The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
T4B Burn-In?
Old 25th May 2015
Gear Nut

T4B Burn-In?

Hi, I'm not sure if this belongs in the "Newbie" section...I'm not seeing it discussed on any search results.

Does a new T4B need a period of burn-in? I just swapped in a more expensive T4B to a custom La2a rig and it sounds worse to me...Kind of harsh. I'm wondering if it just needs to burn-in? Hours, days? I'm not really familiar with the actual mechanism of the technology enough to know whether burn-in would apply?

Thanks!
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

nope, I would look into different input transformers and different resistors in the resistor network before the T4B.
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Define 'kind of harsh'. The opto part of the T4b does practically nothing until you have some compression going on and as it is essentially a resistor (that happens to react to light) the amount of distortion produced is fairly small, typically second harmonic (IIRC) and will vary depending on amount of compression.
The other 'part' inside is a light source, usually the glowing bit from a nightlight (not an LED). This is fed with audio signal and glows brighter depending on signal level. As this is not a high frequency device it 'averages' the light level.
The 'opto resistor' is also fairly 'slow' but different 'grades' are available which will react differently. Typically quite fast attack' and slow release.
Matt S
Old 28th May 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for the input guys. I guess one of them may be just imparting more harmonic distortion. I'm not sure why that would sound harsher/edgier than the other, though, a custom cell. I think I need to do a more formal A/B test just to better compare the qualities of each. I just swapped them out and went to work on different material which is clearly not the best way to compare...
Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search