The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL out to storage today. Hybrid in tomorrow...
Old 25th May 2015

SSL out to storage today. Hybrid in tomorrow...

Man it has been an incredible month or so of learning and preparation. Been doing some rough hybrid mixes and really digging the results. We moved the SSL out today to a climate controlled storage unit till she sells. We plug everything in tomorrow, unfortunately the Argosy desk won’t be here till Wednesday.

I’m really happy, I am at place in my life where this transition is necessary. When the SSL sells I will pay off all my debt and be 100% debt free and at 51 y/o and 2 little kids that’s f’n nice. Also my career focus has shifted and the new setup is going to be more conducive to my current creative flow. Time to grow or go! I am very excited and completely not sad about the SSL being out of the studio. I can’t wait for it to sell and move on completely. Ask the boat owner the 2 happiest days, the day they buy their boat and the day they sell it. I spoke to Dave Way this week, the dude I got it from and he totally felt me. It needs to go to a home with someone who is into it and wants a large format SSL.

Anyway, the new set up will be in full effect by the end of the week and pictures with come... I attached a pic from tonight with 2 folding tables. End of week we will have a sweet Argosy and everything will be up and running.

Attached Thumbnails
SSL out to storage today. Hybrid in tomorrow...-dlattach.php-2.jpg  
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

Looks like you're set up and ready to mix my last song James. I'll send it right over.

Steve
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

Did you end up keeping the obsidian rack? Thats the only hardware piece I really miss from my rack.
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

congratulations for this move!
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

James, wow, I've followed your journey for years and it's been an interesting evolution. I came up to your loft in LA a couple of times for some gear shootouts and have followed a similar journey (sans the SSL). I settled on a hybrid setup last year and it really has turned out, for me, to be the best approach for making music. Sometimes I'll mock up the song ITB but when I'm going final will track from and then mix to outboard.

I have to admit I've been envious of your SSL for years thinking I had to get there. I eventually decided that wasn't going to happen and for less money built a hybrid rig. Getting out of debt by 60 and having the house paid for is the American goal. No debt means you can enjoy life.
Old 26th May 2015
Gear Maniac

James, congrats on everything. I've been following your studio for years on GS and YouTube. It was initially shocking to read about you selling the SSL, but the reality is that many large console owners have successfully transitioned to smaller, more efficient hybrid setups. I'm curious to see everything racked in the Argosy.
Old 26th May 2015

Thanks guys. We set up the hybrid studio today. Everything worked. Nice. Tomorrow we start putting together our mix template and Wednesday our Argosy arrives. Really exciting. Got a couple of people interested in my SSL. Hopefully it sells soon.
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

I notice the lamp on top of your rack. I hate to bring it up, but compared to the ssl, that lamp is gonna provide some sticker shock on your power bill.
Old 26th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I notice the lamp on top of your rack. I hate to bring it up, but compared to the ssl, that lamp is gonna provide some sticker shock on your power bill.
Lol. Actually the ssl was surprisingly not that much on my electric bill. Maybe $80 a month.
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

Congrats James. You're an inspiration to all believers in the Grand Gearslutz Code -- Follow Your Heart and to Thine Ears Be True!

:-)

Last edited by timtoonz; 26th May 2015 at 04:14 AM..
Old 26th May 2015
mixmixmix
James, congrats on making right decision. Are you gonna use analog summing box?
Old 26th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
Congrats James. You're an inspiration to all believers in the Grand Gearslutz Code -- Follow Your Heart and to Thine Ears Be True!

:-)
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmixmix View Post
James, congrats on making right decision. Are you gonna use analog summing box?
I am, Burl B32.

We set everything up last night and did a full system check and everything worked! Today we set up out mix template and patch everything in and tomorrow the Argosy gets here.
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

Will you be using a DAW controller now? What going into the Argosy?
Old 26th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Yo James, good luck man, I totally get where you're coming from by selling it - but what a desk and what a blast to have owned one!

I still remember coming to visit not long after you got it.

Still, family first...I hear you on that one.

Hope the next chapter pans out well, I'm sure it will.
Attached Thumbnails
SSL out to storage today. Hybrid in tomorrow...-hemispheres-1.png  
Old 26th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Will you be using a DAW controller now? What going into the Argosy?
Avid Artist Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44deluxe View Post
Yo James, good luck man, I totally get where you're coming from by selling it - but what a desk and what a blast to have owned one!

I still remember coming to visit not long after you got it.

Still, family first...I hear you on that one.

Hope the next chapter pans out well, I'm sure it will.
Thanks man, things are looking up. Time for a new direction.
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

James I went the same way 6 years ago we get rid of 56 channel amek desk - 6 years with Ssl x rack 24 channel hybrid setup. Avid artist mix as controller and lot of outboard. Invested more to mics and fx. And to Randall rack with Salvation Mod mts moduls. Completly happy
Old 27th May 2015

Got everything running, template organized and I/O named and did a little mixing, damn sounds nice. Gotta get accustom to the gain staging but I'm already getting a feel.

Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Live room no more?
Old 27th May 2015

We have the same studio setup.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear
Looks wonderful. I'm sure it sounds wonderful too.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
We have the same studio setup.
James my man...I gotta tell ya I just love how fearless you are in making such a drastic move! Your upward and onward attitude is an exceptional inspiration.. I have been building my new studio with a Neve based console and multiple facets of music production for 2 years and three months now. Unlike you, I am somewhat married to my outboard gear and feel that it ads a great deal to what I try to bring to the table. And because of that I take the Charleton Heston .."From My Cold Dead Hands" approach to my outboard gear and console. You had stated in an earlier video that you were not married to your gear. Well I am!!! What is happening with that LA2-A?
Old 27th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
James my man...I gotta tell ya I just love how fearless you are in making such a drastic move! Your upward and onward attitude is an exceptional inspiration.. I have been building my new studio with a Neve based console and multiple facets of music production for 2 years and three months now. Unlike you, I am somewhat married to my outboard gear and feel that it ads a great deal to what I try to bring to the table. And because of that I take the Charleton Heston .."From My Cold Dead Hands" approach to my outboard gear and console. You had stated in an earlier video that you were not married to your gear. Well I am!!! What is happening with that LA2-A?
Well I am a bit scared to be totally honest but I have to have faith that everything is for the good. I have gear I dig but there's nothing I couldn't do without, cuz no matter what replaced it or not I'd still sound like me.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Are you still going to be mixing other peoples music or just your own? What are you going to do with the SSLmixingonline.com domain name?
Old 27th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Are you still going to be mixing other peoples music or just your own? What are you going to do with the SSLmixingonline.com domain name?
More then ever, I have migrated over and have a domain forward to:
Ultimate Mixing Online
Old 29th May 2015

The new setup!

Old 29th May 2015
Gear Guru

Looks great James.
How does the Burl summing compare to the SSL?

Old 29th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Looks great James.
How does the Burl summing compare to the SSL?
Thanks RB. Man I can’t really tell, different. More modern and slick. They both have their thing. The room sounds way better. Very different energy too. I really like it.
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Head

Love watching your videos. You get me motivated to go clean up my racks so that's what I'm going to go do right now. Random OT note here ...... I saw Kiss one month after you did in Providence Rhode Island. What an awesome show at the height of all that they were at the time. Couldn't hear for 2 days. Now, back on topic. More videos! ;-)
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Did you shoot out the burl with any other summers?

Ssl sigma?
Old 30th May 2015
Im not really a rock guy but it does somehow seem momentus that James Lugo of sslmixingonline is selling his SSL and going hybrid...sign of the times...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search