The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Nearfield" Monitors Studio Monitors
Old 19th December 2018
Here for the gear

I know I’m four years late to this thread, and I don’t even know how I got here, but I just finished the whole thing. I could have read “Infinite Jest” in less time than it took to read these posts. In fact, it was a lot like “Infinite Jest” in that it sucked me in, quite charmingly, at first. But soon I found myself in the middle of some rickety rope bridge from an Indiana Jones movie - I had already made it this far through the rallying of arguments - might as well finish. I never post, and in the past I’ve been banished, but let me say this: murphythecat87, arksun, et al, all made many valid points. However, in textbook gearslutz fashion, they all ganged up and disparaged the new guy, The Audio Guild, who I’m sorry to say, was more on point than anyone else, from a technical, and thus, a more objective standpoint. Unfortunately, he was quickly pulled down into the GS muck with the rest of the uppity hyenas, and was slinging dung like a regular GS monkey. I mean, what was wrong with the guy who built his own monitors who had candles on them? Looked a lot better than most control rooms. I followed this thread because it interested me. I have degrees in both Mathematics and Physics. I’m a middle aged dork. Not that anyone will care or even read this, so I won’t get into technicalities, but I will say both The Audio Guild and the pack of hyenas have holes in their physics, but The Audio Guild had fewer. And the last squirt harping on The Audio Guild’s avatar was typical of what GS has become (or, rather, already had become, four years ago.) And as much as the topic interested me at first, it soon reminded me of something my father used to say:

“Boy, if you wanna sit here and pick gnat sh*+ out of black pepper all day, suit yourself. But I’m going to work.”

Slow dancing with fidelity is a worthy venture, but be careful not to lift her veil. You might not like what you see (or hear).

Okay, that’s all. I’m whistling in the dark here, and I probably just got myself booted again. Sorry if I offended anyone. Hyenas, monkeys, and squirts are all God’s creatures, too. Or so I’m told. See ya in another five years. There are still great and knowledgeable folks on here. I don’t mean to paint with too broad of a brush. Maybe just one of those medium-sized fan brushes Bob Ross used to paint his “happy little clouds” with. So, that said, Happy Little Clouds to Whatever-You-Celebrate this Holiday Season. I’m done. ✍️
Old 19th December 2018
Here for the gear

Thoughtful post, beautifully written. Happy holidays, chefhenry.com.
Old 19th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Henry View Post
Thoughtful post, beautifully written. Happy holidays, chefhenry.com.
You, too, Chef. May the next year be a good one.

Best,

I.A.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Addict
I never saw this thread till now. Point source as a concept is alluring. Since this thread was opened in 2015, Genelec have written detailed articles on their point source approach. The links below (one technical note and one AES paper) also go through the history of coaxial designs.

Recommended reading. And maybe someone would have liked to comment on the Genelec papers?

https://www.genelec.com/documents/ot...al%20Paper.pdf

https://www.genelec.com/sites/defaul...03_v_1.0.2.pdf
Old 19th December 2018
m03
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.A. Newhart View Post
And the last squirt harping on The Audio Guild’s avatar was typical of what GS has become (or, rather, already had become, four years ago.)
You might want to look back at the first page and make note of who needed to have their posts edited/removed first. The Audio Guild appears to have come into the thread with a bad attitude at the start, which contributed to the direction the thread took.
Old 19th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m03 View Post
You might want to look back at the first page and make note of who needed to have their posts edited/removed first. The Audio Guild appears to have come into the thread with a bad attitude at the start, which contributed to the direction the thread took.
Like I said, I read the whole thing. And I called out the Audio Guild, too. Maybe you missed what I was saying. No big deal. Happy Holidays, friend.

Best,

I.A.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search