyd Toole takes part in that discussion so it’s worth taking a look at.

Interestingly, room compensation software is a heated issue where there is, regrettably, more opinion than fact. It is wise to choose a conservative approach if the theory and evidence paint a grey picture as opposed to a black or white picture. Some of the «room correction» software packages guide the user to make aggressive adjustments. I talked to one of the authors of one of the highly acclaimed room correction packages out there and he said he found nothing of value in say Toole’s research on acoustics to guide his development of the software. He has great faith in mathematics, it seems.

So apparently, there are different schools of thought in the «room correction» department. More research is needed to make aggressive statements, and therefore aggressive intrusions into the speakers «native» frequency response. Genelec’s conservative approach is therefore a wise one, and hardly something that deserves critique.

Having said that, the user can make manual adjustments to GLM in order to implement one’s own compensations and alterations of the speaker’s native response.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #381
Gear Addict
 
puriteaudio's Avatar
 

Which author was that ?
Keith
Old 4 weeks ago
  #382
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Note..Genelec dealers usually have a GLM available to loan to customers. Use it and decide if you need to own it.

On another point...I wish Genelec would have continued the ‘ones’ concept in a 8361 maybe using 4 of the 8351 woofers..not the separate woofer in the 8260
Good to know and that makes sense that they'd lend it to you. The nice thing about owning GLM is that if you decide to move the sofa to the adjacent wall in your studio then you just re-measure and you're all set.

I've tried IK Multimedia's ARC 2 and thought it was absolute snake oil. Might be one gear purchase where I truly regretted. Dirac makes a pretty good room correction program but it was hard to implement on my system. I have not tried Sonarworks though I've heard good things. Out of all the options out there I think GLM just looks like it makes the most sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #383
Gear Head
 

To Prospective Buyers

There are so many misstatements and factual errors in the above responses to my assessment of the GLM/8351 software that it is not possible to address them -- nor will I be playing the kinds of games that certain threads can degenerate into.
Instead, it is worthwhile to step back and look at Gearslutz and my posts.
I purchase (lots) of equipment on the basis of Gearslutz posts and reviews. This thread was a major source of information for my purchase decision.
I purchased the 8351 monitors and the GLM package along with it as it seemed to make sense based on the information available. SoundPure also uses these monitors in their studio and assured me they were excellent.
SO I bought the monitors and software, installed them, and started using them.
Once so done, it became clear immediately that the 8351 monitors were superb AND that the GLM software was poor. After examining GLM extensively, talking with Genelec and their US rep, I determined that the design of the product was faulty and have provided some specific reasons for this above.
This information is provided to the potential buyers, like me, who use Gearslutz to make purchases.
You can decide to believe my information (see page 12 of this thread) or others and that is always the individual reader's prerogative.
SINCE I benefit from the users who post product assessments devoid of special interests I feel the obligation to do so myself and now have done this.
AND to give those readers some help in assessing "who is right," read the above criticisms, note the constant reference to "minority" and "only one to say" and then read this review:
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/genelec/2.html
Get the point? Have learned you have to consider the source when making buying decisions on the web and those who use Gearslutz for purchasing decisions are so informed.
My studio is world class, tuned with REW, and sounds perfect for studio feeds and other files played therein. Congrats on a particularly fine monitor, Genelec. Cannot use your GLM room correction, however, because it does not provide meaningful correction.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #384
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
There are so many misstatements and factual errors in the above responses to my assessment of the GLM/8351 software that it is not possible to address them -- nor will I be playing the kinds of games that certain threads can degenerate into.
Instead, it is worthwhile to step back and look at Gearslutz and my posts.
I purchase (lots) of equipment on the basis of Gearslutz posts and reviews. This thread was a major source of information for my purchase decision.
I purchased the 8351 monitors and the GLM package along with it as it seemed to make sense based on the information available. SoundPure also uses these monitors in their studio and assured me they were excellent.
SO I bought the monitors and software, installed them, and started using them.
Once so done, it became clear immediately that the 8351 monitors were superb AND that the GLM software was poor. After examining GLM extensively, talking with Genelec and their US rep, I determined that the design of the product was faulty and have provided some specific reasons for this above.
This information is provided to the potential buyers, like me, who use Gearslutz to make purchases.
You can decide to believe my information (see page 12 of this thread) or others and that is always the individual reader's prerogative.
SINCE I benefit from the users who post product assessments devoid of special interests I feel the obligation to do so myself and now have done this.
AND to give those readers some help in assessing "who is right," read the above criticisms, note the constant reference to "minority" and "only one to say" and then read this review:
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/genelec/2.html
Get the point? Have learned you have to consider the source when making buying decisions on the web and those who use Gearslutz for purchasing decisions are so informed.
My studio is world class, tuned with REW, and sounds perfect for studio feeds and other files played therein. Congrats on a particularly fine monitor, Genelec. Cannot use your GLM room correction, however, because it does not provide meaningful correction.
Hey Craig. Thanks for this. I appreciate your input and opinion with GLM. This is an audio gear forum so it's good to have more impressions for the discussion. I remember reading Sweetwater's reviews on the Focal Twins when I bought them. 33 glowing reviews and 1 real stinker (i think thew reviewer gave it 1 star out of 5). I read his review and kind of dismissed it (because there were 32 others that were glowing) but after owning the Twins for years I can say that his review did mention the flaws that I see everyday with the Twins.

Regarding GLM - I'm sure there's so much that would make it worth it - like if your room isn't treated properly or an odd shape for acoustics and reflections. But it might not be as worth it if your room is treated well.

