The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8351 - Anyone else using these? Studio Monitors
Old 7th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I am having them now for more than half year. They are the best speakers I have ever worked with (and have had and worked with ATCs 20, 25, 50 and 150, Barefoots, Focals... and non of them worked nearly as well as a serious tool for critical work). They translate flawlessly every time. They are IMHO the flattest and most accurate speakers there are with the best imaging. Mixing is simple because what you hear is what you get.

They don't get 1% hype they deserve. But resolution award definitely means something (didn't know they received it but I expected it somehow). They have truely scientific approach to testing and Genelecs are usually the best speakers with the most credible data and measurements that actually hold true, apart from other brands which post biased data for the marketing reasons which then ger revealed in Resolution's tests.

Maybe I sound biased but you are nore than welcome to come to my studio and mix with them. I can guarantee you perfect results without any adjustment period.
Plus the are FUN to listen!
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting, I actually find better image on 8351s. But definitely room plays a huge factor with this. I actually don’t find 8351s much warmer which makes me think you have some low mid buildup, which Kiis manage to mitigate due to their cardioid response. In my room ai have greatly controlled SBIR, which makes them sound much more similar. But I find 8351s imaging better due to the coaxial configuration. Also 8351s are able to push more SPL, with my dual Genelec sub configuration there is actually no comparison with regards to SPL and impact.
What dual subs are you using J, and at what crossover freq?
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
What dual subs are you using J, and at what crossover freq?
Two Genelec 7360 subs crossed at 70Hz.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Two Genelec 7360 subs crossed at 70Hz.
Nice. Would love to hear that setup.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Nice. Would love to hear that setup.
If you ever come to Slovenia, you are more than welcome
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you ever come to Slovenia, you are more than welcome
Thank you :¬)
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

I finally decided on speakers and got a pair of 8341s and a 7360 sub. They sound superb.

I first set them up "quick and dirty" - analog with no GLM and they sounded great.
Then I converted to digital AES and and went through the GLM calibration process and this provided a significant improvement over an already great sound.

I have a few questions, maybe somebody can help me with.

1) They sound great they way they are but do these speakers need a break-in period/process?
2) The sub cross-over in GLM defaulted to 80hz. Should I experiment with other values here?
2) Going through the Auto Phase Correction for the Sub in GLM - its says to match the sub with one of the speakers. That seems strange - shouldn't it be matched to both speakers?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I finally decided on speakers and got a pair of 8341s and a 7360 sub. They sound superb.

I first set them up "quick and dirty" - analog with no GLM and they sounded great.
Then I converted to digital AES and and went through the GLM calibration process and this provided a significant improvement over an already great sound.

I have a few questions, maybe somebody can help me with.

1) They sound great they way they are but do these speakers need a break-in period/process?
2) The sub cross-over in GLM defaulted to 80hz. Should I experiment with other values here?
2) Going through the Auto Phase Correction for the Sub in GLM - its say to match the sub with one of the speakers. That seems strange - shouldn't it be matched to both speakers?

Thanks
Congrats, a great combo.

Yes, AES is the bee's kness. The cleaner the signal, the better the sound.

1) A day worth of break-in, in my experience.
2) The default should be 85. Look at the curves in the GLM and see if there's a way to bypass dips by re-setting the crossover.
3)That option is usuful when you have multiple subs and assigning each with a monitor makes sense. In your case go witn both monitors.
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

Superb combo.

1. They don’t need any break in.
2. Default should be 85Hz but as said in the earliest post. Set it so that you get the flattest response but try to set it as low as possible to achieve this in order to get stereo signal to as low as possible with only a single sub.
2. Since one should position both speakers to that the distances to listening position are the same, aligning phase with only one speaker is enough.

I use two subs with 8351s but autophase never worked correctly in my case and I needed to adjust the phase manually. Despite equal distances between speakers and boyh of my subs, it always adjusts one sub for +15 degrees compared to another. While this setting might create maximum level at the crossover point, it messes the response below the crossover as the signals below 50Hz basically null out. So I always had to manually set one of the subs to the same phase shift in GLM.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoveringBit View Post
Congrats, a great combo.

Yes, AES is the bee's kness. The cleaner the signal, the better the sound.

1) A day worth of break-in, in my experience.
2) The default should be 85. Look at the curves in the GLM and see if there's a way to bypass dips by re-setting the crossover.
3)That option is usuful when you have multiple subs and assigning each with a monitor makes sense. In your case go witn both monitors.
Quote:
Superb combo.

1. They don’t need any break in.
2. Default should be 85Hz but as said in the earliest post. Set it so that you get the flattest response but try to set it as low as possible to achieve this in order to get stereo signal to as low as possible with only a single sub.
2. Since one should position both speakers to that the distances to listening position are the same, aligning phase with only one speaker is enough.

I use two subs with 8351s but autophase never worked correctly in my case and I needed to adjust the phase manually. Despite equal distances between speakers and boyh of my subs, it always adjusts one sub for +15 degrees compared to another. While this setting might create maximum level at the crossover point, it messes the response below the crossover as the signals below 50Hz basically null out. So I always had to manually set one of the subs to the same phase shift in GLM.
Ok, Thanks
1. So not much break in.
2. Your're right is does default to 85 (not 80) for the sub X-over. I will try it on different (lower settings) to see. Agreed, I would like to have as much bass coming out of the 8341's as possible for directivity/stereo imaging so I will try some lower cross over settings to bring a bit more of the lower mids into stereo. I guess theoretically that will lower my headroom (making the satellites work harder), but I have a gigantic amount of headroom with this setup in my small room.
3. I will play around with Auto-Phase to see if a different approach makes a difference in sound.
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Addict

The 8351 do however perform extremely well without any sub.
This is actually one of their USP's.
Old 12th January 2019
Is everyone here buying these monitors on credit cards? How can anyone afford these?
Old 12th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottombunk View Post
Is everyone here buying these monitors on credit cards? How can anyone afford these?
A "real" day job Lol.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well. Most people drive around in cars costing many times what these monitors cost, so the way I see it, it’s mostly a question of priority...

(They are out of impulse purchase range though, I’ll ahree to that...)
Old 12th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydan View Post
Well. Most people drive around in cars costing many times what these monitors cost, so the way I see it, it’s mostly a question of priority...

(They are out of impulse purchase range though, I’ll ahree to that...)
Buy at Sweetwater or Vintage King on their card with no interest for 2 years or more. That how I afford expense gear
Old 12th January 2019
Save until you can afford. The benefit there is by the time you've reached the target you have more options including used.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Buy used, there's plenty of 8351s on the used market at a more real price.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

Ever since I reviewed these a few years ago I have really wanted a pair. They are really nice. Eventually a pair will be mine
Old 13th January 2019
Gear Maniac

If you cant afford it and you work as a pro, just buy something cheaper.
I campared 8030B with 8351 and the sound difference is not as big as the price difference, marginal returns, you know.
For the record I own both.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

These two speakers are the best investment I've ever made. I do not know what's going to get better. These speakers have everything you need to work successfully.

I work in a relatively small control room, but very well provided with treatment. Although the room is small, the speakers perform best after the treatment if they are quite far apart, so about 2.1 meters. The speakers are turned 30 degrees towards the listener. I myself sit about 1.80 away from the speakers - 30-40 cm within the equilateral triangle from the top.

Genelec does not recommend this in principle. According to Genelec, one should sit at the very top of the triangle.

Acousticians also have different opinions about this position. I simply rolled back and forth with the chair long enough to find out how my ears wanted to hear these two speakers. If it sounds and feels right it can hardly be that wrong.

I sold my NS 10's. Between the Genelecs are still 2 Mixcubes - only to check against.

I suppose that I could do without the Mixcubes by now - but they are a nice change.

In my room those speakers perform flat down to nearly 30 hz. I feel no need for a sub.

The Genelecs are, for me, the key to transferring work to the world's listening systems.

Those speakers are really worth the investment. I would rather save a few month longer cash instead of making a compromise and choose a cheaper pair of speakers.

cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The only problem with the ones is you end up wanting more than one pair for the other rooms.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
The only problem with the ones is you end up wanting more than one pair for the other rooms.
Wanting more then one pair for the other rooms? Actually The Ones are dangerously addictive, I ended up with 9 of them in my control room!

5 x 8331 + 2 x 7360 (5.1 surround)
2 x 8351 + 2 x 7360 (2.1 stereo)
2 x 8351 + 2 x 7360 (2.1 stereo pointed at an alternate listening position at the back of the control room)

(actually I do not have 6 x 7360, the 2 x 7360 are shared between the setups and are controlled by the GLM software that I use as a monitor selector on a dedicated Macbook Air. When I select a group all the speakers and the subwoofers are updated in real time with the correct calibration for that group. Actually non of the speakers or subs have a permanent calibration stored inside, all is controlled by the GLM software)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music BE View Post
Wanting more then one pair for the other rooms? Actually The Ones are dangerously addictive, I ended up with 9 of them in my control room!

2 x 8351 + 2 x 7360 (2.1 stereo pointed at an alternate listening position at the back of the control room)

(actually I do not have 6 x 7360, the 2 x 7360 are shared between the setups and are controlled by the GLM software that I use as a monitor selector on a dedicated Macbook Air. When I select a group all the speakers and the subwoofers are updated in real time with the correct calibration for that group. Actually non of the speakers or subs have a permanent calibration stored inside, all is controlled by the GLM software)

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee boy View Post
What he said.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Agree, in my opinion still the most impressive nearfield speakers. I am running two systems consisting of 2 x 8351 + 2 x 7360 and this systen simply gives me the most accurate sound reproduction.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hello,

you were able to compare them directly with Unity THE boulder 3- Top ATC - Dutch&Dutch 8c?
Do they have good punch and slam in the bass?
Do you have ever try to listen to old registration, like Beatles Rollng Stones Deep Purple? Are they still enjoyable?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

LOL Yeah I have a feeling I will end up in the same boat. Well at least My retiring Genelecs end up in my house. Already the Pair of 8040s are doing excellent duty as my TV speakers and sleep machine duties

I now sleep with the sounds of lightning and rain since I installed the pair in my house bedroom tv
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey Jantex, I saw some of your posts on the Genelec forums, and I was wondering if you ever got to test out the Genelec 8350 and what you thought of those compared to the 8351 (outside of paper specs and test results).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have used 8350 them and they are phenomenal. They don't have the clarity and precision imaging of 8351s, but have some other positive attributes (they are slightly tighter and can go way louder).

I would choose 8351s anytime when low end volume isn't of such major importance. But nevertheless, 8350 are some of the best monitors and definitely best in value/price ratio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargonfilter View Post
Hey Jantex, I saw some of your posts on the Genelec forums, and I was wondering if you ever got to test out the Genelec 8350 and what you thought of those compared to the 8351 (outside of paper specs and test results).
I'm not Jantex but I have a pair of Genelec 8350. The 8350 have a very narrow vertical dispersion at 1.8 kHz (where they crossover the drivers) so the tweeter needs to be at ear level. They're a bit finnicky in that regard. Apart from that, I feel like they need to be pushed a little before they start to sound good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search