The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADCs with multiple sample rates simultaneously?
Old 28th May 2015
Gear Nut

ADCs with multiple sample rates simultaneously?

Hi all.

Probably a bit of a silly question but I've been eyeing up the Lynx Aurora 16. It looks like a really good ADC. Looking at the manual though, you choose your sample rate i.e. 96Khz or 44.1Khz and bit-depth of 16 or 24 and then that applies to all 16 input channels. I understand why this is as it runs on a single clock.

My question is though, are there any quality ADCs out there that will do multiple resolutions at a time? i.e. Channel 1 would be 96khz and channel 2 would be 44.1khz? You would think if they were in the same division it might work, i.e. 44.1khz and 88.2khz.

Anyway, if nothing like this exists, it's not a huge deal, just if that was an option I'd probably opt for that as it may come in handy.

thanks in advance
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoonboy View Post
Hi all.

Probably a bit of a silly question but I've been eyeing up the Lynx Aurora 16. It looks like a really good ADC. Looking at the manual though, you choose your sample rate i.e. 96Khz or 44.1Khz and bit-depth of 16 or 24 and then that applies to all 16 input channels. I understand why this is as it runs on a single clock.

My question is though, are there any quality ADCs out there that will do multiple resolutions at a time? i.e. Channel 1 would be 96khz and channel 2 would be 44.1khz? You would think if they were in the same division it might work, i.e. 44.1khz and 88.2khz.

Anyway, if nothing like this exists, it's not a huge deal, just if that was an option I'd probably opt for that as it may come in handy.

thanks in advance
Found out the AES16e-SRC card for this unit can resample the native sample rate to different rates on each channel. That will do me :D
Old 29th May 2015
As a matter of interest... What would it come in handy for???
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Addict

Prism Dream AD-2 will do 2 different sample rates
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshoe View Post
Prism Dream AD-2 will do 2 different sample rates
thanks for the tip
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As a matter of interest... What would it come in handy for???
For a small studio, if different folk want different to record and have different rates.
Old 1st June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoonboy View Post
For a small studio, if different folk want different to record and have different rates.
Simultaneously??? Surely not. I can't actually imagine any scenario in which I'd want different rates simultaneously. And if you don't need them simultaneously most any quality converter will achieve what you want. It just takes a second to open a new session at a different rate.
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Simultaneously??? Surely not. I can't actually imagine any scenario in which I'd want different rates simultaneously. And if you don't need them simultaneously most any quality converter will achieve what you want. It just takes a second to open a new session at a different rate.
I could see it being useful if you are tracking at one rate and need to mixdown to another, a pretty common scenario.
Old 1st June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I could see it being useful if you are tracking at one rate and need to mixdown to another, a pretty common scenario.
But you aren't going to do that simultaneously. You'll do one first and then the other. What am I missing here?
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
But you aren't going to do that simultaneously. You'll do one first and then the other. What am I missing here?
The a/d and d/a would simultaneously be at different rates at mixdown. For example 16 channels out at 96k going to a summing box then back into the computer on a stereo channel at 44.1k. Though it would still depend on the software and driver being able to access different rates simultaneously.
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Addict

In mastering (or for testing purposes) it is useful to capture different sample rates at the same time.
Old 2nd June 2015
Quote:
not to mention that I can't think of a DAW that runs multiple sample rates at the same time....if any is advertising that feature, you can bet there's realtime SRC happening.

Quote:
Usually a separate rig is used in this instance.

Quote:
The a/d and d/a would simultaneously be at different rates at mixdown. For example 16 channels out at 96k going to a summing box then back into the computer on a stereo channel at 44.1k. Though it would still depend on the software and driver being able to access different rates simultaneously.
Again, I'm not aware of any DAW software able to do this. You'd probably end up with 2 different software packages - at which point you might as well use 2 different interfaces as well, and it's really more professional to use 2 separate computers.

Also much more usual to have a tracking setup at the lower sample rate and capture the analogue sum at a higher rate! Why would you downsample before mastering if your session is at 96k? just capture at 96k!
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
not to mention that I can't think of a DAW that runs multiple sample rates at the same time....if any is advertising that feature, you can bet there's realtime SRC happening.

Usually a separate rig is used in this instance.

Again, I'm not aware of any DAW software able to do this. You'd probably end up with 2 different software packages - at which point you might as well use 2 different interfaces as well, and it's really more professional to use 2 separate computers.

Also much more usual to have a tracking setup at the lower sample rate and capture the analogue sum at a higher rate! Why would you downsample before mastering if your session is at 96k? just capture at 96k!
I'm not saying it's the best solution. Certainly a separate converter, separate rig, separate mastering is ideal. Just trying to provide an example of where it might be useful.
Old 2nd June 2015
Quote:
Unless you are doing a hack mastering job I'm not really sure I understand why you'd want to do that?

Edit: just saw your answer above.
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

I guess the basic idea is to capture backup versions at a different sampling rate, if the user should so require. I know Prism and at least Drawmer have products that output various simultaneous rates. A much more use useful feature would be simultaneous PCM output plus DSD for backup, is there a unit out there that does this, anyone?
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Maniac
The cranesong spider can (kind of do this) on in the direct out, one in the mix bus

Last edited by Johnny Dance; 2nd June 2015 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Tori spelling
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

I work with live classical recordings every day. I'd love a single ADC that could run 16-44.1 for our live cd backup, 24-96 to pthd and 24-48k for our video world (hdsdi webcast and file encoding)

I know it's rare, but that's a very valid use case.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search