I'm going to try and demo both in my room soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #385
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
There are so many misstatements and factual errors in the above responses to my assessment of the GLM/8351 software that it is not possible to address them -- nor will I be playing the kinds of games that certain threads can degenerate into.
Instead, it is worthwhile to step back and look at Gearslutz and my posts.
I purchase (lots) of equipment on the basis of Gearslutz posts and reviews. This thread was a major source of information for my purchase decision.
I purchased the 8351 monitors and the GLM package along with it as it seemed to make sense based on the information available. SoundPure also uses these monitors in their studio and assured me they were excellent.
SO I bought the monitors and software, installed them, and started using them.
Once so done, it became clear immediately that the 8351 monitors were superb AND that the GLM software was poor. After examining GLM extensively, talking with Genelec and their US rep, I determined that the design of the product was faulty and have provided some specific reasons for this above.
This information is provided to the potential buyers, like me, who use Gearslutz to make purchases.
You can decide to believe my information (see page 12 of this thread) or others and that is always the individual reader's prerogative.
SINCE I benefit from the users who post product assessments devoid of special interests I feel the obligation to do so myself and now have done this.
AND to give those readers some help in assessing "who is right," read the above criticisms, note the constant reference to "minority" and "only one to say" and then read this review:
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/genelec/2.html
Get the point? Have learned you have to consider the source when making buying decisions on the web and those who use Gearslutz for purchasing decisions are so informed.
My studio is world class, tuned with REW, and sounds perfect for studio feeds and other files played therein. Congrats on a particularly fine monitor, Genelec. Cannot use your GLM room correction, however, because it does not provide meaningful correction.
6moons?

These journalists hear differences where there are none (say between cables) and in this case they reveal that they don't hear differences that are quantifiably there (i.e. changes made by GLM in the frequency response).

I am not saying that one should always hear a difference between "before" and "after" when GLM is implemented. However, GLM shows you which changes have been done to for example the frequency response.

So it would be interesting to see what GLM did in your case and what kind of changes in the frequency response that are not perceived as a change.

Do you have screen shots of the compensations that are made to your left and right 8351 speakers?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #386
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
There are so many misstatements and factual errors in the above responses to my assessment of the GLM/8351 software that it is not possible to address them -- nor will I be playing the kinds of games that certain threads can degenerate into.
Instead, it is worthwhile to step back and look at Gearslutz and my posts.
I purchase (lots) of equipment on the basis of Gearslutz posts and reviews. This thread was a major source of information for my purchase decision.
I purchased the 8351 monitors and the GLM package along with it as it seemed to make sense based on the information available. SoundPure also uses these monitors in their studio and assured me they were excellent.
SO I bought the monitors and software, installed them, and started using them.
Once so done, it became clear immediately that the 8351 monitors were superb AND that the GLM software was poor. After examining GLM extensively, talking with Genelec and their US rep, I determined that the design of the product was faulty and have provided some specific reasons for this above.
This information is provided to the potential buyers, like me, who use Gearslutz to make purchases.
You can decide to believe my information (see page 12 of this thread) or others and that is always the individual reader's prerogative.
SINCE I benefit from the users who post product assessments devoid of special interests I feel the obligation to do so myself and now have done this.
AND to give those readers some help in assessing "who is right," read the above criticisms, note the constant reference to "minority" and "only one to say" and then read this review:
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/genelec/2.html
Get the point? Have learned you have to consider the source when making buying decisions on the web and those who use Gearslutz for purchasing decisions are so informed.
My studio is world class, tuned with REW, and sounds perfect for studio feeds and other files played therein. Congrats on a particularly fine monitor, Genelec. Cannot use your GLM room correction, however, because it does not provide meaningful correction.
You make a fair argument, but linking to 6moons hardly reinforces it.

I mean, they also wrote this review:

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews...esonators.html

Last edited by zephonic; 4 weeks ago at 11:15 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #387
Lives for gear
 

Hello 8351 users,

The GLM kit does not correct the low frequencies ?

Has anyone ever tried to use the 8351 with the Sonaworks software ?

Thanks

Sergio
Old 4 weeks ago
  #388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello 8351 users,

The GLM kit does not correct the low frequencies ?

Has anyone ever tried to use the 8351 with the Sonaworks software ?

Thanks

Sergio
It does to a point, but nothing will replace a very well treated room. I have Sonarworks but don't use it with my 8351s and 7370 sub. GLM works fantastic in my case, leaving nothing else to be desired. But again, my room is very well treated.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #389
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
A dip isn't the same as a null, however. It is straightforward to lift a dip, the main risk is around how localised the dip is and whether the boost is creating a peak at a slightly different measurement position.
A dip in the FR can be caused by a null (basically phase cancellation due to reflections) or it could be caused by something else such as absorption, the transfer function of the system etc. Phase cancellation is always local to specific areas of a room due to room modes. If a dip is caused by phase cancellation (ie null/room modes/ standing waves etc) it is not straightforward at all - in fact its not possible to change this by boosting the EQ at that frequency and you risk famaging your equipment the only thing that can help is acoustic treatment. If a dip is caused by something else you can boost it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #390
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
A dip in the FR can be caused by a null (basically phase cancellation due to reflections) or it could be caused by something else such as absorption, the transfer function of the system etc. Phase cancellation is always local to specific areas of a room due to room modes. If a dip is caused by phase cancellation (ie null/room modes/ standing waves etc) it is not straightforward at all - in fact its not possible to change this by boosting the EQ at that frequency and you risk famaging your equipment the only thing that can help is acoustic treatment. If a dip is caused by something else you can boost it.
Yep. Safe to say a Null no matter how much EQ you apply is still a Null. Only way to deal with nulls is with alternative speaker placements within the room and very thick broadband absorbtion.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump