The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can Someone PLEASE help me identify this noise??? & How to get rid of it
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Head

Can Someone PLEASE help me identify this noise??? & How to get rid of it

I have been getting this noise from all of my tube gear.

Noise

You can hear the noise in this audio clip-- it was was picked up from the tubes of my Tube-Tech MP1A
But my other tube gear (AMPS) also pick this up. Some more than others (oddly my newest VOX AC15 Hardwired picks it up the strongest - And it occurs when no guitar is plugged in. I can cut the noise out by turning the treble all the way down on the amp EQ)

First off...
Can someone identity this noise? It doesn't fit the description of any noise i've been researching on forums..It's not computer noise, and it's not cell noise-- I realize it has that fax-machinesuqe morse code thing going on and sounds like processor interference, but I can assure you, these are not the cause of it, i've already isolated those factors out of the equation.

Also can someone help me eliminated it!

A few notes:
AD/DA: Burl Mothership
DAW: Avid HD Native
Cables: Mogami Gold and Gotham 3

trouble shooting i've already tried:
Replaced dimmers with standard light switches
Turned off all electronics ( even shut off breaker to room)
Used different sockets, extension cords, etc etc

Last edited by Rezivor; 29th May 2015 at 04:37 AM..
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Head

Have you tried lifting the ground on this equipment? I have a power strip with a clipped ground prong for when this happens. It sounds like computer noise, through a ground fault. Edit: "ground loop."
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I got similiar noise from my internet connection. Not always but very often. Might help to turn the inet off.
Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds like the noise an unshielded computer monitor or FX display would give off in the old days. Anything like that on, under or near the tube pre's.

Other than that possible if you have an electronic "invisible" dog fence around your property, that can cause a similar sound to this. I had this problem with my Electrodyne console as the frame of that was wood. Took me a year to figure it out. Chris Muth actually asked me if I had an invisible fence, seems Phil Ramone had the same problem and Chris discovered it for him. Turned off my Dog Guard fence and the noise stopped. Took a year but that little trick fixed it. I was amazed.

Motown had a similar problem when they first moved to LA, Bob Ohlson told me it ended up being loose connectors on the power transformer on the pole on the street outside the place... you never know!

Good luck in tracking down the noise!
Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

I popped the sample into RX-4 and it's pretty easy to see (in addition to being easy to hear).

The interference is very frequency specific; with the repeated, rhythmic bursts (Morse-like) at 1 kHz (can't see lower than 1 kHz due to lots of low-freq hash below 700Hz), 2 kHz, 3 kHz and 7 kHz. Those freq bands appear to get more quiet as the freq gets higher, similar to harmonic content in overtone series...

There are also additional freq bands that appear to be continuous (not Morse-like) at 4 kHz, 6 kHz, 8 kHz and 10 kHz. There may also be some very quiet bands at 11 kHz and 12 kHz, but they are very quiet compared to the rest.

The frequency bands are extremely specific and narrow.

You could probably clean that up with RX-4, but it would be much easier to try to figure out what it is and eliminate it.

I have no suggestions. It seems too low-frequency to be a radio transmission... I got nothin'.
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Sounds like the noise an unshielded computer monitor or FX display would give off in the old days. Anything like that on, under or near the tube pre's.

Other than that possible if you have an electronic "invisible" dog fence around your property, that can cause a similar sound to this. I had this problem with my Electrodyne console as the frame of that was wood. Took me a year to figure it out. Chris Muth actually asked me if I had an invisible fence, seems Phil Ramone had the same problem and Chris discovered it for him. Turned off my Dog Guard fence and the noise stopped. Took a year but that little trick fixed it. I was amazed.

Motown had a similar problem when they first moved to LA, Bob Ohlson told me it ended up being loose connectors on the power transformer on the pole on the street outside the place... you never know!

Good luck in tracking down the noise!

Oh god... Hopefully it's the monitor. I do have a whatever dell lcd I'm using with a weird thunderbolt dongle- maybe that's it, but - they actually film the TV show "it's always sunny in Philadelphia " next door. (True story) and there may be some weird who know what emitting something out into the world. I've already shut off the power the every breaker in the warehouse except the studio. Even picks up outside (extension cord) when I find it- celebration will ensue
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search